Thank You Stephen King!

Favorite Stephen King Book?

• Total voters
Hve to go with The Stand. Read it many years ago and loved it. The whole good vs. evil thing. The movie absolutley sucked. Actually, the only movies I really liked that were taken from his books were Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption.

I have to say, I used to be the biggest SK fan. But I've found that as he grew in popularity, his books became less interesting. They're just ok now. lol, probably just me and changing tastes. Did anyone ever read Eyes of the Dragon? He wrote it for his daughter. I remember liking it a lot. Also loved his short stories books. Four past Midnight, Night Shift, etc. I loved It, except for the fact that It turned out to be a gianormous spider! Grrrrrr.

See my post above yours ... ;)

Hve to go with The Stand. Read it many years ago and loved it. The whole good vs. evil thing. The movie absolutley sucked. Actually, the only movies I really liked that were taken from his books were Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption.

I have to say, I used to be the biggest SK fan. But I've found that as he grew in popularity, his books became less interesting. They're just ok now. lol, probably just me and changing tastes. Did anyone ever read Eyes of the Dragon? He wrote it for his daughter. I remember liking it a lot. Also loved his short stories books. Four past Midnight, Night Shift, etc. I loved It, except for the fact that It turned out to be a gianormous spider! Grrrrrr.

See my post above yours ... ;)

LOL didn't quite read all the posts! Yup, agree completely w/The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon. I'll have to re-read EOTD.

I liked Misery,
i really like Annie Wilkes

She could teach the CIA a few tricks on torture

1. The Stand
2. It
3. The Bachman Books (especially, the Long Walk)
4. The Dark Half
5. Insomnia

Hon mention: All of his short story books. In fact, I enjoyed those probably MORE than the novels. If you like King, check out Robert Mccammon.

Stephen King was my favorite author throughout HS. While I have not enjoyed anything since Insomnia and abhor the dark tower series, the above books are good stuff.

"Sometimes, dead is better"

I have a lot of favorites of his, depending on the mood... one of the least known books of his I really enjoyed was "Insomnia"

But he is right... this twilight shit that the youngsters like, even my 14 year old realized it was written like shit and put it down about 1/2way in

LOL!

My 13 yo daughter read a few of those books because all her friends were reading them. After the first two she said, "Mom, these books are awful! Why do people like them so much?"

Randall Flagg: Pleased to meet you, Lloyd. Hope you guessed my name.

Lloyd Henreid: Huh?

Randall Flagg: Oh. Nothing. Just a little classical reference.

Fuck stephen king..he looks like someone kicked his eyes into his sockets about an inch and a half. He better quit writing books before he loses his eyesight forever.

The only "f*ck" that should go with Stephen King's name is "f*ckin' genius."

This man went to hell and back. Shame on you for being so callous.

I'm amazed that after all these he still has the gift. Recently read Duma Key and it was well worth it.

yall have to admit though.. It was kinda fucked up when the Loser's Club had to defeat Pennywise the first time by.. uh.. agnapostating Beverly's young ass in the sewers.. I didn't realize that "we all float down here" really meant that there was a child orgy going on.

Randall Flagg: Pleased to meet you, Lloyd. Hope you guessed my name.

Lloyd Henreid: Huh?

Randall Flagg: Oh. Nothing. Just a little classical reference.

I loved that!

While every other casting of roles from The Stand were outright disasters I have to say.. The guy from Coach who played Tom Cullen was smack zero dead center right on.

M-O-O-N
thats how you spell "shitty, made for TV movie".

yall have to admit though.. It was kinda fucked up when the Loser's Club had to defeat Pennywise the first time by.. uh.. agnapostating Beverly's young ass in the sewers.. I didn't realize that "we all float down here" really meant that there was a child orgy going on.

:rofl:

Stephen King On 'Twilight' Author: 'Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn' - omg! news on Yahoo!

For saying what many of us have said since the beginning!

If it's anyone who knows how to write a horror book or book about vampires/supernatural beings; it's Stephen King.

And this is also quite true:

"People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual."

He further explains, "A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

EDIT: When it comes to the poll, you can only choose one. I would of added at least ten more but not enough room; the man just has too many books to put on one poll list I suppose. :lol: So feel free to vote other and state it here.

I'm going with IT; one of his longest but easily his best when it comes to not only plot but character development, dialogue, and of course the villain. Pennywise The Dancing Clown aka Bob Grey is easily Stephen King's most recognized villain.

I'd have voted for "IT" too except the ending was so lame that he betrayed his characters, AND his readers, too.

I voted for the Shining because it worked better as a serious piece of literature than The STAND, which I ALSO thought was a monumental effort that wasn't flawed like IT.

Salems Lot, the first of his books that I read, was likewise well written and a superb read, but it lacked the depth and breadth, as well as the deep character analysis and development of The Shining.

Christine might have been the most unique of all his manifestations of pure evil.

But for drop-dead creepy scariness, Pennywise the Clown wins editec's goosebump award.

Stephen King is giftedm folks.

I'm not sure his works will go the distance like POE or Hawthorn has, but his works speak to this generation damned well, that for sure.

The Stand was an awesome book. I wish they never made the movie. I mean it was decent but srsly if you read the book then the movie just comes up short (I know that sounds condescending, oh well).

"It" had me sleeping with the lights on ... I was 10 when I read it and scared shitless. Funny how books don't do that anymore.

Anyways, I really liked the Bachman books. Give me Rage or The Long Walk any day ... 2 badass stories, IMO.

No love for The Eyes of the Dragon?

They made TWO versions of THE STAND.

The second one, the one that King oversaw, was more in line with the book.

Best line of that book?

"I was misinformed"
That SO NAILED the true nature of people who do evil, and then try to absolve themselves of their personal responsibility for what they did, doesn't it?

The Stand was an awesome book. I wish they never made the movie. I mean it was decent but srsly if you read the book then the movie just comes up short (I know that sounds condescending, oh well).

"It" had me sleeping with the lights on ... I was 10 when I read it and scared shitless. Funny how books don't do that anymore.

Anyways, I really liked the Bachman books. Give me Rage or The Long Walk any day ... 2 badass stories, IMO.

No love for The Eyes of the Dragon?

They made TWO versions of THE STAND.

The second one, the one that King oversaw, was more in line with the book.

Best line of that book?

"I was misinformed"
That SO NAILED the true nature of people who do evil, and then try to absolve themselves of their personal responsibility for what they did, doesn't it?

Heh .. I didn't know they made two versions. I do remember commercials for the book back in the day for a newer version of it or something.

It's been a good 10 years since I last read the book, I'm afraid I can't comment to that line you quoted alone :confused:

I didn't really dig Eyes of the dragon. But, by the time I had read it I was knee deep in better fantasy-type stories.

Rage.. think about it. Had columbine happened in the 80s instead of the 90s we'd likely have heard how influential it was to those killings rather than Marylin Manson. But yes, the Long Walk was a helluva story.

ill have to look for the second version of a movie for The Stand. I wasn't aware of that at all.

I know they redid The Shining.. but not The Stand.. supposedly Marvel is doing a comic series of The Stand though

For me.. I always found The Stand VERY long winded for King... good plot, but even the unabridged version was a chore to get through

Actually, IT wasn't a gianormous spider. That form was the closest thing the human mind could to seeing the real form of Pennywise without going insane. In reality, Pennywise is an alien being from either another planet or dimension. There is also the whole aspect with The Turtle which is mentioned in some of his other books.

Also, anyone else remember the "Pennywise lives" from Dreamcatcher?

I'm not sure what to think if he ever made a sequel to IT.

Forum List

Back