The $5 Trillion Man: Debt Has Increased Under Obama by $5,027,761,476,484.56

Every expenditure is new spending, therefore the answer to your question is all of it.

So you shouldn't have any trouble highlighting the major portions of where he spent this money.

Approximately 75% of the budget goes to Medicare, Social Security, and the military. The other 25% is obviously everything else. I'm sure you were already aware of this, though. You're just asking a baiting question in an attempt to paint a picture that you're going to fail at.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to have a discussion about specifically how Obama has spent money that we weren't spending before.

Medicare, SS and the military are all things we spent money on before, well before Obama ever took office obviously. Has Obama increased spending in those areas? If so, how much in each area and why?

The OP is trying to paint a picture of Obama as a wild spender...so where specifically did he spend this money?

So what new spending did Obama do since he took office that caused this?

Every expenditure is new spending, therefore the answer to your question is all of it.

So you shouldn't have any trouble highlighting the major portions of where he spent this money.

I can give you one major spend that accomplished next to nothing. $792 billion on a failed stimulus. As one example. But the question has already been answered. All of his policies and spends have brought us to that number.

So what new spending did Obama do since he took office that caused this?

Total spending, FY2009-2011, in Billion $
National Defense 2,060,260
Human resources 6,956,262
Education, Training, Employment, and Social Services 308,692
Health 1,075,889
Medicare 1,367,382
Income Security 1,752,786
Social Security 2,120,511
(On-budget) 159,321
(Off-budget) 1,961,190
Veterans Benefits and Services 331,002
Physical resources 694,394
Energy 28,536
Natural Resources and Environment 124,700
Commerce and Housing Credit 196,662
(On-budget) 190,850
(Off-budget) 5,812
Transportation 269,226
Community and Regional Development 75,270
Net interest 613,064
(On-budget) 965,501
Other functions 514,220
International Affairs 128,409
General Science, Space, and Technology 87,981
Agriculture 64,254
Administration of Justice 163,021
General Government 70,555
Total, Federal outlays 10,576,951
(On-budget) 9,006,647
(Off-budget) 1,570,304
Historical Tables | The White House

Last edited:

I can give you one major spend that accomplished next to nothing. $792 billion on a failed stimulus. As one example. But the question has already been answered. All of his policies and spends have brought us to that number.

Ok so that leaves $4.3 trillion. "All of his policies" doesn't say much. Where else did he spend money that we weren't spending before?

Total spending, FY2009-2011, in Billion $
National Defense 2,060,260
Human resources 6,956,262
Education, Training, Employment, and Social Services 308,692
Health 1,075,889
Medicare 1,367,382
Income Security 1,752,786
Social Security 2,120,511
(On-budget) 159,321
(Off-budget) 1,961,190
Veterans Benefits and Services 331,002
Physical resources 694,394
Energy 28,536
Natural Resources and Environment 124,700
Commerce and Housing Credit 196,662
(On-budget) 190,850
(Off-budget) 5,812
Transportation 269,226
Community and Regional Development 75,270
Net interest 613,064
(On-budget) 965,501
Other functions 514,220
International Affairs 128,409
General Science, Space, and Technology 87,981
Agriculture 64,254
Administration of Justice 163,021
General Government 70,555
Total, Federal outlays 10,576,951
(On-budget) 9,006,647
(Off-budget) 1,570,304
Historical Tables | The White House

Thanks!

The illegal war in Libya countws for another few billion.

I''m not going to sit here and break it all down for you. You go break it down. The fact is, the debt exceeds teh deficit every year because many items, in particualr defense spending slush funds, are off the books. So you wont see them unless you have clearance.

We interrupt the Lefty diversion from real issues to announce the latest high watermark in the historic Obama Presidency:

CNSNews.com)- In the 39 months since Barack Obama took the oath of office as president of the United States, the federal government’s debt has increased by $5,027,761,476,484.56.

Although he has served less than a term, Obama is now the first American president to see the federal government's debt increase by more than $5 trillion during his time in office.'

The $5 Trillion Man: Debt Has Increased Under Obama by $5,027,761,476,484.56 | CNSNews.com

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that Obama came into office at a time when the economy was rapidly collapsing and 700,000 jobs every month were being lost, and that generally when the United States enters into recession/depression the government tends to spend a lot more money dishing out social safety-net benefits such as unemployment.

What are other scenarios when - historically - the government tends to dish out a lot of money? Oh yea! And those two extremely costly wars that Bush never wrote into his budget, I'm pretty sure those were Obama's fault as well.

In fact, everything's Obama's fault, including all of the decisions of the Senate and the House of Representatives (he controls their minds), all of the nasty partisanship on both ends of the political spectrum & deadlock, everything - the fault of one man. How gleefully simple. Just remove Obama and everything will be working spick and span, just like in 2006.

Note: scapegoating individuals is fun and easy because it saves you from having to use your brain!

