The $100/hr. Minimum Wage idea I presented isn't popular?

Republicans have threatened escalating prices every time a minimum wage increase was proposed

Prices will go through the roof
People will lose their jobs

Hasn't happened

$100 an hour is too high

$10-$15 an hour is more justified

Why is it too high? I think $50-$75 an hour would be fair. It would increase our income tax revenue. It would allow those that are on subsidies to get off and save the government billions.

That's the spirit! Now you're just 25% away from my suggestion! If $75 is fair, why is $100 unfair?

Yes... We'll save billions and increase tax revenues! But mostly, we'll be providing a decent living wage for the first time since Democrats promised it back in 1933!

Republicans have threatened escalating prices every time a minimum wage increase was proposed

Hasn't happened

See Yarddog? ...rightwinger sez it won't happen! That proves it won't because he is so smart!

I think I have proposed it in a couple of threads already but in case you missed it. I argue that we should forget about this paltry $15 crap and raise the national minimum wage to a REAL living wage of $100/hr. But the thing is, as soon as I said it... the liberals clamoring for $15 hr. minimum wage began to ridicule my suggestion and claim I wasn't being "serious" about it. I'm totally serious... to heck with all this constant and perpetual complaining, let's do something to end this whinefest once and for all!

I mean... For 82 years, since FDR introduced us to the MW, it has been promised this will deliver a decent living wage for all Americans. Each time it has been raised, the promise is again renewed. If only we can raise it a little more.... it's always the same tune. So I say we go ahead and raise the minimum wage to $100/hr. so that everyone in America will be making a decent living wage. What's wrong with my idea?

The only reason I keep being given is "that's just not reasonable" but no real explanation as to why? I think it's very reasonable... look at all these CEOs making millions... look at all these corporations with record profits... look at all these 1% people in their mansions and yachts... surely we can afford to pay lowly "workers" a decent wage! Come on, where is your Communist spirit, liberals? Why would you prefer to waste your time fighting for a measly $15 when you could have $100? All the camping out and shitting on cop cars for such a small increase seems sort of dumb when you can go for something meaningful like a $100/hr. minimum wage! I just don't understand why you're not on board with my plan.

I've really tried to figure out why the left is so opposed to my idea. Is it because such an increase would actually solve the wage disparity problem and there wouldn't be a need for their perpetual activism anymore? Man, it's really gonna suck whenever we reach Utopia and you guys don't have anything to protest for anymore, isn't it? What in the world will you do with all that time? I guess if it were me, I would be scared of such ideas because it might render my life meaningless... nothing to fight for anymore, no more crusade to join... such a boring life!

Just take a minute and imagine it... All we have to do is elect enough politicians who will simply pass a law! Once we've set the new $100/hr. MW, well... the greedy rich bastard capitalists will just have to fork over the loot man! What choice do they have, right? Guess they'll just have to give up those profits and high-paid CEOs! They'll figure it out, they always do! Anywayz... what does it matter if you're knocking down the big bucks? You'll be rolling with fat stacks! Who cares if it puts some greedy rich old white bastard out of business? Maybe they NEED to be out of business? If they can't afford a decent living wage, they shouldn't be allowed to exist, right? I mean... that IS what FDR said 82 years ago.

Or, you can give what the middle class, small business, and retirees need:

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2015 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with 500 employees or less, employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2015 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce small business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

My plan would hold prices for 10 years, thus eliminating inflation.

$100 an hour is too high

$10-$15 an hour is more justified

Why is it too high? I think $50-$75 an hour would be fair. It would increase our income tax revenue. It would allow those that are on subsidies to get off and save the government billions.

hey, why not make minimum wage for entire planet $500/hr. I'm sick of poverty and seeing millions and millions starve to death!!

We should have done this long ago!!!

Hasn't happened

See Yarddog? ...rightwinger sez it won't happen! That proves it won't because he is so smart!

Moving from $7.25 to $15 over a period of five years will not destroy the economy or bring business to its knees

I saw minimum wage rise from $2 to $4 and in spite of dire threats of catastrophe from the right.....unemployment didn't skyrocket and prices didn't rise

The market adjusted

I think I have proposed it in a couple of threads already but in case you missed it. I argue that we should forget about this paltry $15 crap and raise the national minimum wage to a REAL living wage of $100/hr. But the thing is, as soon as I said it... the liberals clamoring for $15 hr. minimum wage began to ridicule my suggestion and claim I wasn't being "serious" about it. I'm totally serious... to heck with all this constant and perpetual complaining, let's do something to end this whinefest once and for all!

