The biggest mistake the US made

The question remains...what did we have to do to demonstrate the power of our new toy?

After Hiroshima, did we need a second demonstration?
Did we have to drop on a populated area to demonstrate the capability of our bomb?

Could we have dropped one bomb on a military occupied island and told them we have fifty more just like it?

By the history I read, yes they did need a second dose. What is remarkable is that they surrendered at all.

Definition of moral bankruptcy; those who never suffered gleefully cheering when others do (especially without any need).

The question remains...what did we have to do to demonstrate the power of our new toy?

After Hiroshima, did we need a second demonstration?
Did we have to drop on a populated area to demonstrate the capability of our bomb?

Could we have dropped one bomb on a military occupied island and told them we have fifty more just like it?
We had a 3rd bomb. We were ready to drop it if they didn't surrender.

Sorry, this story it is not current events, but I think such things do not have time estimation.

Today the 9 th of August 2015, we live our lives, but 241 000 people had died 70 years ago for no reason. They thought that the WW II was over ... but not for them.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
America believes that its internal and external policies is always right. And this is the biggest of its mistakes. Decided on the genocide in favor of its geopolitical interests - the top of inhumanity. This blood will never wash off from the US history, and the fact that even after 70 years, the US is not ready to admit that committed a terrible mistake says only one thing - the US continues to erroneous and selfish policy, both domestically and abroad.

I am so sorry, I thought we were confident enough to admit the things we had done.
The biggest mistake the U.S. made was not letting Patton invade Russia and not dropping a nuke on Moscow. That's why the world is so screwed up today.

The world was a safer place when two superpowers were in place, each side could control their client states. Since the fall of the soviet Union the world has become a more dangerous place.

Patton was delusional , he though he was reincarnated form earlier generals and leaders in history and thankfully McArthur was sacked by Eisenhower, they both wanted a new war.

Sorry, this story it is not current events, but I think such things do not have time estimation.

Today the 9 th of August 2015, we live our lives, but 241 000 people had died 70 years ago for no reason. They thought that the WW II was over ... but not for them.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
America believes that its internal and external policies is always right. And this is the biggest of its mistakes. Decided on the genocide in favor of its geopolitical interests - the top of inhumanity. This blood will never wash off from the US history, and the fact that even after 70 years, the US is not ready to admit that committed a terrible mistake says only one thing - the US continues to erroneous and selfish policy, both domestically and abroad.

I am so sorry, I thought we were confident enough to admit the things we had done.

Excuse me, but Japan declared war on this country, without provocation, then set out to kill as many of us as possible, and did. Geopolitical that. And were so intent on continuing to kill us that even a bomb wasn't about to stop them. Candy and flowers weren't going to work. We won that war. No apologies, no we were wrong to bomb, garbage. We stopped them. To the extent we had to go to stop them is solely their responsibility.
Then we were magnanimous enough to help them rebuild their country. Are you hearing Japan apologizing for Pearl Harbor? America has nothing to apologize for, unless you think we should have let them win the war.
Go bake some muffins.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The biggest mistake the U.S. made was not letting Patton invade Russia and not dropping a nuke on Moscow. That's why the world is so screwed up today.

The world was a safer place when two superpowers were in place, each side could control their client states. Since the fall of the soviet Union the world has become a more dangerous place.

Patton was delusional , he though he was reincarnated form earlier generals and leaders in history and thankfully McArthur was sacked by Eisenhower, they both wanted a new war.
Don't forget that we were allied with Russia who killed more innocent people than Hitler.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Don't forget that we were allied with Russia who killed more innocent people than Hitler.
We cared about Western Europe, we didn't give a shit about Eastern Europe
That is why we sided with Stalin

One might argue it was a bad decision but the simple fact is that America had only two atomic bombs so it wasn't a matter of "would not", rather of "could not" wipe all of Japan off the globe leaving only a new abyss.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Yeah, Hoss.......Invading Russia has repeatedly proven to be a savvy strategery......
While we speak, Russia has nukes aimed and programed to hit every major city in the U.S. and thousands of other targets.

And this would be different had Patton engaged in a vain crusade following in the footsteps of Charles XII, Napoleon, and Hitler how, exactly?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We cared about Western Europe, we didn't give a shit about Eastern Europe
That is why we sided with Stalin

We did so because it opened up a second front against the Nazis in which the losses they suffered were of a higher order of magnitude than those on the western front....

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I suspect the good General lost his life for that stance
An old family friend witnessed the collision that injured Patton and he said it was definitely intentional. I believe him. And his actual death was also suspicious. People still think Russia was behind both incidents

Read Killing Patton, I had thought before it was an assassination but after reading it there is no doubt in my mind

By noted revisionist historian Bill O'Reilly?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Yeah, Hoss.......Invading Russia has repeatedly proven to be a savvy strategery......
While we speak, Russia has nukes aimed and programed to hit every major city in the U.S. and thousands of other targets.

