The $100/hr. Minimum Wage idea I presented isn't popular?

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I think I have proposed it in a couple of threads already but in case you missed it. I argue that we should forget about this paltry $15 crap and raise the national minimum wage to a REAL living wage of $100/hr. But the thing is, as soon as I said it... the liberals clamoring for $15 hr. minimum wage began to ridicule my suggestion and claim I wasn't being "serious" about it. I'm totally serious... to heck with all this constant and perpetual complaining, let's do something to end this whinefest once and for all!

I mean... For 82 years, since FDR introduced us to the MW, it has been promised this will deliver a decent living wage for all Americans. Each time it has been raised, the promise is again renewed. If only we can raise it a little more.... it's always the same tune. So I say we go ahead and raise the minimum wage to $100/hr. so that everyone in America will be making a decent living wage. What's wrong with my idea?

The only reason I keep being given is "that's just not reasonable" but no real explanation as to why? I think it's very reasonable... look at all these CEOs making millions... look at all these corporations with record profits... look at all these 1% people in their mansions and yachts... surely we can afford to pay lowly "workers" a decent wage! Come on, where is your Communist spirit, liberals? Why would you prefer to waste your time fighting for a measly $15 when you could have $100? All the camping out and shitting on cop cars for such a small increase seems sort of dumb when you can go for something meaningful like a $100/hr. minimum wage! I just don't understand why you're not on board with my plan.

I've really tried to figure out why the left is so opposed to my idea. Is it because such an increase would actually solve the wage disparity problem and there wouldn't be a need for their perpetual activism anymore? Man, it's really gonna suck whenever we reach Utopia and you guys don't have anything to protest for anymore, isn't it? What in the world will you do with all that time? I guess if it were me, I would be scared of such ideas because it might render my life meaningless... nothing to fight for anymore, no more crusade to join... such a boring life!

Just take a minute and imagine it... All we have to do is elect enough politicians who will simply pass a law! Once we've set the new $100/hr. MW, well... the greedy rich bastard capitalists will just have to fork over the loot man! What choice do they have, right? Guess they'll just have to give up those profits and high-paid CEOs! They'll figure it out, they always do! Anywayz... what does it matter if you're knocking down the big bucks? You'll be rolling with fat stacks! Who cares if it puts some greedy rich old white bastard out of business? Maybe they NEED to be out of business? If they can't afford a decent living wage, they shouldn't be allowed to exist, right? I mean... that IS what FDR said 82 years ago.

Just when you thought he couldn't get any more unhinged.

Wow... I can't believe it corn, I thought for sure you'd be with me on this!

Unhinged? Because I think everyone deserves to make $100/hr.? ...I think it's "unhinged" that you think people should settle for $15. If we're gonna make capitalists pay, we may as well do it right. I'm tired of folks struggling... I'm ready for them to have that "living wage" FDR promised 82 years ago! So tell me... why are you opposed to my idea?

"The $100/hr. Minimum Wage idea I presented isn't popular?"

Anything proposed in bad faith is not 'popular.'

Why do you say it's "in bad faith?" Why would I not want people to make a living wage? Why wouldn't I want to solve the wealth disparity problem once and for all? Why wouldn't I want to end poverty and make life better for millions of working poor? All the things you claim in "good faith" that a $15/hr. MW will do, I maintain a $100/hr. MW will do considerably better. Why are you opposing me? It's kind of insulting that your "good faith" is only worth $15/hr. I can make nearly that much picking up cans on the side of the road. I want people to be making the kind of money that they don't have to worry anymore. Isn't that what this is all about?

Boss is obviously daring folks to be honest and admit there are limits to a minimum wage, why there are limits, and (if they're bold enough) to have an honest conversation about wage equilibrium and how it might be found.

So far, no takers, just deflection. Not terribly surprising. Not because it would be impossible, but because people just don't want to give an inch. That would be too honest. And we SURE as hell can't have THAT.

There are too many people running around right now whose first impulse is to be intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:
I don't want people to make a dictated "living wage". I want them to make an earned wage.

$15.00 per hour for sweeping the floor or flipping the fry basket is not earned.

I don't want people to make a dictated "living wage". I want them to make an earned wage.

$15.00 per hour for sweeping the floor or flipping the fry basket is not earned.

Don't you imagine, back in 1933 when FDR first unveiled the MW, people would have thought $7.50 hr. to sweep floors was unreasonable and unrealistic? And yet today, that's not enough. And if it's finally raised to $15, in a while... that won't be enough either. That's why I say let's just go ahead now and raise it to $100/hr.

I just can't figure out why so many liberal lefties are not supporting me. I'm puzzled and confused by this because I thought they'd be all for my idea. This has left me trying to figure out what the problem is.. why are they so opposed? Why are they not taking me seriously? ....Can't seem to get any answers.

$100 an hour is too high

$10-$15 an hour is more justified

$100 an hour is too high

On what basis are you considering it "too high?" I've never known of anyone who complained their wage was "too high" have you? If it's too much money for some people, they could open a savings account or help a homeless person.

Also, what do you mean by "more justified?" Isn't the justification to provide a decent living wage? Wouldn't $4,000 for a 40 week job be a sufficiently decent wage? If $10-15 is justified, I posit $100 is MORE justified.

Why are you guys thinking so small?

$100 an hour is too high

On what basis are you considering it "too high?" I've never known of anyone who complained their wage was "too high" have you? If it's too much money for some people, they could open a savings account or help a homeless person.

