The 1950s were overrated!

I purposely didn't call you a commie. This distinction may not mean much to you, but I wanted to stress the association between liberals and commies. The spy rings weren't recruiting John Birch Society members to spy for the Soviet Union, they were recruiting liberals. Many of your posts keep harping about the efforts to run to ground the infiltration of communists into American institutions and frankly, knowing what has been released due to de-classification, I say good for the commie-hunters. You on the other hand seem to have a lot of sympathy for American communists and accused communists and speak of this activity as a black mark on society.

Would commie sympathizer be more accurate than commie-lite? If so, I'm fine with making the substitution.

You know absolutely nothing about me, Rik, and you are just digging your hole deeper. I strongly suggest that you reframe from making personal observations about people you don't know that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion thread itself. Trust me. it would be recognized as a mark of maturity. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

Lak,
BTW, regarding Ray Charles. He had his cabaret license revoked by Georgia over marijuana possession, as I recall, and did not perform in the state for over 15 years. He came back when the legislature made his versions of "Georgia", the state song. I named my daughter after that song.

I purposely didn't call you a commie. This distinction may not mean much to you, but I wanted to stress the association between liberals and commies. The spy rings weren't recruiting John Birch Society members to spy for the Soviet Union, they were recruiting liberals. Many of your posts keep harping about the efforts to run to ground the infiltration of communists into American institutions and frankly, knowing what has been released due to de-classification, I say good for the commie-hunters. You on the other hand seem to have a lot of sympathy for American communists and accused communists and speak of this activity as a black mark on society.

Would commie sympathizer be more accurate than commie-lite? If so, I'm fine with making the substitution.

You know absolutely nothing about me, Rik, and you are just digging your hole deeper. I strongly suggest that you reframe from making personal observations about people you don't know that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion thread itself. Trust me. it would be recognized as a mark of maturity. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

I'm just taking you at your words. When you are saying that the 50s was a bad era because commies were being hunted, and we ALL now know that this was a valid fear due to communist infiltration, I can't see how sympathy for communists is defensible, especially considering that another aspect of the 50s that you criticize, the bomb scare, is directly attributable to American spies disclosing nuclear secrets to the Soviets.

When you express sympathy for the commies being hunted by the Feds, I'm making a very defensible assessment of where you stand - it's your own declarations that are the source here.

That's it Rik. This thread is not about me, and apparently you are not mature enough to keep personal observations and name calling out of it. I won't be baited by folks like you, because I have gone past Jr. high school. You are on "ignore", now, You can call me anything you want, and I won't give a rat's ass. I think it is a win/win situation.

I'm glad that VandleShandle posted so many 50s videos in this topic. It reminds me how much I missed watching movies like The Avengers and Iron Man. I'd much rather watch some hacky little bitch like Elvis dance on a beach.

Fuck the 50s! They SUCKED!

"After the '80s, the '90s are gonna make the '60s look like the '50s!"

-- closing line, "Flashback" movie

In the 50s the streets of all black Harlem were safe enough to walk after dark. Rich people went there for the restaurants and night clubs. There were fabulous jazz clubs where those who could afford it went to see Louis Armstrong and Lena Horne.

The dangerous places were Italian Irish and later Puerto Rican.

Harlem is still a great place to live

Even the Clinton's moved there
Not true unless Chaooaqua is in Harlem. But they are planning on moving from the house they bought in Chappaqua.

Looks like Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton are moving on up — to a deluxe mansion away from prying eyes.

Sources told The Post the Clintons are planning to trade their almost-modest suburban Chappaqua home for a sprawling $10.9 million estate in the bucolic Westchester town of Bedford Hills, complete with 20 acres of gorgeous land surrounded by New York’s elite.

The massive compound — sweetly named Clover Hill Farm — comes with high fences, two guesthouses and a mansion fit for Bubba’s millionaire lifestyle.

The home — found only after a long cruise down a private road — is 7,000 square feet with a large foyer, wood paneled library with fireplace, chef’s kitchen with fireplace, five bedrooms, six full bathrooms and two half bathrooms.

That means plenty of room for grandkids and the Secret Service.

Not true unless Chaooaqua is in Harlem. But they are planning on moving from the house they bought in Chappaqua.

Looks like Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton are moving on up — to a deluxe mansion away from prying eyes.

