The Advance Of The Human Condition

Not surprising, there are a fair number of people over there who consider themselves arostocrats. Ever watch downton abbey. Those people can't tie their own shoes, so what would make you think they could boil water?

Well, speaking for myself, it took me some practice to learn how to boil an egg property and without creating that olive green around the outside of the yolk.

Why-Theres-A-Gross-Green-Ring-Around-The-Yolk-Of-Your-Hard-Boiled-Egg-and-How-to-Avoid-It.jpg

7d4a414ef0e97c53659e88fca66f003f.jpg

main-qimg-ab301c13b7b60e18e2ba05fd3ed952b8-c

I also had many an intended soft-boiled egg turn out neither property soft-boiled nor hard boiled. Suffice to say, merely boiling an egg is something anyone can do, but doing it properly takes some effort and attention to detail. Perhaps that's something the ~20% of Britons who attested to not feeling confident they could boil an egg had in mind. [1]

The solution: I resolved to use an egg timer, put the egg in the water only after it's boiling, and always start the boiling of the eggs from the same temperature, which for me means the egg goes straight from the refrigerator to the boiling water, no time spent sitting on the counter waiting for the water to boil. Through a process of trial and error, I eventually discovered how long it takes to properly boil the eggs that come out of my fridge.

Why did I bother? Because I make damn good deviled eggs, and I don't want that overcooked green crap in them, and I don't want to scrape it off the yolks either. I don't have time for that foolishness.

As for changing a lightbulb, well, some of them I can change and others I cannot. The one's in the house in lamps and light fixtures I can change. The ones in my cars and inside some appliances, well, I can't say I know even how to access them, so that necessarily means I cannot change them. If the light bulbs in my camping "headlights" go out, I suspect I cannot change them either.

Note:
  1. It's hard to say whether that's what folks had in mind. The published study doesn't consistently depict the answers given. One place in the study's reported results, the narrative says people attested to "not knowing" how to boil an egg. In another place, it says they asserted a not being "confident" they could do so. The survey questions are not presented in the published results, so that can't be used as a gauge to reliably glean or establish what responders may have had in mind. (Unless one is willing to find the questions; I am not.)

I noted that I make fine deviled eggs. The photo below isn't one I've made, though I think I'll try doing one with the cheese lattice, but I make similarly elaborate ones. I've used bacon lardons for height.

20140419-deviled-egg-variations-recipe-11.jpg

Forum List

Back