The Best Movie Musicals of the 1960's, the beginning of the end of great movie musicals

I loved the 2000 Musical "O Brother Where Art Thou" and I may have watched its dvd more than "My Fair Lady" after my beloved husband of 44 years passed in June of 2016. I found the soundtrack at YouTube (for some reason, he loved the comedy and enjoyed the disc as much as I did.):

"Barroom Buddies" written by Clint Eastwood hit #1 in American Country Songs when he teamed up with Merle Haggard in a duet in 1980. He's considered one of the most versatile actors who ever lived, and forever I remembered having my first crush on Rowdy when I was very, very young. <giggle> I heard a rumor he sang the theme song to "Rawhide" but if he did, it wasn't the original artist when Rawhide first aired. Rumors are just that. lol

Taken from Eastwood's movie, "Bronco Billy,"

I heard a rumor he sang the theme song to "Rawhide"
Frankie Laine

Better known for

When I started writing these reviews about musicals of the decade, I should have made it clear what I considered a musical. By musical, I mean productions where the music and dancing is performed live by artist before the audience or the camera, not recorded and played in background or produced with CGI. Animated productions are a very different art form should not be compared with production by real people performing. Concerts also fall in a different categories.

For example, in Dirty Dancing, all the musical numbers were canned background music. Pretty Woman was a good movie by not a musical. Walt Disney's Beauty and Beast was a wonderful production but a totally different art form than musical theater.

Last edited:
Frankie Laine

Better known for

Clint Eastwood is a fine actor and director. He is not a fine singer. There have been many actors that sang in recordings and movies but that does mean they had a good singing voice. In Paint Your Wagon, a musical I really liked, Clint's songs were sweet but amateurish. This is one of the reasons critics pan the movie. Paint Your Wagon did not do well on Broadway either, probably the only Leaner and Loewe production that failed to become a hit.

I loved the 2000 Musical "O Brother Where Art Thou" and I may have watched its dvd more than "My Fair Lady" after my beloved husband of 44 years passed in June of 2016. I found the soundtrack at YouTube (for some reason, he loved the comedy and enjoyed the disc as much as I did.):

It is funny and the music is phenomenal. Did you know the story is loosely based on Homer's Odyssey? I really like this first scene in the boxcar.

Best 60's musical? Going to say 'West Side Story.'
I though West Story was great but there were so many great movie musicals in the 60's, My Fair Lady, Mary Popins, The Sound of Music, Oliver, The Music Man, Gypsy, Camelot, and of course West Side Story, just to name a few. I don't think we will every see a decade with as many great movie musicals.

I agree My Fair Lady is wonderful, probably the best musical every. It really makes me sad that the great musicals like this are totally dead to the young people today. So many musicals today are just reprises of old musicals or animations. I wonder why that is? Have people just lost their taste for musical theater, have we lost all the great creators, or is the cost of presentation so high that it is no longer practical? Is musical theater such My Fair Lady, The Music Man, West Side Story, Oklahoma, South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, CATS, and Phantom of the Opera distant to become just history

My favorite scene in 'Fiddler ON The Roof'.

Last edited:

I think it's the Coen Brothers best film. My Fair Lady is still my favorite musical. I saw it on Broadway with Mary Martin when I was a kid and of course the film version with Audrey Hepburn.

The person you are with when you see a good movie or play can certainly make it a favorite. I remember one of the first dates with my wife was to see the play Camelot. It was the first time she put her head on my shoulder and we kissed. For me, Camelot was a great play for many years A few years ago we watched the movie version on DVD. I turned my wife and said, you know Camelot was not that great. And she said, "Maybe it was who you were with that made it great."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back