Obama did good killing NASA Manned space flight

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
No matter how hard Obama tries to destroy everything good about this country, with God's help, we find a way to make it better.

I was livid when he turned NASA into a Global Warming Advocacy group, Muslim outreach center and killed the Manned Space program in the process. GSA continues on to Vegas, Department of Education continues to breed idiots, but a source of American pride and innovation gets cancelled.

But, as happens with Free Enterprise, talented entrepreneurs have rushed in to fill the void.

They are building rockets capable of suborbital flight at 1/5 (20%) (not a typo) of the NASA cost.

They have hundreds of wealthy people lined up to take a flight into space, that's how Free Enterprise works and works best. They will continue collapsing the costs until we can finally launch our Liberals into space for the cost of a Venti Caramel Macchiato.

Welcome | Virgin Galactic

In a related note, 9 full months after the last space shuttle launch, only now is NASA firing 9% of the work force associated with that effort.

Well minus the political aspects of the post here, there has been somewhat if a boom in the private space industry as of late. Space X in fact is set at the end of this month is set to become the first "private" company to launch a spacecraft to the International Space Station. The Space X Dragon / Falcon 9 will resupply the station and in 2014 fly it's first manned mission. Space X stated by the founder of PayPal has a full launch manifest now for both NASA and several international customers and a bright future. Other companies are thriving as well, ULA, or United Launch Alliance which perhaps is the busiest partner with NASA in terms of unmanned missions , with its fleet of Atlas, and Delta rockets, will also launch its first manned mission around 2014 in partnership with NASA. There are still other companies, Blue Origin, another private company that was set up by the founder of Amazon.com, it is a Texas based company that plans to use its New Shepard spacecraft for sub-orbital commercial flights. Then still another there is Virgin Galactic, which already has over 50,000 customers signed up for its space flights and is the winner of the Ansari X prize for being the first private company to fly into space and safely return and this was done several years ago.

Manned Space Flight for this nation is not going anywhere it is set to enter a new phase , one where you will see a whole host of different types of spacecraft carrying both Govt. and private entities into space. NASA had for years flown the shuttle and lacked the vision to create a follow-on system of a long term vision for space flight. In fact they flew the shuttle for some 27 years without ever developing a follow on spacecraft and it left this nation in a postion with a multi billion dollar investment into the International Space Station with no way to get there, unless we rent rides on Soyuz which we now do, until companies like Space X and ULA come online. So in short due to mismanagment and a lack of vision on the part of NASA manned space flight came to where we are now. However, that does not mean manned space flight is going anywhere, and is at this time about to do quite well.

No matter how hard Obama tries to destroy everything good about this country, with God's help, we find a way to make it better.

I was livid when he turned NASA into a Global Warming Advocacy group, Muslim outreach center and killed the Manned Space program in the process. GSA continues on to Vegas, Department of Education continues to breed idiots, but a source of American pride and innovation gets cancelled.

But, as happens with Free Enterprise, talented entrepreneurs have rushed in to fill the void.

They are building rockets capable of suborbital flight at 1/5 (20%) (not a typo) of the NASA cost.

They have hundreds of wealthy people lined up to take a flight into space, that's how Free Enterprise works and works best. They will continue collapsing the costs until we can finally launch our Liberals into space for the cost of a Venti Caramel Macchiato.

Welcome | Virgin Galactic

In a related note, 9 full months after the last space shuttle launch, only now is NASA firing 9% of the work force associated with that effort.

I love Virgin Galactic, and all it stands for and will accomplish.

HOWEVER, it has nothing to do with manned space flight in the NASA sense, as it is sub-orbital only.

Private enterprise has been planning to try and work with/for NASA in regards to ISS supply/personnel transport, for years... ever since Bush decided to begin plans to retire the aging shuttle fleet, and is almost there. Armadillo, Space X, and many other are stepping in to fill the void, and I am all for that.