Good job Sniper! Added a lot to the conversation with this one. Thanks for your endless stream of thought provoking solutions, as usual.

Last edited:

I''m not going to sit here and break it all down for you. You go break it down. The fact is, the debt exceeds teh deficit every year because many items, in particualr defense spending slush funds, are off the books. So you wont see them unless you have clearance.

I just wonder how much of it is due to specific policies Obama enacted and how much of it is just government in general not knowing how to restrain itself for years now and has just spiraled out of control.

I just wonder how much of it is due to specific policies Obama enacted and how much of it is just government in general not knowing how to restrain itself for years now and has just spiraled out of control.

Whether it was spent on things before or after he became president is irrelevant. He is the current chief executive. He is the one who needs to show some leadership and work with Congress to close these deficits. He has not bothered to do so at all. Every department and government program across the board should be scrutinized and reduced without exception.

Who knew not having a budget would lead to runaway $5 TRILLION in spending? I mean how is a former community agitator with no business budget or operational experience to know that?

Keep up the twisting and lying.

Facts are a real mofo sometimes.

LOL

And the facts tell us that had it not been for the Bush tax cuts, we wouldn't have such a large deficit. Those are the facts, but let's not include them. Obama certainly has not been perfect, but the truth is that we would be in the same exact boat had McCain been elected. McCain wouldn't have done anything much different and the results would have been the same. The housing bust and all it's aftermath were more than any government action was going to correct. The actions taken most likely averted an even larger disaster but there just wasn't enough that could be done to avoid this recession. Believing differently is your prerogative but that won't make it true.

And the facts tell us that had it not been for the Bush tax cuts, we wouldn't have such a large deficit.
1: This is only true if you can show that the tax cuts did not increase growth, and thus, revenue. It is entirely possible that, absent these cuts, revenue would have been even lower.
2: You will recall that The Obama forced the Dems to extend the Bush-eta "tax cuts for the rich" in 2010 and so any FY2011/2012 (and later, if they are extended again) shortfall in revenue due to these tax cuts are directly attributable to the Obama, not GWB.

Whether it was spent on things before or after he became president is irrelevant. He is the current chief executive. He is the one who needs to show some leadership and work with Congress to close these deficits. He has not bothered to do so at all. Every department and government program across the board should be scrutinized and reduced without exception.
Correct.
Every dime is spent voluntarily. As soon as you take office, you take responsibility for the spending as you are never forced to spend anything.

That's a good response, including Obama as part of the problem. You're right he doesn't deserve all the blame.

Both democrats and republicans love spending us into oblivion, both knowing full well we can't afford it and will never be able to pay for it.

And the facts tell us that had it not been for the Bush tax cuts, we wouldn't have such a large deficit.
1: This is only true if you can show that the tax cuts did not increase growth, and thus, revenue. It is entirely possible that, absent these cuts, revenue would have been even lower.
2: You will recall that The Obama forced the Dems to extend the Bush-eta "tax cuts for the rich" in 2010 and so any FY2011/2012 (and later, if they are extended again) shortfall in revenue due to these tax cuts are directly attributable to the Obama, not GWB.
As information, The Obama's tax Cut for the Rich(tm) is said to have "cost" $858B over two years.

Obama Signs Bill To Extend Bush Tax Cuts - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

That's nearly $1T in debt dorectly attributable to The Obama as He forced the Dems to pass the bill before the GOP took over the House.

When signing the extension of GWB's tax cuts, The Obama said:

In fact, not only will middle class Americans avoid a tax increase...

Which is, of course, a lie as we all know that GWB only cut taxes for the rich.

Correct.
Every dime is spent voluntarily. As soon as you take office, you take responsibility for the spending as you are never forced to spend anything.

In fact, the candidates BEG for this responsibility.

3.5 years into it, Owebama plays helpless victim of circumstances.

Truth is, this asshole couldn't run a bake sale.

Keep up the twisting and lying.

Facts are a real mofo sometimes.

LOL

And the facts tell us that had it not been for the Bush tax cuts, we wouldn't have such a large deficit. Those are the facts, but let's not include them. Obama certainly has not been perfect, but the truth is that we would be in the same exact boat had McCain been elected. McCain wouldn't have done anything much different and the results would have been the same. The housing bust and all it's aftermath were more than any government action was going to correct. The actions taken most likely averted an even larger disaster but there just wasn't enough that could be done to avoid this recession. Believing differently is your prerogative but that won't make it true.

So the alternative to shit being shit excuses being shat upon. This country remains fucked.

Another Obama Record!

Record deficit, record budget deficit, record foreclosure rate, record poverty level increase, record food stamps, record number of Americans living abroad denouncing their citizenship! Did I miss any!

I don't get your point here....
I wake up every day and go to bed every night
being told by the media that this President has done
a tremendous job saving this country from disaster.

Forum List

Back