Also, what do you mean by "more justified?" Isn't the justification to provide a decent living wage? Wouldn't $4,000 for a 40 week job be a sufficiently decent wage? If $10-15 is justified, I posit $100 is MORE justified.

On the basis of what minimum wage used to be

Back when I was making $2.10 an hour minimum wage, I could buy seven gallons of gas on an hours work, I could buy a brand new car on six months work, I could pay for a year in college for three months work

You need a wage of $10-$15 an hour to approach that now

$100 an hour is too high

Back when I was making $2.10 an hour minimum wage, I could buy seven gallons of gas on an hours work, I could buy a brand new car on six months work, I could pay for a year in college for three months work

Yeah, but back when you made $2.10 an hour, were you making a decent living wage?

Why spend all this time and energy getting a $15 MW and then having to come back in a few years and whine and moan for another increase? Why not just get it all over with and establish a MW that ensures a decent living wage for all? Why are you opposed to making $100/hr.? Think of how much more gas you could buy? You could buy a new car in a month... or pay for a year of college. Wouldn't you like to make that happen? What's wrong, why are you opposed to my idea, Goldilocks?

$100 an hour is too high

Yeah, but back when you made $2.10 an hour, were you making a decent living wage?

Why spend all this time and energy getting a $15 MW and then having to come back in a few years and whine and moan for another increase? Why not just get it all over with and establish a MW that ensures a decent living wage for all? Why are you opposed to making $100/hr.? Think of how much more gas you could buy? You could buy a new car in a month... or pay for a year of college. Wouldn't you like to make that happen? What's wrong, why are you opposed to my idea, Goldilocks?

I could not live on $2.10 an hour but it provided what Conservatives always claims is the purpose of minimum wage...A Starter Wage

On $2.10 an hour, I could get started in life by paying my college tuition without going into debt. I could buy a car to get to work and pay for gas in that car.

You can't do that on todays $7.25 wage

I could not live on $2.10 an hour but it provided what Conservatives always claims is the purpose of minimum wage...A Starter Wage

On $2.10 an hour, I could get started in life by paying my college tuition without going into debt. I could buy a car to get to work and pay for gas in that car.

Well, no you couldn't pay your college costs... we had to institute the student loan program to help you do that... remember?

And why are you now arguing the Conservative argument about the MW being a "starter wage" and abandoning your argument for a "living wage?"

I am arguing that for 82 years, liberal democrats have promised a minimum wage which provided a decent living... it's time to deliver on your promise and implement my idea of a $100/hr. MW. That solves the problem for everyone and everyone is happy, right?

You're not giving me a good reason why we shouldn't do this. If the principles behind your idea of a $15 MW are sound, then a $100 MW should be too. It's just a number. What are you so afraid of?

Are you concerned that we might actually solve the problem and you won't have anything to complain about anymore?

150 years ago, you could have bought a house and a mule in a few months making $2.10 an hour.

Well, no you couldn't pay your college costs... we had to institute the student loan program to help you do that... remember?

And why are you now arguing the Conservative argument about the MW being a "starter wage" and abandoning your argument for a "living wage?"

I am arguing that for 82 years, liberal democrats have promised a minimum wage which provided a decent living... it's time to deliver on your promise and implement my idea of a $100/hr. MW. That solves the problem for everyone and everyone is happy, right?

You're not giving me a good reason why we shouldn't do this. If the principles behind your idea of a $15 MW are sound, then a $100 MW should be too. It's just a number. What are you so afraid of?

Are you concerned that we might actually solve the problem and you won't have anything to complain about anymore?

If minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, those student loans would not be necessary. I didn't need one and I only made $2.10 an hour
Pay kids $10 to $15 an hour and they would not need all that college debt

I would be content with just a "Starter Wage" right now. $7.25 is not that wage
Give workers a wage they can get started in life with ....pay for college, basic transportation

Your $100 theme on this thread is just nonsense and does nothing to negate the fact that we need a $10-$15 wage just to provide the buying power that was available to workers thirty years ago

If minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, those student loans would not be necessary. I didn't need one and I only made $2.10 an hour
Pay kids $10 to $15 an hour and they would not need all that college debt

I would be content with just a "Starter Wage" right now. $7.25 is not that wage
Give workers a wage they can get started in life with ....pay for college, basic transportation

Your $100 theme on this thread is just nonsense and does nothing to negate the fact that we need a $10-$15 wage just to provide the buying power that was available to workers thirty years ago

Uhm... I can show you how to eat for a week on $7.25. You'd be very surprised what resourceful people can do when they have to.

And hey... I WANT to give workers a wage they can get started in life with...pay for college and basic transportation. You think it's nonsense. You'd rather shackle those same people with a measly $15/hr. which won't buy jack shit once the inflation happens which ultimately results. This is what has been happening the past 82 years with the MW... where have you been?

30 years ago, the technology found in an iPhone would have cost you several million dollars. I'm merely suggesting $100/hr.

And what's the deal with gas-guzzling evil internal combustion machines that destroy the environment and make oil companies richer? Why do you want people to be able to afford more of that? With my $100/hr. plan, you could by an electric car! Hell, you could have a whole fleet of them if you wanted.

Wages are not based upon what you can buy, but on what the work is worth.

Flipping the fry bin is not a career move. If you want to buy more stuff, improve your skills and yourself. Then you will be due increased wages.

Forum List

Back