Last edited:
I am sad that the shuttle program came to an end too. When did humans stop exploring? And we were a leader in this area. Now we are depending on Russia to get a trip to the ISS. I think we should have done this ourselves. Also, what is sad, is how many that don't appreciate this great country of ours....

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
This is very possibly one of the WORST aspects of this administration for me. I cannot believe, for the very first time in my life, that the United States of America is not actively pursuing manned space flight. The fact that there are private companies who are willing to do it, just barely makes up for the disappointment and anger.

Barry and his cronies have placed this nation IN DANGER. Like the liberals that they are, they are hell bent on cutting and systematically dismantling the defense of this nation and it's manned space flight program as well.

Talk about a legacy... corruption, cronyism, and criminal neglect...

We can only hope that the private sector is able to replace NASA then for space travel. I tell you it will be a freakishly wild day the first private venture lands safely on the moon and returns.

SpaceX has been getting ready for its first mission to the international space station for months now. SpaceX is going to be the first private spacecraft to dock with the ISS after receiving the green light from NASA for a scheduled launch on April 30. The flight readiness review was approved at the Johnson Space Center this week.
SpaceX gets the green light for mission to ISS - SlashGear

Florida Girl, we are doing it ourselves, NASA in this case is more in the flight management roll and even that is done more by the "private" company than NASA. NASA's primary roll is overall management., which it should be. Honestly NASA should never be in the business of building, spacecraft, or the design side of it. While the in between time is a hard to take because at the moment we have no manned space flight capability, however I think the people at Virgin Galactic might argue that one with you, the blame for that lay in NASA's poor management over the years and lack of a long term vision for space flight. Take heart though, at least in my humble opinion in the coming years you will see a number of exciting things happen in Manned Space flight with a small step at the end of this month.

As for Virgin Galactic, of course it's not a NASA program and thats wonderful in my humble opinion it is a complete private program which will eventually not only carry people, but also offer cargo services to space in the future. While they are sub-orbital, they do have a memo if understanding with NASA for future and will eventually be a boom to the N.M. economy.

We can only hope that the private sector is able to replace NASA then for space travel. I tell you it will be a freakishly wild day the first private venture lands safely on the moon and returns.

I was VERY young during Apollo, and I barely remember the Apollo/Soyuz missions. I sincerely hope to see man on the moon again before I die.

As for Virgin Galactic, of course it's not a NASA program and thats wonderful in my humble opinion it is a complete private program which will eventually not only carry people, but also offer cargo services to space in the future. While they are sub-orbital, they do have a memo if understanding with NASA for future and will eventually be a boom to the N.M. economy.

I was unaware that VG had intentions on competing in anything other than space tourism. I didn't see anything about these aspiration on their website. Did I miss something good?

The Apollo 13 mission is a very inspirational story about what we can do despite huge problems...The movie is a favorite also...:)

1011-Virgin-Galactic-Enterprise_full_600.jpg

Here's a shot of Virgin Galactic's Enterprise spacecraft. Thought some would like to see it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

I was unaware that VG had intentions on competing in anything other than space tourism. I didn't see anything about these aspiration on their website. Did I miss something good?

Burt Rutan along with Paul Allen have begun development at Stratolaunch which is an array of launch systems set to also enter the commercial marketplace, forgive me, sometimes when I see these spacecraft, I have a problem removing Scaled Composites from the vision. However, VG, here is some info on VG for you...

The racks flown on SS2 will allow mounting of any combination of non-standard and standard payloads. Standard payloads are based on configurations already in use on platforms like ISS, including middeck lockers and cargo transfer bags, as well as other common standards such as server racks. Standard racks will support up to 108 cubic feet of usable payload volume. Additionally, experiments can be positioned within the rack system for a view through Virgin Galactic’s large, 17-inch-diameter-windows should acquisition of spectral data or imaging be desired.

News – NanoRacks | Virgin Galactic

Burt Rutan along with Paul Allen have begun development at Stratolaunch which is an array of launch systems set to also enter the commercial marketplace, forgive me, sometimes when I see these spacecraft, I have a problem removing Scaled Composites from the vision. However, VG, here is some info on VG for you...