I mean... For 82 years, since FDR introduced us to the MW, it has been promised this will deliver a decent living wage for all Americans. Each time it has been raised, the promise is again renewed. If only we can raise it a little more.... it's always the same tune. So I say we go ahead and raise the minimum wage to $100/hr. so that everyone in America will be making a decent living wage. What's wrong with my idea?

The only reason I keep being given is "that's just not reasonable" but no real explanation as to why? I think it's very reasonable... look at all these CEOs making millions... look at all these corporations with record profits... look at all these 1% people in their mansions and yachts... surely we can afford to pay lowly "workers" a decent wage! Come on, where is your Communist spirit, liberals? Why would you prefer to waste your time fighting for a measly $15 when you could have $100? All the camping out and shitting on cop cars for such a small increase seems sort of dumb when you can go for something meaningful like a $100/hr. minimum wage! I just don't understand why you're not on board with my plan.

I've really tried to figure out why the left is so opposed to my idea. Is it because such an increase would actually solve the wage disparity problem and there wouldn't be a need for their perpetual activism anymore? Man, it's really gonna suck whenever we reach Utopia and you guys don't have anything to protest for anymore, isn't it? What in the world will you do with all that time? I guess if it were me, I would be scared of such ideas because it might render my life meaningless... nothing to fight for anymore, no more crusade to join... such a boring life!

Just take a minute and imagine it... All we have to do is elect enough politicians who will simply pass a law! Once we've set the new $100/hr. MW, well... the greedy rich bastard capitalists will just have to fork over the loot man! What choice do they have, right? Guess they'll just have to give up those profits and high-paid CEOs! They'll figure it out, they always do! Anywayz... what does it matter if you're knocking down the big bucks? You'll be rolling with fat stacks! Who cares if it puts some greedy rich old white bastard out of business? Maybe they NEED to be out of business? If they can't afford a decent living wage, they shouldn't be allowed to exist, right? I mean... that IS what FDR said 82 years ago.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2015 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with 500 employees or less, employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2015 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce small business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

The problem is your plan is too weak. You want to adjust to 1970 levels but in 1970, a MW worker wasn't making a "living wage" ...you were all clamoring for a MW increase back then. What is the point of us fighting tooth and nail to raise the MW to something that is insufficient?

IF your plan for a $23.50/hr. MW is good, mine is better!

Hasn't happened

Moving from $7.25 to $15 over a period of five years will not destroy the economy or bring business to its knees

I saw minimum wage rise from $2 to $4 and in spite of dire threats of catastrophe from the right.....unemployment didn't skyrocket and prices didn't rise

The market adjusted

Right... so it shouldn't be a problem going from $7.25 to $100 either. Same principles are in play. The market will adjust.

Hasn't happened

The market adjusted

Right... so it shouldn't be a problem going from $7.25 to $100 either. Same principles are in play. The market will adjust.

More nonsense trying to rescue your ridiculous premise

If you want to raise the wage $7 why not $93. Why not $1000?

Hasn't happened

The market adjusted

Rescue a ridiculous premise? ...And to think, I just told someone how smart you are? My "premise" is the same as yours... I want people to make a decent living wage! You, and others like you, have been arguing that an increase to $15 won't effect prices or the economy... So why not raise it to $100? ...Isn't $100 better than $15? Wouldn't that solve the "wealth disparity" problem for the most part? If it doesn't effect prices at $15 then it shouldn't effect prices at $100. It makes no rational sense why it would. It's just a different number, it doesn't change the principles or premise.

What is ridiculous is that you're opposed to a $100 MW, apparently. And you can't really give me any good reason why. I keep asking you... I've asked others here to explain it, and all I get is eye-rolling.

Hasn't happened

The market adjusted

Rescue a ridiculous premise? ...And to think, I just told someone how smart you are? My "premise" is the same as yours... I want people to make a decent living wage! You, and others like you, have been arguing that an increase to $15 won't effect prices or the economy... So why not raise it to $100? ...Isn't $100 better than $15? Wouldn't that solve the "wealth disparity" problem for the most part? If it doesn't effect prices at $15 then it shouldn't effect prices at $100. It makes no rational sense why it would. It's just a different number, it doesn't change the principles or premise.

What is ridiculous is that you're opposed to a $100 MW, apparently. And you can't really give me any good reason why. I keep asking you... I've asked others here to explain it, and all I get is eye-rolling.
Double down on hyperbole

...And to think, I just told someone how smart you are?
Double down on hyperbole

I know, right? ...Still, I have every faith in the world in your smarts when it comes to this!

