The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

And once again, as I often say is that one should not lump in the fanatical fundamentalists with the rest.

I myself am religious, but am not a fundamentalist and have no problem with my faith contradicting science. As over 65% of Americans consider themselves "Religious", that is not a problem for the vast majority. The radical fundamentalists are a small minority, that even we have no problem openly mocking. You will not find many "Christians" for example stating their support of the Westboro Baptist Church.

There is no difference between fundamentalists and you're ordinary garden variety God botherer.
The fact is it's all bullshit. You have no evidence if anything but a 2000 book of lies that changes every few years to suit the conditions. It won't be long before religion claims Jesus invented the internet. Thats how ridiculous it is.

Faith does not equate to fact. You have been conned son. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. It's that simple.

And there we are.

You are unable to even attempt to articulate a coherent theory. And you think we should take you seriously. Why should any of us if you refuse even to even get to the most basic of starting points?
A coherent theory? I had no idea what you were talking about in the first place, not before and not now.

OK, you are a bigot, got it.

No. You're problem is you have been conned by religion and too stupid to see it. You have no evidence of anything not ever will. You worship a ghost and expect some eternal life shit as a reward.
I might be a bigot for explaining the truth to you but you are delusional.

Dude, I was kidding about going to hell. Lol

You are a fascist.

You exist in an "us vs. them" dichotomy. Anyone who isn't a good Woke democrat is the caricature of a Bible thumping redneck from the 1940's for you.

If I fail to recite the mantras of belief in your replacement angels, why then I must be a Bible thumper - because there are only the two possibilities.

You think you're all sciency and shit because you've rejected Jesus. Because Jar Jar Binks died to wash away your sins.....

You, and those like you crack me up, you've just traded one religion for another.

If you left today, it would take you 165,000 years to get to the nearest star using our fastest rocket.

Oh, and the radiation in space is going to cook you like an ant in a microwave.

But go ahead and demand that there are little green men who are going to show us all how Communism is the way...

Science is gambling, it's relying on odds there's life out there. Until we know where life came from, alien lifeform is beyond the realms of science.
There is so much evidence though.

Cumulative evidence suggests that during the ancient Noachian time period, the surface environment of Mars had liquid water and may have been habitable for microorganisms

There are six main elements that are the fundamental building blocks of life. They are, in order of least to most common: sulfur, phosphorous, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon, and hydrogen.

Do you know where these 6 basic elements are in the universe? Everywhere!!!!

If we look at all of the organisms on Earth, from the microbes living in hot springs to Orchids to Blue Whales, we see that the fundamental building blocks of life are all the same: all living things contain primarily carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, and sulfur.

Scientists have recently discovered that these molecules are present throughout the galaxy, said Bakes. Observations have turned up nitrogenated aromatics in the interstellar medium, in comets, in protoplanetary disks around stars, in planetary atmospheres, and in objects in the outer solar system.

We just recently discovered this!!! So the more we learn, the more it looks like there's probably life elsewhere. We just haven't found it yet because we aren't that advanced. It'd be like a monkey concluding we are all alone when the monkey doesn't have enough information to make such a conclusion. So you're acting like a monkey.

Why else would you conclude we are all alone when so many scientists think we aren't?

You are a fascist.

You exist in an "us vs. them" dichotomy. Anyone who isn't a good Woke democrat is the caricature of a Bible thumping redneck from the 1940's for you.

If I fail to recite the mantras of belief in your replacement angels, why then I must be a Bible thumper - because there are only the two possibilities.

You think you're all sciency and shit because you've rejected Jesus. Because Jar Jar Binks died to wash away your sins.....

You, and those like you crack me up, you've just traded one religion for another.

If you left today, it would take you 165,000 years to get to the nearest star using our fastest rocket.

But go ahead and demand that there are little green men who are going to show us all how Communism is the way...
All this when I agreed with you? All I did was make a joke about going to hell.

I think what bugs you, and it is clear from your political reply, is you hate it that on this subject, you happen to agree with us liberals/atheists.

You are clearly at war with science. I wonder who got you to be this way? Could it be the Republican party? Deny science because of global warming. Then deny science over covid.

It must be harder for you to reject science being that you aren't a bible thumping idiot. You're just an idiot.

You are a fascist.

I'm just floored by this reply. What a political joke you are. Here we are talking about life on other planets and you call me a fascist? LOL. So fucking funny. Are you sure you know what the word means? I don't think you do honey.

And by the way, it would only take 73,000 years to arrive to closest star. You more than doubled the time. So stop being so negative. They say we might come up with a technology that will cut that time down to 80 years. If we do that we can freeze people and wake them up in 79 years.

And that leads me to my last point. Look at our solar system. If you had a telescope and you were on Proxima Centauri looking at us. You might not even see earth in your pathetic telescope. So you would determine there is no life in our solar system.

1640620462244.png

You wouldn't even see earth.

P.S. We don't even know if there is life in Europa. Seems like there might be life in that moon. But we don't know. If there is, will you shut the fuck up? Probably not.