Sources told The Post the Clintons are planning to trade their almost-modest suburban Chappaqua home for a sprawling $10.9 million estate in the bucolic Westchester town of Bedford Hills, complete with 20 acres of gorgeous land surrounded by New York’s elite.

The massive compound — sweetly named Clover Hill Farm — comes with high fences, two guesthouses and a mansion fit for Bubba’s millionaire lifestyle.

The home — found only after a long cruise down a private road — is 7,000 square feet with a large foyer, wood paneled library with fireplace, chef’s kitchen with fireplace, five bedrooms, six full bathrooms and two half bathrooms.

Good to see they care so deeply about the carbon footprint thing. We should all downsize to make up for it I guess.

Good to see they care so deeply about the carbon footprint thing. We should all downsize to make up for it I guess.
What hypocrisy: how do you think the Bush's live?

What hypocrisy: how do you think the Bush's live?
I don't recall the Bush's getting involved with the carbon scam.

Anyone remember the Amos 'n' Andy Show (1951-1953)? Funny stuff.

Amos and Andy Dealing with being Gay in the 1950s.mp4 - YouTube
This is not about homosexuality at all. Men can love each other without there being an implication of any sexual feelings. When he says he loves another man in this this video, there is absolutely no suggestion of homosexuality but of one man caring for another in a platonic way, like brothers. One of the things that is a problem nowadays is that men can no longer express such feelings because people assume it means they are gay.

Unfortunately, in the 50's gays could not come out of the closet.Today they can, so that's better, but nowadays, men cannot express a platonic, brotherly love for another man without being suspected of being gay. Two sides to this coin.

It's puzzling that liberals can look to the 50s as the time when we were doing so well economically that we should return to those economic policies and then turn around and tell us how bad it was.

Black people had a thriving middle class. Women had good jobs. There just weren't a lot of women in the professions because they chose not to go into the professions.

Blacks had a thriving middle class because of manufacturing jobs. Those jobs are gone

Women had good jobs as teachers, nurses and secretaries but knew better than to expect more. Women did not become professionals because they were told that these jobs needed to be reserved for "breadwinners" and that they would not be hired because they would quit to have babies

Probably because they DID quit to have babies! How many women today never enter the workforce at all because they have babies? The government has just replaced the husband as the family breadwinner.

We had a thriving manufacturing base, BEFORE liberals regulated manufacturing out of the country and before Union vampires finally killed off the host and forced manufacturers out of the country.

The 50s were by no means perfect, but they were in many ways much better than they are today.

Well, since I was born and spent my early years in the 50's, I have to admit that I look back on those years very fondly. My mother and father were alive, and my brothers and sisters were all younger, in prime health and being as young as I was (the youngest of six), really didn't have a care in the world. Ed Sullivan was on Sunday evenings. Chet Huntley and David Brinkley were doing the NBC News. Our black and white TV got two channels, three if we waited until past 9:00PM at night and turned the antenna just right. I would leave the house at 8:00am and played in the neighborhood until supper time when my father would stand on the front porch and whistle. You'd better answer and come right now, else you'd get in deep trouble. And if you did something wrong? Every person in town knew who you were and you could count on a phone call to your parents. Course, that's when you went through an operator to make even a local call because the phones didn't have a dial. When you did pick up a phone to make a call, the operator that answered was more likely a friends mom and she'd ask how you and your parents were. Every car was as big as a house and it was no big deal to lay on the back deck in the rear window and go to sleep while your father drove down to the A&W for a root beer. 5 cents for a small mug. 10 cents for a large one, but that was usually for adults.

Yeah, it was a horrible time. Forgive me if I don't whine and moan about the horrible social issues of the time. I wish there were more times like it ahead.

And when you talked to someone they didn't have their head buried in an iPhone checking Facebook. lol

It sounded like a great time to me.

The 1950's had great music, cars, films but society did not grow, people lived in fear of nuclear war. People seemed to be resting and recovering from WWII. The positive and the negatives seem to mirror just about any era.

Alex, I respect your opinion - but that isn't even close to the way I remember it - except for the concern over nuclear war. The America I knew prospered in the 1950s - and 1960s. Google it.

I am not talking about the economy I am talking about society in general.