...So when are you going to explain to me why my $100 MW idea won't work? Why your charts and graphs of history showing how it won't increase prices or cost jobs, would not work the same way?

Again--- Logic--- YOUR logic-- If there is no adverse consequences to raising it from $7.25 to $15... then there should be no adverse consequence in raising it to $100. If it gains a benefit to increase it from $7.25 to $15, then it gains considerably more benefit to raise it to $100.

This "stands to reason" according to your own arguments until you explain otherwise.

We're waiting.

And hey guys and gals... we can get into some really heavy dynamic thinking on this....

Okay, with a $100 MW, maybe we don't need the 40-hr. work weeks anymore? You can work an 8-hr. shift down at the music store every few days and make $800.... maybe every job in America would have 3-4 people doing it instead of one? Think of all the employment this would create? All of a sudden, everybody is working their part-time job making really good money! No one is on welfare, 'cause, why would you be? At $100 an hour, you can't afford to be on welfare. You'd want to be working, doing something... minding the convenience store... being a security guard... watching rugrats... something. It's all gonna pay $100 hr., so anything will do.

We'd literally have 0% unemployment I bet!

And hey guys and gals... we can get into some really heavy dynamic thinking on this....

Okay, with a $100 MW, maybe we don't need the 40-hr. work weeks anymore? You can work an 8-hr. shift down at the music store every few days and make $800.... maybe every job in America would have 3-4 people doing it instead of one? Think of all the employment this would create? All of a sudden, everybody is working their part-time job making really good money! No one is on welfare, 'cause, why would you be? At $100 an hour, you can't afford to be on welfare. You'd want to be working, doing something... minding the convenience store... being a security guard... watching rugrats... something. It's all gonna pay $100 hr., so anything will do.

We'd literally have 0% unemployment I bet!

More "logic" from the liar who said this stuff:

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"Not true. If you reside somewhere else and earn income somewhere else, the US has no authority to tax you."

BZZ WRONG.

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"You seem to think the US has some kind of taxing power that enables them to go all over the world taxing people in different countries because they happen to be US citizens. They don't."

BZZ WRONG. ALL US CITIZENS OWE TAXES ON ANY INCOME (OFFSET BY THOSE TAX TREATIES/TAXES PAID)

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"Your taxes are paid on the income you claim in the US. If I make $10 million in Germany and claim it as income in the US, then I pay taxes on it."

BZZ WRONG. There is no double taxation, that's what the treaties do. UNLESS it's from a TAX HAVEN then YOU PROBABLY will OWE US taxes if you bring it back!

BUT IF YOU MAKE $10,000,000 IN GERMANY, AND PAY THEIR TAX RATES, YOUR US BURDEN WOULD BE ZERO, BECAUSE THEY HAVE A HIGHER TAX BURDEN, YOU CAN BRING THE MONEY HOME ANYTIME, WITHOUT DOUBLE TAXATION!!!!

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"Your worldwide income (i.e.; your reported income earnings from abroad.) If you do not claim them as income they are not earnings and not taxable. "

BZZ WRONG.

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"I made $5 million IN Germany... got it? I paid income taxes on it, TO Germany? Following me? The money is still IN Germany, in a German bank, collecting German interest. Each year, I have to pay Germany tax on the interest dividends."

COOL. AND YOU ARE REQUIRED TO REPORT THAT TO US TAX AUTHORITY

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"It is NOT US INCOME! It doesn't ever BECOME US income unless I bring it to the US and claim it as income. If I do that, I will be taxed AGAIN."

BZZ WRONG, AGAIN, ALL INCOME FROM ANY SOURCE WHETHER YOU ARE ON US SOIL OR TEA-BAGGERSTAN OR GERMANY, IS REQUIRED TO BE REPORTED TO US TAX AUTHORITY, BUT SINCE (AGAIN) GERMANY HAS A HIGHER TAX BURDEN, THERE WOULD PROB BE NO NEW US TAX BURDEN IF YOU BRING THE MONEY TO THE US!

BOSS THE DUMBASS SAYS:

"My plan is to eliminate double taxation. Repatriate that wealth and create new jobs with it."

YOUR "PLAN" DO SOMETHING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT'S NOT BEING DONE??? LOL

Lot's of fun showing that YOU are not only a stupid MF but a liar too Bubs

ALL from this one little thread where his "plan" was to fix the US economy, lol

Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US? | Page 289 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Make inversion illegal.

Just raise the minimum wage to $100 an hour and to hell with your BS!

Hasn't happened

The market adjusted

So moving the minimum wage to $100 wouldn't be a catastrophe. Why don't you think people should make $100 per hour. It would seriously close the gap between rich and poor.

