McCain and Russia

Lode

Professional
Aug 10, 2008
Tejas
This maybe flamebating.

But During this war in Georgia, McCain came out very strongly against Russia. And he said something that befuddled me.

Part of his stated solution was to call on the UN security council to issue a resolution condemning Russia.

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | McCain Calls On United Nations To Condemn Russia's "Unacceptable" Aggression

I'm kinda young okay... so maybe I'm missing something, but this struck me right away. Someone tell me the reason this isn't crazy.

Russia's a permanent member of the security council with full veto power over any resolution!

It's seems like playing politics in an exceptionally daft way. Am I missing something here, or is that crazy?

This maybe flamebating.

But During this war in Georgia, McCain came out very strongly against Russia. And he said something that befuddled me.

Part of his stated solution was to call on the UN security council to issue a resolution condemning Russia.

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | McCain Calls On United Nations To Condemn Russia's "Unacceptable" Aggression

I'm kinda young okay... so maybe I'm missing something, but this struck me right away. Someone tell me the reason this isn't crazy.

Russia's a permanent member of the security council with full veto power over any resolution!

It's seems like playing politics in an exceptionally daft way. Am I missing something here, or is that crazy?

Obama said the same. Supposed to be that if one of the Security Council members is involved in the conflict they should recuse themselves. Chances of that happening?

This maybe flamebating.

Politcal posturing is all----acting tough.

BTW--I didnt know Texans even used the word "daft". :lol:

From McCain's statement:
"Georgia is an ancient country, at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Central Asia, and one of the world's first nations to adopt Christianity as an official religion."

Does anyone wonder why he's nicknamed McSame?

Obama said the same. Supposed to be that if one of the Security Council members is involved in the conflict they should recuse themselves. Chances of that happening?

Exactly Obama called for the same resolution....

Difference is, Obama called for restraint by both Georgia and Russia when Russia first invaded. That's akin to Bush Sr. calling for restraint by both Iraq and Kuwait when Iraq invaded Kuwait.....

Difference is, Obama called for restraint by both Georgia and Russia when Russia first invaded. That's akin to Bush Sr. calling for restraint by both Iraq and Kuwait when Iraq invaded Kuwait.....

Georgia started invading regions which had declared independence 15 years ago. People who considered themselves Russia and who Russia had granted passports too. Russia considers them citizens. It was an Invasion, and Russian military were killed when this happened.

Heavy damage in Tskhinvali, mostly at gov't center - washingtonpost.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-080808-georgia-ossetia-webaug09,0,4176197.story

Very true. Kudos.

A reading of Obama's remarks make it clear that he was advocating a cessation of warfare and was not advocating a position as to blame or responsibility as all the facts were not in yet.

It is also clear that McCain was trying to lay the blame soley on Russia. McCain's obvious conflict of interest because of his ties to Georgia's paid lobbiest cast doubt on his motives. What prompted his belicose remarks? His desire to give his customer their money's worth? Or was it simply an attempt to make political hay as his appearance with Leiberman would suggest?

Georgia started invading regions which had declared independence 15 years ago. People who considered themselves Russia and who Russia had granted passports too. Russia considers them citizens. It was an Invasion, and Russian military were killed when this happened.

Heavy damage in Tskhinvali, mostly at gov't center - washingtonpost.com

Georgia invades breakaway South Ossetia province; Russia sends in tanks -- chicagotribune.com

Bush warns Russia over disputed Georgian provinces - Yahoo! News

The Russian foreign minister said Thursday that Georgia could "forget about" getting back two separatist regions in Georgia, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, both much aligned with Russia. Medvedev also met with their leaders in Kremlin this past week, raising the prospect that Moscow could absorb the regions even though the territory is internationally recognized as being within Georgia's borders.

A reading of Obama's remarks make it clear that he was advocating a cessation of warfare and was not advocating a position as to blame or responsibility as all the facts were not in yet.

It is also clear that McCain was trying to lay the blame soley on Russia. McCain's obvious conflict of interest because of his ties to Georgia's paid lobbiest cast doubt on his motives. What prompted his belicose remarks? His desire to give his customer their money's worth? Or was it simply an attempt to make political hay as his appearance with Leiberman would suggest?

No Russia was exerting it's power over it's neighbors....
Obama has since sided with the Georgians, his lack of knowledge disallowed him to come out and lay blame where it belonged with the aggressor the Russians.

Bush warns Russia over disputed Georgian provinces - Yahoo! News

The Russian foreign minister said Thursday that Georgia could "forget about" getting back two separatist regions in Georgia, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, both much aligned with Russia. Medvedev also met with their leaders in Kremlin this past week, raising the prospect that Moscow could absorb the regions even though the territory is internationally recognized as being within Georgia's borders.

I never said it wasn't internationally recognized as Georgia.

I said The people of Ossetia consider themselves Russian, and declared themselves independent 15 years ago. The people of Ossetia have self determination, not 'international recognition.'

When Georgia sent in tanks and started war on it's own citizens, Russia moved in and protected the people they also thought of as their citizens.

It's a very complicated issue, not simply Russian aggression as much as the media would like to portray it as such.

When Georgia sends in tanks to a disputed area, and it is disputed, and start shelling a city that the "International Community" considers Georgian, they are at the very best, committing war crimes against their own people.

The people who declared independance and think of themselves as Russian. As does Russia. The reason a shaky peace has developed has been nobody's done anything crazy megalomaniacal power grabs. Till Saakashvili decided to send in tanks.

Good and bad are usually pretty childish ways of looking at things in international politics. And it is in this one as well.

I never said it wasn't internationally recognized as Georgia.

I said The people of Ossetia consider themselves Russian, and declared themselves independent 15 years ago. The people of Ossetia have self determination, not 'international recognition.'

When Georgia sent in tanks and started war on it's own citizens, Russia moved in and protected the people they also thought of as their citizens. It's a very complicated issue, not simply Russian aggression as much as the media would like to portray it as such.

When Georgia sends in tanks to a disputed area, and it is disputed, and start shelling a city that the "International Community" considers Georgian, they are at the very best, committing war crimes against their own people.

The people who declared independance and think of themselves as Russian. As does Russia. The reason a shaky peace has developed has been nobody's done anything crazy megalomaniacal power grabs. Till Saakashvili decided to send in tanks.

Good and bad are usually pretty childish ways of looking at things in international politics. And it is in this one as well.

See Georgia had every right to keep the peace within their own internationally recognized borders. Russia had no right to invade the sovereign borders of Georgia...

This maybe flamebating.

The most important statement you made in this post is ...

..... I have no comment on your question, but I sure do respect you for asking and wanting to find out! :eusa_angel:

1 - rep point coming your way. :eusa_angel:

Funny. Obama's position was quite similar to Dubya's.

This maybe flamebating.

No, you're not crazy (not about this at least, I reserve the right to change my mind, of course).

McCain is playing to the domestic audience and knows perfectly well that Russia won't let the UN condemn it offically.

No, you're not crazy (not about this at least, I reserve the right to change my mind, of course).

McCain is playing to the domestic audience and knows perfectly well that Russia won't let the UN condemn it offically.

I suppose Obama is playing to the domestic audience too, huh, since he suggested the same thing?

Forum List

Back