If You Love Movie Musicals...

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
If you love movie musicals and have access to TCM, there's a great line up this evening beginning at 5PM PST. Since there's an east coast and west coast TCM, you'll have to check the schedule in your area. If you get TCM by streaming, I'm sure these musicals must be in their library.

Starting at 5:30pm My Fair Lady - IMHO, the best movie musical ever made followed by:
The Music Man
Gypsy
Camelot

My favorites

West Side Story
Singing in the Rain
42nd Street

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
My Sister Eileen
Bye Bye Birdie
You Were Never Lovelier
Oliver
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I like them OK so long as they don't have too much music in them. :smoke:
I find that an interesting comment because that is exactly what I said when my mother took me to a musical when I was about 12 years old. I never really liked musicals until I saw Camelot on Broadway in the early 60's. It wasn't a great musical but I remember the way Richard Burton and the cast sang the song Camelot, It was so said but still uplifting. I was hooked.

My favorites

West Side Story
Singing in the Rain
42nd Street
AFI picked Singing in Rain as the best musical ever made. I loved it but why they picked it over West Side Story or My Fair Lady seems strange. The production was even stranger. Arthur Freed came up with the idea of the movie based on a group songs that were in the MGM catalog. All of them including Singing in Rain had been used in one or more MGM movies. The leading lady for this new musical, Debbie Reynolds didn't sing or dance. No one seem to believe the movie would every be released, yet it turns out to be the greatest musical every made according AFI.

All of the above were great musicals however, my intent was to alert members of a group of upcoming musical showings and discuss them, not to create a thread asking for your favorite musical.

Last edited:
I love a good musical romance...

613FJJnJjfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Forum List

Back