The anti police paradox

As we all are aware, two dangerous prisoners in New York were captured by vigilant police officers conducting a massive dragnet. One was killed, the other disabled. In this one instance, more of us than not were rooting for the police to nab those filthy bastards.

But, if the police effect an arrest of a person of various minority... the attitude changes entirely. Take Ferguson for example. Why is that? I label it "the anti police paradox." Some far left liberals root for them one time, and berate them the next. If you want to see what happens when cops are afraid to do their jobs, look no further than New York City and Baltimore.

In New York City, there has been no love lost between Mayor Bill DeBlasio and his police force. He repeatedly made anti-police remarks, and essentially threw them under the bus. Arrests plummeted 66% in 2014 after two NYPD officers, Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were murdered in their patrol car, which only widened the rift between officers and the mayor.

img_2259.jpg

In January of this year, that lack of enforcement was felt by residents in the Marcy Houses, 27 brick H-block buildings, each six stories high, that are home to nearly 4,300 people, all Black or Latino, and not a block away from where the two officers were killed. These residents were left wondering where the once regular police presence had gone. Now we know why.

In poor New York neighborhoods residents ask Where are the police Reuters

In Baltimore, news broke tonight that revealed Police Commanders did in fact order their police officers not to engage rioters during the riots that ravaged the city on April 28th. Homicide rates skyrocketed afterwards, leaving some residents in West Baltimore in late May to ask, "where did the police go?" Afterwards, Baltimore in one month experienced the highest murder rates it had seen in 16 years. Cops were even on record admitting that they were afraid to do their jobs. Now we know why.

Rash of homicides in West Baltimore have residents asking Where are police - CBS News

This paradox should reveal the hypocrisy by some to try and paint police officers as brutal and racist, while cheering them on when they are in hot pursuit of two escaped convicts. Yet as we saw in New York, they can be our saviors.

I didn't bother reading your diatribe because form the get go I can tell that you are very confused about the frustration many of us have with the police. Most cops are good cops just trying to do their job. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad cops out there. It's a small percentage, but they are dangerous and they think they are above the law. The real frustration is that most good cops back these bad cops up, and therein lies the true problem. Understanding when a cop has crossed the line is important, and we as everyday citizens should expect more from those who serve us.
I'm going to agree with your thought but not your premise. When the good cop is being shot at he wants ANY cop there to help.
You figure out how to get the good cop better back up and you have solved that problem.

Why did the OP leave out the information explaining the data in his little chart? Was he trying to overstate the matter? The way it is presented, the drop in arrests seems really, really significant and gives the impression that crime exploded in NYC in 2014.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Dishonest motherfucking child.

As we all are aware, two dangerous prisoners in New York were captured by vigilant police officers conducting a massive dragnet. One was killed, the other disabled. In this one instance, more of us than not were rooting for the police to nab those filthy bastards.

But, if the police effect an arrest of a person of various minority... the attitude changes entirely. Take Ferguson for example. Why is that? I label it "the anti police paradox." Some far left liberals root for them one time, and berate them the next. If you want to see what happens when cops are afraid to do their jobs, look no further than New York City and Baltimore.

In New York City, there has been no love lost between Mayor Bill DeBlasio and his police force. He repeatedly made anti-police remarks, and essentially threw them under the bus. Arrests plummeted 66% in 2014 after two NYPD officers, Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were murdered in their patrol car, which only widened the rift between officers and the mayor.

img_2259.jpg

In January of this year, that lack of enforcement was felt by residents in the Marcy Houses, 27 brick H-block buildings, each six stories high, that are home to nearly 4,300 people, all Black or Latino, and not a block away from where the two officers were killed. These residents were left wondering where the once regular police presence had gone. Now we know why.

In Baltimore, news broke tonight that revealed Police Commanders did in fact order their police officers not to engage rioters during the riots that ravaged the city on April 28th. Homicide rates skyrocketed afterwards, leaving some residents in West Baltimore in late May to ask, "where did the police go?" Afterwards, Baltimore in one month experienced the highest murder rates it had seen in 16 years. Cops were even on record admitting that they were afraid to do their jobs. Now we know why.

Rash of homicides in West Baltimore have residents asking Where are police - CBS News

This paradox should reveal the hypocrisy by some to try and paint police officers as brutal and racist, while cheering them on when they are in hot pursuit of two escaped convicts. Yet as we saw in New York, they can be our saviors.

You're obsessed with ad hominem hypocrisy attacks.

img_2259.jpg

What's wrong with praising cops who do a good job and criticizing those who do a poor job?

I always root for the fugitive. I can't help it.

Even if you don't, you have to be impressed by the escape. Legendary.

Really? And you want to know where this anti police sentiment comes from?

It was an epic escape. Admit it.
The fugitives from an upstate prison pulled off their great escape like true pros — according to a local engineer who has worked on the facility.

“They are very good at what they do, with a lot of training,” Larry Jeffords, owner of Jeffords Steel and Engineering in Plattsburgh, told the Associated Press after seeing pictures of their prison break.
“The grinding dust is tremendous — sparks, smoke,” Jeffords said. “To do that with a grinder and to do as nice a hole as they did, I just can’t see it done. I'm in the steel business and I've said before I could have sent my best man up there with an acetylene torch or a plasma cutter and I couldn't have a better hole.”

