The affirmative case for Christianity

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
You see, you asked me once why I posted "anti-christian arguments" on a religious forum, if not to start arguments/fights. The implication of your question is that the only people who legitimately post to this particular sub-forum should be other religious minded folks for the purpose of discussing points of their religions.

So, tell me, Ding. What is your audience with this post? Do you suppose that there are Christians posting to this sub-forum who are in need of convincing that Christianity needs defending?

Or is this an attempt to lure non-christians into a debate about the benefits of Christianity?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Since it's all lies, I wondered the same but the "christians" always post the same self-righteous bragging that they are better than others.

It's great fun when they get into pissing contests of posting more copy/pastes than the next christian.

No matter how it starts, it always ends up saying 'My god can beat up your god'.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness.

Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences.

Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings.

Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together.

Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America.

Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
Wow. What a steamy pile! First off, learn to use paragraphs, it makes for easier reading, unless you were simply engaged in spiritual masturbation.

Christianity is not the only religion to teach values and virtues, curiosity, love of nature or any other decent thing you can think of.

The Catholic church oppressed very many people, killed a lot of them, made people feel guilt, shame and humiliation for being humans. All the while making them feel obligated to funnel money into their coffers.

True, many artists worked for the church, but that's because A. they killed off any real opposition until the reformation, B. They were the only ones besides the uber rich few that could afford art.

The New Testament does not condemn slavery. I'd agree it doesn't encourage it but doesn't speak about the horrors of owning fellow humans. Why? Because it was a collection books of the day. Voted on by men gathered to create a state religion.
Critical Theory (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
You see, you asked me once why I posted "anti-christian arguments" on a religious forum, if not to start arguments/fights. The implication of your question is that the only people who legitimately post to this particular sub-forum should be other religious minded folks for the purpose of discussing points of their religions.

So, tell me, Ding. What is your audience with this post? Do you suppose that there are Christians posting to this sub-forum who are in need of convincing that Christianity needs defending?

Or is this an attempt to lure non-christians into a debate about the benefits of Christianity?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Since it's all lies, I wondered the same but the "christians" always post the same self-righteous bragging that they are better than others.

It's great fun when they get into pissing contests of posting more copy/pastes than the next christian.

No matter how it starts, it always ends up saying 'My god can beat up your god'.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
I haven't seen too many of those. Maybe you are just seeing yourself worse and projecting that onto others.

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness.

Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences.

Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings.

Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together.

Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America.

Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
Wow. What a steamy pile! First off, learn to use paragraphs, it makes for easier reading, unless you were simply engaged in spiritual masturbation.

Christianity is not the only religion to teach values and virtues, curiosity, love of nature or any other decent thing you can think of.

The Catholic church oppressed very many people, killed a lot of them, made people feel guilt, shame and humiliation for being humans. All the while making them feel obligated to funnel money into their coffers.

True, many artists worked for the church, but that's because A. they killed off any real opposition until the reformation, B. They were the only ones besides the uber rich few that could afford art.

The New Testament does not condemn slavery. I'd agree it doesn't encourage it but doesn't speak about the horrors of owning fellow humans. Why? Because it was a collection books of the day. Voted on by men gathered to create a state religion.
What has the Catholic Church has done for the world? The answer is all around us, from the laws that protect us, to the principles that guide us. It has shaped every area of our lives, yet because its influence is so huge, we take its heritage for granted and forget that it was the source of this civilization. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. The Catholic Church gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. State Church? History does not support your assertion and that's what you guys are doing.

What has the Catholic Church has done for the world? The answer is all around us, from the laws that protect us, to the principles that guide us. It has shaped every area of our lives, yet because its influence is so huge, we take its heritage for granted and forget that it was the source of this civilization. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. The Catholic Church gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. State Church? History does not support your assertion and that's what you guys are doing.
You are just repeating yourself. You were trained that way but you can't train me that way. Sure the church has done good things but western civilization was shaped by many things, not just the church and not all church doings were good. You are engaged in propaganda.

Many were oppressed or killed, you can't gloss over it. Our founders created a secular document to govern our country, I don't see how you can possibly credit the RC Church for it.

Yes, state church, history does support it. That's what the Holy Roman Empire was all about.

We are mainly social creatures, we all depend upon another. It must be the way one is raised in life, so being a giving sharing people depends on upbringing. We were taught to share and give, but then again we are RC, and I find most of the GOP are Baptist and Evangelicals who follow Paul more than Jesus.
They don't share and give?

Jesus said call no man on Earth father and the RC church has a whole bunch of them including their big kahoona.

Yes RC's are usually the biggest sharers and givers, unless they are a Republican, then its the complete opposite.
I've never seen a study on that, have you? I've known many Christians that give 10% or more regularly. Plus their time.

Christianity supported Slavery and the Genocide of Native Populations...its is an ally of Imperialism ...the Cross and the Sword

"like good Christians some would burn the witches"

The Christian Evangelist are currently firmly on the side of those who seek to harm the poor the elderly the sick...Fuck Christianity...

You are just repeating yourself. You were trained that way but you can't train me that way. Sure the church has done good things but western civilization was shaped by many things, not just the church and not all church doings were good. You are engaged in propaganda.

Many were oppressed or killed, you can't gloss over it. Our founders created a secular document to govern our country, I don't see how you can possibly credit the RC Church for it.

Yes, state church, history does support it. That's what the Holy Roman Empire was all about.
Can you name an institution which did more to shape Western Civilization?

Sure. The printing press. It's how the reformation got started and people could read the bible for themselves instead of hearing propaganda from the pulpit.

We are mainly social creatures, we all depend upon another. It must be the way one is raised in life, so being a giving sharing people depends on upbringing. We were taught to share and give, but then again we are RC, and I find most of the GOP are Baptist and Evangelicals who follow Paul more than Jesus.
They don't share and give?

Jesus said call no man on Earth father and the RC church has a whole bunch of them including their big kahoona.

Yes RC's are usually the biggest sharers and givers, unless they are a Republican, then its the complete opposite.
I've never seen a study on that, have you? I've known many Christians that give 10% or more regularly. Plus their time.

Republicans Christians rob the poor so the wealthy can have tax cuts.

Sure. The printing press. It's how the reformation got started and people could read the bible for themselves instead of hearing propaganda from the pulpit.

I believe in separation of church and state, if you are a trump supporter or a republican , you do not.

I believe in separation of church and state, if you are a trump supporter or a republican , you do not.
You babbled off on a tangent there Penny. How that even a response?

I'm a Trump supporter but not religious. Ooops.

.[/QUOTE]You babbled off on a tangent there Penny. How that even a response?

I'm a Trump supporter but not religious. Ooops.[/QUOTE]

Most are not in reality, that is the problem with Republicans.

The printing press is not an institution. Can you name an institution which played a greater role in shaping western civilization that the Catholic Church?

The printing press is not an institution. Can you name an institution which played a greater role in shaping western civilization that the Catholic Church?
The printing press changed everything in Christianity so you could say it shaped the church. The institution of royalty probably had the largest influence in western civilization though.

Forum List

Back