Conservatives act as though the cost of labor is the only business challenge that a business faces. The costs of goods and services go up, rents go up, taxes go up, advertising costs go up

Yet Conservatives don't turn on landlords raising their rents, suppliers increasing the cost of hamburgers or god forbid, Corporate Executives...they turn on the people earning the least

Why are they not screaming that these increases will cost jobs or cause the price of a hamburger to double? It seems only a minimum wage increase can do this

Businesses have been benefiting from a minimum wage of $7.25 that has been frozen for seven years. Other costs have gone up, the price of labor hasn't. Time to end the free ride and return minimum wage to where it should be

Conservatives act as though the cost of labor is the only business challenge that a business faces. The costs of goods and services go up, rents go up, taxes go up, advertising costs go up

Yet Conservatives don't turn on landlords raising their rents, suppliers increasing the cost of hamburgers or god forbid, Corporate Executives...they turn on the people earning the least

Why are they not screaming that these increases will cost jobs or cause the price of a hamburger to double? It seems only a minimum wage increase can do this

Businesses have been benefiting from a minimum wage of $7.25 that has been frozen for seven years. Other costs have gone up, the price of labor hasn't. Time to end the free ride and return minimum wage to where it should be

Well, I am not turning on anyone here. I am proposing a $100/hr. minimum wage and you are having trouble explaining why this is a nonsensical idea or why it wouldn't work. You've presented an argument for raising it to $15 and tell us the data shows it won't increase prices or cost jobs. If there is no negative side effects, we should increase it to $100. I accept your argument, I believe you... it won't cost jobs or make prices go up... so let's raise it to $100/hr. and give people a REAL living wage. Why are you opposing me?

When you say "return the minimum wage to where it should be" and you're only wanting it to be at $15... makes me think you don't grasp the problem or maybe you don't want to solve it? Like... Perhaps you'd rather have people stuck at $15 for the next decade or so while you run around politicking and promising to fight for another increase? Like your party has been doing for the past 82 years. Promising a living wage but not ever fully delivering on that promise as this would render you useless.

I say we dismiss you small-thinkers and adopt a minimum wage with teeth! Heck, there's no harm in raising it... you've shown us all the charts and data... So why not raise it to $100?

..................Still waiting!

I suppose you'll be giving up some butt hole soon.

Well, I am not turning on anyone here. I am proposing a $100/hr. minimum wage and you are having trouble explaining why this is a nonsensical idea or why it wouldn't work. You've presented an argument for raising it to $15 and tell us the data shows it won't increase prices or cost jobs. If there is no negative side effects, we should increase it to $100. I accept your argument, I believe you... it won't cost jobs or make prices go up... so let's raise it to $100/hr. and give people a REAL living wage. Why are you opposing me?

When you say "return the minimum wage to where it should be" and you're only wanting it to be at $15... makes me think you don't grasp the problem or maybe you don't want to solve it? Like... Perhaps you'd rather have people stuck at $15 for the next decade or so while you run around politicking and promising to fight for another increase? Like your party has been doing for the past 82 years. Promising a living wage but not ever fully delivering on that promise as this would render you useless.

I say we dismiss you small-thinkers and adopt a minimum wage with teeth! Heck, there's no harm in raising it... you've shown us all the charts and data... So why not raise it to $100?

..................Still waiting!

Since you DON'T understand how taxes work, NOW you are uniformed on elasticity of labor/costs? lol

Minimum Wage and the Elasticity of Demand

The minimum wage and elasticity of labor demand

A couple weeks ago I argued that an increase in minimum wage could decrease unemployment, because workers’ increased spending power would lead to increased consumption and therefore would require firms to hire more workers to keep up with demand for products.

Now, I will argue that this only works if the price elasticity of demand for labor (ED) is much less in absolute terms than the price elasticity of the labor supply. In other words, unemployment will decrease only if the higher minimum wage results in relatively few workers being let go.

Why is demand for labor price inelastic? Simply put, it’s easy to raise wages by, say, 25%, but it’s hard to raise each worker’s productivity by the same amount. So a firm that has to increase its workers’ pay won’t be able to maintain the same level of productivity unless it doesn’t fire very many workers after the pay hike. The firm’s labor costs are just going to have to go up, if it wants to keep productivity at the same level. It therefore makes sense that demand for labor would be price inelastic.

But how inelastic does it have to be, in order for a minimum wage increase to lead to decreased unemployment? Let’s work it out mathematically.

The minimum wage and elasticity of labor demand

Forum List

Back