And this would be different had Patton engaged in a vain crusade following in the footsteps of Charles XII, Napoleon, and Hitler how, exactly?
Head into Russia in early spring. Besides, all of Russia's arms, equipment and supplies were provided by the US. That kept them in the war.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I suspect the good General lost his life for that stance
An old family friend witnessed the collision that injured Patton and he said it was definitely intentional. I believe him. And his actual death was also suspicious. People still think Russia was behind both incidents

Read Killing Patton, I had thought before it was an assassination but after reading it there is no doubt in my mind

By noted revisionist historian Bill O'Reilly?

That's the one, well written and researched.

The atom bombs were just another weapon in the arsenal of the winning side. That is all. The number killed was far less then the atrocities committed by the Japanese in their imperial conquests.

The following are a few of the atrocities of the Japanese. Put yourself in the position of the marine that is to storm the beaches of Japan. Put yourself in the position of those who would need to make such decisions. Yes, a lot of people died by one bomb but the fire bombing of Tokyo and Dresden killed more.

Think about what you would think of a people who would commit the rape of Nanking yet are willing to fly a plane to their own death.

Laha Airfield Massacre This ghoulish event, which killed more than 300 Australian and Dutch POWs,

Alexandra Hospital Massacre Just a day before the British surrendered Singapore, Japanese soldiers stormed Alexandra Military Hospital and slaughtered its occupants, including the medical staff and patients. Even those undergoing surgery were not spared.

Palawan Massacre In another case of POW massacre, the Japanese stationed in Palawan Island, Philippines tried to kill all their American prisoners after wrongly assuming Allied forces had invaded. After driving the prisoners into makeshift air raid shelters, the Japanese burned them alive.

Japanese Occupation Of Nauru During their occupation of the island, the Japanese committed a string of atrocities, and a few stood out for their brutality.

Akikaze Executions In what could be argued as an uncharacteristic yet brutal incident, Japanese forces executed a boat of German civilians suspected of spying for the Allies.

Indian Ocean Raid Massacre In the final raid conducted by Japanese warships in the Indian Ocean, the heavy cruiser Tone sank the British merchant vessel Behar and captured 108 survivors. Captain Haruo Mayuzumi relayed his ship’s success to his superior Rear Admiral Naomasa Sakonju, expecting praise. Instead, the admiral berated the captain for bringing along useless prisoners. He ordered their execution.

Sook Ching Massacre Following the Fall of Singapore, the Japanese wanted to mop up all remaining resistance, especially among the Chinese living in the region. To accomplish this, the notorious Japanese secret police Kempetai initiated Operation Sook Ching (“purge through cleansing”) in February 1942.

I-8 One of Japan’s most notorious submarines, the I-8, is best remembered for sinking two Allied ships and for the crew’s terrible conduct in the aftermath. On March 26, 1944, the sub spotted and sank the Dutch freighter Tsijalak hundreds of miles off the coast of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Japanese took 103 survivors onboard and massacred them with swords and sledgehammers. They then bound those still alive and left them on deck as the submarine dove below. Only five survived the ordeal.

The Death RailwayAs their cargo ships were vulnerable to Allied raids, the Japanese sought an alternative supply line to maintain their forces in Burma. This culminated in the construction of a 415-kilometer (300 mi) railway between Burma and Thailand. The railway used 60,000 Allied POWs and 200,000 Asian conscripts for slave labor. During the year-long construction, thousands died from the grueling working conditions and inhumane treatment. A total of 13,000 POWS along with approximately 80,000–100,000 Asian laborers died constructing the railway.

The Massacre Of Manila Early in 1945, General Yamashita planned for his men to evacuate Manila and fight in the countryside. However, two Japanese admirals ignored his order and committed their men to a final stand inside the city. When the Americans arrived, the Japanese forces realized that they faced certain death and vented their rage on the hapless civilians trapped inside their lines. For weeks, the Japanese raped, pillaged, and murdered. Aside from the bayonets and beheadings, they machine-gunned captives and set fire to buildings with people trapped inside. The Americans ceased artillery strikes so the Japanese could surrender, but the Japanese instead continued their rampage.

10 Japanese Atrocities From World War II - Listverse

Rape of Nanking In December of 1937, the Japanese Imperial Army marched into China's capital city of Nanking and proceeded to murder 300,000 out of 600,000 civilians and soldiers in the city. The six weeks of carnage would become known as the Rape of Nanking and represented the single worst atrocity during the World War II era in either the European or Pacific theaters of war.

