The 1950s were overrated!

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I know some of you want to go back to the 50s. I think the 1950s were overrated. I would never want to go back to the 1950s. In the 1950s they censored comic books and as a believer of freedom of speech I don't think any form of art should be relegated to children's entertainment!

Read this!
10centplague.jpg

Do you support censorship of art?

Well, since I was born and spent my early years in the 50's, I have to admit that I look back on those years very fondly. My mother and father were alive, and my brothers and sisters were all younger, in prime health and being as young as I was (the youngest of six), really didn't have a care in the world. Ed Sullivan was on Sunday evenings. Chet Huntley and David Brinkley were doing the NBC News. Our black and white TV got two channels, three if we waited until past 9:00PM at night and turned the antenna just right. I would leave the house at 8:00am and played in the neighborhood until supper time when my father would stand on the front porch and whistle. You'd better answer and come right now, else you'd get in deep trouble. And if you did something wrong? Every person in town knew who you were and you could count on a phone call to your parents. Course, that's when you went through an operator to make even a local call because the phones didn't have a dial. When you did pick up a phone to make a call, the operator that answered was more likely a friends mom and she'd ask how you and your parents were. Every car was as big as a house and it was no big deal to lay on the back deck in the rear window and go to sleep while your father drove down to the A&W for a root beer. 5 cents for a small mug. 10 cents for a large one, but that was usually for adults.

Yeah, it was a horrible time. Forgive me if I don't whine and moan about the horrible social issues of the time. I wish there were more times like it ahead.

all-american-men-of-war-94-russ-heath.jpg

0.jpg

Why did people in the 1950s like movies and comics that sanitized and glorified war?

Are there any good war comics that come close to Saving Private Ryan?

Jake, really? I mean fathers, like mine, had spent the early part of the 40's in war. Either in Europe against the Nazis or in the far east against Japan. Then in the early 50's against the North Koreans and the Chinese. Chances are, they talked about it just enough to get your ears perked up. And then, when they saw you were listening, it would grow silent. There were probably mementos in the house; uniforms, medals, equipment that they brought back with them. I was proud of my father, even back then before I understood the full ramifications of what he did. He waded ashore onto Omaha beach for crying out loud. Fought clear across France and into Germany. My dad was and is a true American hero. A member of the greatest generation. My mother worked while he was gone and raised four children alone. Her feat alone is simply astounding. They were both heroes in my eyes and luckily I had the opportunity to tell both of them before they passed. God Bless them and what they did.

You have no idea of what you write about.

Jake, really? I mean fathers, like mine, had spent the early part of the 40's in war. Either in Europe against the Nazis or in the far east against Japan. Then in the early 50's against the North Koreans and the Chinese. Chances are, they talked about it just enough to get your ears perked up. And then, when they saw you were listening, it would grow silent. There were probably mementos in the house; uniforms, medals, equipment that they brought back with them. I was proud of my father, even back then before I understood the full ramifications of what he did. He waded ashore onto Omaha beach for crying out loud. Fought clear across France and into Germany. My dad was and is a true American hero. A member of the greatest generation. My mother worked while he was gone and raised four children alone. Her feat alone is simply astounding. They were both heroes in my eyes and luckily I had the opportunity to tell both of them before they passed. God Bless them and what they did.

You have no idea of what you write about.
Amen brother...my old man was too old for the war but worked his ass off from 1926 thru 1976....died in 1998...the old breed.

Forum List

Back