Beginning next year, the James Webb Space Telescope will scan a sampling of the nearly 5,000 alien worlds already discovered around other stars to help astronomers identify which of the rocky planets might have atmospheres that could sustain life.

The new telescope is 100 times more powerful than Hubble.

“It’s got so many modes, and so many filters, and so many gratings, and spectroscopy mixed with imaging, that it’s a perfect machine for the next step in studying planets around other stars and measuring their atmospheres.”

“We know, basically, that if you look up at the night sky, every star has a solar system around it,” Grunsfeld said.

“You will be able to detect stuff like water, carbon dioxide, ozone in these planets,” Espinoza said.

Water, in particular, could be detectable in the atmospheres of exoplanets with a huge infrared telescope like Webb. If they don’t have atmospheres, Webb might be able to tell scientists about the composition of the planets’ rocky surfaces.

Webb also has the sensitivity to directly image planets the size of Neptune around other stars, according to Espinoza. Current observatories can only image planets the size of Jupiter.

The transit observation method only catches a small fraction of exoplanets that happen to orbit their star in a path that lines up with our solar system. But the method allows scientists to use starlight to tease out details about planetary atmospheres.

“Until recently, the only planetary system known was our own solar system,” said Antonella Nota, ESA’s Webb project scientist.

“Are we alone? Is Earth unique? Do we have other planets out there that can host life? (These are) very ambitions questions that speak to all of us. So Webb study in detail the atmospheres of these exoplanets.”

Closer to home, Webb will point toward Jupiter’s moon Europa, which has a global ocean of liquid water buried beneath an icy crust. Webb could confirm a tentative detection made by Hubble of water plumes erupting through Europa’s ice shell.

The remote observations with Webb will help scientists prepare for the arrival of NASA’s Europa Clipper mission at Jupiter. That robot probe is set for launch in 2024 and will repeatedly fly by Europa with a sophisticated instrument suite to study the moon’s geology and environment.

Webb will also gather data on the climate of Mars, the structure and moons of Uranus and Neptune, and the population of frozen miniature worlds in the Kuiper Belt at the outer frontier of our solar system.

“It’s been a long road to get where we are,” said Heidi Hammel, a Webb interdisciplinary scientist at the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy. “Even so, we planned such a revolutionary telescope that it has stood the test of this time.”

So we still know very little.

While we do not have the answer, Brian Greene has a lot of good content on the subject.

One of his takes is that we may be asking the wrong question, nothing may actually be impossible. The question would then be reversed, why is nothing not possible rather than why is there something. Something is the default.
A different approach to the argument, but a MUCH harder idea to demonstrate.

His idea amounts to a "universal statement", which is very hard to "prove". Impossible, even, maybe.

Demonstrating the truth of the essentially "existential statement" that "the universe COULD come from nothing" is a smaller ask, I would think.

Showing it DID, or -- Greene's idea -- that it has "always been" is an even tougher ask. Showing the alternative (perennial existence of nothingness) is impossible would be a big step.

Last edited:
You are a fascist.

You seem to freely insult your own faith, which is no different than the strawman you have propped up for others.

No. You're problem is you have been conned by religion and too stupid to see it. You have no evidence of anything not ever will. You worship a ghost and expect some eternal life shit as a reward.
I might be a bigot for explaining the truth to you but you are delusional.

How come those that claim to be the most "enlightened" are the most arrogant turds I meet?

Let me guess, you are a "Progressive", right? You do not know me, or my beliefs. Yet you insist on things without any evidence, and belittle anything that is not in compliance with your beliefs.

You seem to freely insult your own faith, which is no different than the strawman you have propped up for others.
I think he’s mad because I showed most people who tend to believe we are alone are religious people and people open to the idea of life elsewhere tend to be non religious.

Religious people should realize they still believe we are the center of the universe even though that’s been proven to not be true.

And we don’t know shit yet. Seriously, it would almost be like a monkey saying with all the evidence it has, we are alone. Us humans barely have more knowledge and information than the monkey.

And ask any of the people who look through those telescopes if they think we are alone, they say no.

The people here who don’t believe are monkeys. The monkey never looked through these telescopes either.

What is confusing about 'coherent theory?'

Do you have something more than a basic proclamation that 'God did it?'
"God did it" isn't a theory or explanation anyway.

We are trying to figure out HOW it worked (or, if one prefers, "How God did it"). Saying God did it explains nothing.
Like pointing at relativistic jets emanating from a black hole and saying "Gravity did it!". Only a fool would think they have explained anything, or that their work is done.

Religious people should realize they still believe we are the center of the universe even though that’s been proven to not be true.
Well let me throw them a bone, like distracting an attack dog:

Every person is, indeed, the center of their own universe.

Think that will help?

And ask any of the people who look through those telescopes if they think we are alone, they say no.
Then, ask them why. Three points will be stated:

1) we know abiogenesis happened at least once (on Earth)

2) The universe has existed for 13.7 billion years

3) there are trillions of trillions of planets in the universe

Forum List

Back