The History Place - Genocide in the 20th Century Rape of Nanking 1937-38

So, we dropped the atomic bombs out of revenge for other countries?

The atom bombs were just another weapon in the arsenal of the winning side. That is all. The number killed was far less then the atrocities committed by the Japanese in their imperial conquests.

The following are a few of the atrocities of the Japanese. Put yourself in the position of the marine that is to storm the beaches of Japan. Put yourself in the position of those who would need to make such decisions. Yes, a lot of people died by one bomb but the fire bombing of Tokyo and Dresden killed more.

Think about what you would think of a people who would commit the rape of Nanking yet are willing to fly a plane to their own death.

Laha Airfield Massacre This ghoulish event, which killed more than 300 Australian and Dutch POWs,

Alexandra Hospital Massacre Just a day before the British surrendered Singapore, Japanese soldiers stormed Alexandra Military Hospital and slaughtered its occupants, including the medical staff and patients. Even those undergoing surgery were not spared.

Palawan Massacre In another case of POW massacre, the Japanese stationed in Palawan Island, Philippines tried to kill all their American prisoners after wrongly assuming Allied forces had invaded. After driving the prisoners into makeshift air raid shelters, the Japanese burned them alive.

Japanese Occupation Of Nauru During their occupation of the island, the Japanese committed a string of atrocities, and a few stood out for their brutality.

Akikaze Executions In what could be argued as an uncharacteristic yet brutal incident, Japanese forces executed a boat of German civilians suspected of spying for the Allies.

Indian Ocean Raid Massacre In the final raid conducted by Japanese warships in the Indian Ocean, the heavy cruiser Tone sank the British merchant vessel Behar and captured 108 survivors. Captain Haruo Mayuzumi relayed his ship’s success to his superior Rear Admiral Naomasa Sakonju, expecting praise. Instead, the admiral berated the captain for bringing along useless prisoners. He ordered their execution.

Sook Ching Massacre Following the Fall of Singapore, the Japanese wanted to mop up all remaining resistance, especially among the Chinese living in the region. To accomplish this, the notorious Japanese secret police Kempetai initiated Operation Sook Ching (“purge through cleansing”) in February 1942.

I-8 One of Japan’s most notorious submarines, the I-8, is best remembered for sinking two Allied ships and for the crew’s terrible conduct in the aftermath. On March 26, 1944, the sub spotted and sank the Dutch freighter Tsijalak hundreds of miles off the coast of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Japanese took 103 survivors onboard and massacred them with swords and sledgehammers. They then bound those still alive and left them on deck as the submarine dove below. Only five survived the ordeal.

The Death RailwayAs their cargo ships were vulnerable to Allied raids, the Japanese sought an alternative supply line to maintain their forces in Burma. This culminated in the construction of a 415-kilometer (300 mi) railway between Burma and Thailand. The railway used 60,000 Allied POWs and 200,000 Asian conscripts for slave labor. During the year-long construction, thousands died from the grueling working conditions and inhumane treatment. A total of 13,000 POWS along with approximately 80,000–100,000 Asian laborers died constructing the railway.

The Massacre Of Manila Early in 1945, General Yamashita planned for his men to evacuate Manila and fight in the countryside. However, two Japanese admirals ignored his order and committed their men to a final stand inside the city. When the Americans arrived, the Japanese forces realized that they faced certain death and vented their rage on the hapless civilians trapped inside their lines. For weeks, the Japanese raped, pillaged, and murdered. Aside from the bayonets and beheadings, they machine-gunned captives and set fire to buildings with people trapped inside. The Americans ceased artillery strikes so the Japanese could surrender, but the Japanese instead continued their rampage.

Rape of Nanking In December of 1937, the Japanese Imperial Army marched into China's capital city of Nanking and proceeded to murder 300,000 out of 600,000 civilians and soldiers in the city. The six weeks of carnage would become known as the Rape of Nanking and represented the single worst atrocity during the World War II era in either the European or Pacific theaters of war.

Point missed. The atrocities that the Japanese committed created the opinion that they were less then civilized. We dropped the bomb to kill japs and end the war.

Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets.

5 of every 6 killed by the bombs was civilian.
Shocking that even 1 in 6 was a military person. You must be counting recuperating soldiers and young boys dressed up like soldiers going to school and waiting to come of age.
Sad that people perpetuate the falsehood that those two cities were military targets.

Point missed. The atrocities that the Japanese committed created the opinion that they were less then civilized.

No, active propaganda created that. Propaganda so effective many condoned fdr's concentration camps.

Point missed. The atrocities that the Japanese committed created the opinion that they were less then civilized.

No, active propaganda created that. Propaganda so effective many condoned fdr's concentration camps.

The Bataan Death March was not propaganda

Forum List

Back