From a strategic standpoint, the interesting question is this-- what could they have done in order to get away? Travel more at at night? Boost a car? Hop a train?

Or, maybe just hunker down and wait it out. There were so many officers hunting for them though...
They could have had a more dedicated accomplice....

Oh. My bad.

I thought the three butts at the first would be a giveaway.
The second escapee was a convicted cop killer. Corrections officers and State police were told to shoot to kill.

So a fleeing felon can be shot in NY, but not in NC, that don't seem right.
In all fairness, The escapee was a convicted cop killer doing life. Corrections officers were out in the woods for 21 days. Everyone wanted it over and Andy Cuomo was starting to look bad.

I think you missed my point and Cuomo needs no help looking bad.
And my point was to point out that little Andy Cuomo issues shoot to kill orders. That has to bother the bleeding hearts.

img_2259.jpg

A lot of the people in that area want "other" criminals caught NOT their family members. When the "victim" is ALSO a criminal you have to make a choice. Justice for all or just a few. That area chose a few and now residents are about to find out who those few are.
The dedication of some of those Corrections Officers is amazing. I happen to know of one who stayed on perimeter for the full 3 weeks after having broken his foot on the 4th day.
He taped his boot tight to support the foot and continued on. He had been home a total of 12 hours in 21 days.

Butt, butt, butt, the police officer in NY shot the escapee in the back while he was running away, the officer was in no danger, when can we expect aggravated attempted murder charges?
No way. The escapee was white. If he had been black there would have been riots.

Butt, butt, butt, the police officer in NY shot the escapee in the back while he was running away, the officer was in no danger, when can we expect aggravated attempted murder charges?
The prison escapee was already convicted and, therefore, an outlaw. He didn't have the same rights as someone being arrested on a new charge.

Yeah, that irony is noted. A white cop shot a fleeing unarmed white suspect. No protests, no riots, and not a peep from the anti-police crowd.
Yep, the cop in SC was charged for doing the same thing, shooting a fleeing felon in the back.
Without a conviction, you can't call him a felon. You're jumping the gun. There was a big difference between the SC and NY incidents.

It was an epic escape. Admit it.

No. I'm not in the business of glorifying stupidity.

You can call them murderous and morally bankrupt. It's stupid of you to call them stupid. 'Cunning' is an appropriate word to describe the first escape ever from a NY maximum security prison (since 1865).
From some of the stories coming out it was more like a country club than a maximum security prison.

img_2259.jpg

I didn't bother reading your diatribe because form the get go I can tell that you are very confused about the frustration many of us have with the police. Most cops are good cops just trying to do their job. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad cops out there. It's a small percentage, but they are dangerous and they think they are above the law. The real frustration is that most good cops back these bad cops up, and therein lies the true problem. Understanding when a cop has crossed the line is important, and we as everyday citizens should expect more from those who serve us.
I'm going to agree with your thought but not your premise. When the good cop is being shot at he wants ANY cop there to help.
You figure out how to get the good cop better back up and you have solved that problem.

What I'm saying is that when a bad cop crosses the line and beats the hell out of someone for no reason or shoots and kills them when they are unarmed and not threat, the good cops still back them up. The only time a good cop will ever cross that line and throw the bad cop to the wolves is when there is such dramatic proof of wrongdoing that there is no other option, as in the case in SC when the cop shot the guy in the back eight times and then planted a weapon near his body. Had it not been for the video, that cop would never have gotten away with it, plain and simple, and no other cops would have questioned him. If cops want everyday people to trust them again, they need to step up and clean up their departments.

I thought the three butts at the first would be a giveaway.
The second escapee was a convicted cop killer. Corrections officers and State police were told to shoot to kill.

In all fairness, The escapee was a convicted cop killer doing life. Corrections officers were out in the woods for 21 days. Everyone wanted it over and Andy Cuomo was starting to look bad.

And my point was to point out that little Andy Cuomo issues shoot to kill orders. That has to bother the bleeding hearts.

Governor Cuomo IS a liberal.

Governor Cuomo IS a liberal.
No shit, Sherlock! Had this escape happened in Wisconsin, would Scott Walker get a walk for issuing shoot to kill orders?

Yeah, that irony is noted. A white cop shot a fleeing unarmed white suspect. No protests, no riots, and not a peep from the anti-police crowd.

Yep, the cop in SC was charged for doing the same thing, shooting a fleeing felon in the back.

your comment is reprehensible, disgusting and lacks ethics and morality...

The 2 situations that you smugly declared, aren't even close....

The prison escapee was already convicted and, therefore, an outlaw. He didn't have the same rights as someone being arrested on a new charge.

Let's see, resisting arrest = felony, fleeing arrest = felony, sounds about the same to me. The guy in SC had a warrant on him, meaning he was an outlaw also.

Without a conviction, you can't call him a felon. You're jumping the gun. There was a big difference between the SC and NY incidents.

Of course you can, he was shot during the commission of 2 felonies, just like the guy in NY.

Forum List

Back