"During the 1950s, a sense of uniformity pervaded American society. Conformity was common, as young and old alike followed group norms rather than striking out on their own. Though men and women had been forced into new employment patterns during World War II, once the war was over, traditional roles were reaffirmed. Men expected to be the breadwinners; women, even when they worked, assumed their proper place was at home. Sociologist David Riesman observed the importance of peer-group expectations in his influential book, The Lonely Crowd. He called this new society "other-directed," and maintained that such societies lead to stability as well as conformity. Television contributed to the homogenizing trend by providing young and old with a shared experience reflecting accepted social patterns."

United States History - The Culture of the 1950s

That was the way it was. On the surface. Underneath, a storm was brewing in many areas. Men like the Tuskeegee Airmen came home, and no longer accepted the slot others believed they should occupy base solely on the color of their skin. Children of the men that had gone to war against the great injustices in Asia and Europe, saw the injustices and cultural straightjackets here at home, and rebeled, creating the glorious sixties. And the rest is history.

Nothing is static, I agree there was a storm brewing but that took place in the next decade. The 1950's were more sedate.It was a time for society in the US to rest from the second world war and for new ideas to take shape.

I know some of you want to go back to the 50s. I think the 1950s were overrated. I would never want to go back to the 1950s. In the 1950s they censored comic books and as a believer of freedom of speech I don't think any form of art should be relegated to children's entertainment!

Read this!
10centplague.jpg

Do you support censorship of art?

I don't know what the 50's looked like or how it really was in comparison to how people say it was.

All I know is I was born in the wrong century. 500 years in either direction and I would've been just fine.

The 1950's had great music, cars, films but society did not grow, people lived in fear of nuclear war. People seemed to be resting and recovering from WWII. The positive and the negatives seem to mirror just about any era.

Alex, I respect your opinion - but that isn't even close to the way I remember it - except for the concern over nuclear war. The America I knew prospered in the 1950s - and 1960s. Google it.

"During the 1950s, a sense of uniformity pervaded American society. Conformity was common, as young and old alike followed group norms rather than striking out on their own. Though men and women had been forced into new employment patterns during World War II, once the war was over, traditional roles were reaffirmed. Men expected to be the breadwinners; women, even when they worked, assumed their proper place was at home. Sociologist David Riesman observed the importance of peer-group expectations in his influential book, The Lonely Crowd. He called this new society "other-directed," and maintained that such societies lead to stability as well as conformity. Television contributed to the homogenizing trend by providing young and old with a shared experience reflecting accepted social patterns."

That was the way it was. On the surface. Underneath, a storm was brewing in many areas. Men like the Tuskeegee Airmen came home, and no longer accepted the slot others believed they should occupy base solely on the color of their skin. Children of the men that had gone to war against the great injustices in Asia and Europe, saw the injustices and cultural straightjackets here at home, and rebeled, creating the glorious sixties. And the rest is history.

Nothing is static, I agree there was a storm brewing but that took place in the next decade. The 1950's were more sedate.It was a time for society in the US to rest from the second world war and for new ideas to take shape.

I don't see much in the way of "new ideas"; I saw old ideas festering and rotting, leading to the upheaval of the '60s -- ideas of materialism, core values, social values of race and gender, old ideas that the '60s called out and asked "wtf are we doing?"

New ideas in the '50s were mostly superficial -- technologies and household products and the "space race". And an emerging awareness of our African cultural influence, co-opted first and acknowledged later.

In the third grade, all of us kids were issued military style dog tags that we were supposed to wear all the time, so that our bodies could be identified in case of a nuclear attack.

That tends to leave a negative impression on a 9 year old....

In the third grade, all of us kids were issued military style dog tags that we were supposed to wear all the time, so that our bodies could be identified in case of a nuclear attack.

That tends to leave a negative impression on a 9 year old....

I graduated high school in 1964, and I NEVER experienced anything like that from 1st thru 12th - not even close.

Last edited:

I don't see much in the way of "new ideas"; I saw old ideas festering and rotting, leading to the upheaval of the '60s -- ideas of materialism, core values, social values of race and gender, old ideas that the '60s called out and asked "wtf are we doing?"

New ideas in the '50s were mostly superficial -- technologies and household products and the "space race". And an emerging awareness of our African cultural influence, co-opted first and acknowledged later.

One example of a more in depth new idea was the beginning of the civil right movement that new idea led to change in the 1960's.

Forum List

Back