The Answer to the "What caused the Civil War?" question is not a debate.

Those poor slave owners, they had it tough.
Yeah, they were also stupid. The smart thing to do in 1860 would be to do what the Brit slave owners had done; get the government to essentially buy the slaves from the slave owners, then hire them back as free labor. The plantation owners could then have their cake and eat it as well.

Well that is certainly a unique and timely opinion.
There really is nothing unique about it. I mean, maybe for the soy boys and white leftist chicks it is unique. But history did not start with their useless births.

There really is nothing unique about it. I mean, maybe for the soy boys and white leftist chicks it is unique. But history did not start with their useless births.
I like your determination that slavery "wasn't so bad." What personal experience is this based on?

I like your determination that slavery "wasn't so bad." What personal experience is this based on?
Well, ya see, I owned me one of them thar big old cotton plantation back in, ohhhh…, 1860 it was, I reckon. I called it Mi Casa Cottone’”. I dun did get filthy rich, ya see. I would take all my clothes off and have the lil slave chilluns pour the cash over me like it were water!! Oh, how I loved to frolic in my cash money!

But I wuz good to my slaves, I was! Every Wednesday night I would invite them into my parlor for hor d’oeuvres and karaoke. And on Saturday night I would give every single male slave an oil rub down and deep tissue massage! I loved my slaves, and they loved me!!

In fact, when them thar slaves were made free men, mine wouldn’t leave! They pleaded and pleaded to stay on at my plantation. I said, “Now, now, everone, ya’ll gots to git up and git. That damned old Abe Lincoln said so.” Finally, that dirty snatch cracker, Lincoln, sent the thugs to my plantation and kidnapped my slaves. Then they dumped them off on the roadside somewhere betwixt here and Atlanta.

A hundred good slaves perished cuz of that damned old yankee sumbitch, Lincoln. I been taking care of them slaves since they been birthed. When they left the plantation they didn’t have nobody to take care of them any more. They was like lil chilluns. Most of them starved to death out in the woods. A good many of them lynched themselves out of pure grief of being made to leave my plantation, where all their needs we met. Abe Lincoln had blood on his hands, he did!!

So ya’ll take that thar soy boy horse shit and shove it up yer slave holes! I knowd what it were like, I do, cuz I was thar, dagnabbit!

Lincolns primary goal was to save the union.
He was willing to defer action on slavery in order to do so.

The reality is that Lincoln had no agenda to end slavery in the first place. He couldn’t if he wanted to.

The South forced the issue and it ended in four years
Slavery wasn't made illegal in the US. The government is still allowed to use slave labor.

Thirteenth Amendment​

Section 1​

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2​

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Brother Beau of YouTube fame breaks down why very thoroughly in this succinct video essay. Watch...

That means if your mammy or pappy told you it was over "Northern aggression" or "States rights" they were lying to you.

It wasn't. It was all about slavery.

The Civil War was 160 plus years ago, its history. So what?

I don’t think the war had anything to do with Jim Crow
It was more of a desire to enforce Second Class Citizenship on blacks.
Was that unique to the South? How do you explain the busing riots in 1970s Boston - the heart of progressive Northeast Liberals and Democrats or the 1970s rant and rave from the Democrat Senator from Delaware that didn’t want his kids going to school in a “racial jungle”?

I’m no son of the South or Northerner. I am born, raised, and live in Washington, DC. It’s easy for me to call bullshit when I see it.

Was that unique to the South? How do you explain the busing riots in 1970s Boston - the heart of progressive Northeast Liberals and Democrats or the 1970s rant and rave from the Democrat Senator from Delaware that didn’t want his kids going to school in a “racial jungle”?

I’m no son of the South or Northerner. I am born, raised, and live in Washington, DC. It’s easy for me to call bullshit when I see it.

No question the North had de facto segregation in schools and housing.
But it was nowhere near the legally enforced segregation of Jim Crow in every aspect of life which affected voting, schools, libraries, hospitals, public transportation and ability to appear in public

Actually, DC area is a curious mix. The natives are legacy southerners and the resident transients are hardcore northern lefties. Most natives moved to the suburbs when the blacks moved in and then fled to Frederick and Calvert counties when the blacks moved to the suburbs, replaced in the city by hardcore elitist wealthy white democrat lefties.

Like most things prized by the Left, it was an effort that seemed to be about morality when in fact it was at least equally about economics. The industrialized North had no need of slaves and the South's only form of competition was by using them as the entire nation HAD DONE for over a century.

Rehashing that history as a means to further divide us is a tactic the Left is employing that will lead to evil as bad as the original sin itself and they do not give a damn so long as it keeps them in power.
The only economics involved was that southerners wouldn't allow a ban on slavery in new states, and they knew that meant there was no longer a market for the slave babies they wanted to sell.

And I'm an unwoke white southerner. But it was what it was.

The question I'd ask is .... why does Nikki have to relitigate this for the dems?

The only economics involved was that southerners wouldn't allow a ban on slavery in new states, and they knew that meant there was no longer a market for the slave babies they wanted to sell.

And I'm an unwoke white southerner. But it was what it was.

The question I'd ask is .... why does Nikki have to relitigate this for the dems?
The South overreacted to the election of Lincoln.
He could not have ended slavery if he wanted to.

Expansion into new states was not going to happen.

So slavery ended in four years instead of 20-30

The Civil War was 160 plus years ago, its history. So what?
You tell me, it's your candidate that was so frozen and gripped w/fear by the mere question that she absolutely flubbed it, and that's putting it nicely.

So you tell me why she failed so spectacularly to answer such a simple question?

You tell me, it's your candidate that was so frozen and gripped w/fear by the mere question that she absolutely flubbed it, and that's putting it nicely.

So you tell me why she failed so spectacularly to answer such a simple question?
I really could care less. 160 years ago is history. That's all it is.

Forum List

Back