The racks flown on SS2 will allow mounting of any combination of non-standard and standard payloads. Standard payloads are based on configurations already in use on platforms like ISS, including middeck lockers and cargo transfer bags, as well as other common standards such as server racks. Standard racks will support up to 108 cubic feet of usable payload volume. Additionally, experiments can be positioned within the rack system for a view through Virgin Galactic’s large, 17-inch-diameter-windows should acquisition of spectral data or imaging be desired.

Ok, I see. Separate companies. Virgin Galactic is sub-orbital, and Stratolaunch orbital. Check out his pic... sweet.
readmore_launch_2.jpg

Ok, I see. Separate companies. Virgin Galactic is sub-orbital, and Stratolaunch orbital. Check out his pic... sweet.
readmore_launch_2.jpg

Nice isnt it, when completed it will be the biggest aircraft in the world. btw, VG does plan to have a cargo capability in SS2 as I posted earlier, as they are concentrating on space tourism at the moment the capability is there , especially as it applies to the ISS. I have not heard of anything after 2007 when VG and NASA signed a memo of understanding as to any efforts otherwise, however, I am sure there is some out there. VG is laser focused on the NM and after that the Dubai Spaceports and getting SS2 going, and follow-on spacecraft to share the load from what I understand. Interesting thing though is Burt Rutan had a big roll across both companies. I have a lot of respect for him, he is a great aerospace engineer and I look forward to the Stratolaunch aircraft as well, especially with 6 G.E. Turbo-Fans on it.

I hate Obama, but i'm confused as to how cutting gov't spending in one area and that same area being handled better by a private company is a bad thing to anyone who would consider him or herself a small gov't fiscal conservative.

Now of course Obama makes up for it ten fold by wildly increasing spending everywhere else, but i still can't see how these NASA cuts are a negative.

I hate Obama, but i'm confused as to how cutting gov't spending in one area and that same area being handled better by a private company is a bad thing to anyone who would consider him or herself a small gov't fiscal conservative.

Now of course Obama makes up for it ten fold by wildly increasing spending everywhere else, but i still can't see how these NASA cuts are a negative.

They're good cuts as it turns out.

I'd like to see private enterprise launch ships to the Moon and planets too.

The surface of the Moon is chock full of rare elements that might be commercially harvested and send back to Earth using something like the sled Asimov and other science fiction writers proposed "back in the day"

Last edited:

The surface of the Moon is chock full of rare elements that might be commercially harvested and send back to Earth using something like the sled Asimov and other science fiction writers proposed "back in the day"

Not too far away Frank...

SPACEX

Speaking of that as it turns out one of the leading champions for returning to the Moon for its resources is Dr. Harrison Schmitt, as it turns out the Apollo missions unlike some choose to believe were not simply just a collection of flights to collect rocks. Those rocks actually verified the existence of a very rare element He3 which is a safe fuel for fusion reactors.

NASA's planned moon base announced last week could pave the way for deeper space exploration to Mars, but one of the biggest beneficiaries may be the terrestrial energy industry.

Nestled among the agency's 200-point mission goals is a proposal to mine the moon for fuel used in fusion reactors -- futuristic power plants that have been demonstrated in proof-of-concept but are likely decades away from commercial deployment.

Helium-3 is considered a safe, environmentally friendly fuel candidate for these generators, and while it is scarce on Earth it is plentiful on the moon.

As a result, scientists have begun to consider the practicality of mining lunar Helium-3 as a replacement for fossil fuels.
Race to the Moon for Nuclear Fuel

US manned spaceflight from beginning to end is an exercise in positive propaganda that no longer has the power to capture the attention of the public. If manned space flight is to have a place in the world it has to be for more than just a way for nations to show-off. They have to find the practical commercial side of it or drop it. It pains me to say that having grown up in the midst of the Apollo program but it's the hard truth, manned spaceflight must become a paying venture to survive.

Forum List

Back