Audio Books and E Books.

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I prefer a physical book but it's an expensive habit.

When I read a book I write in the margins and in the larger blank page spaces and I'll often use index cards that I'll leave in the book when I'm done.

At least most e-readers have a highlight function or allow you to make notes but I always preferred writing to typing. I think writing results in better retention.

I have not been a big fan of audiobooks because I tend not to just sit and listen and I'll start doing something and miss large portions of the playback even if I'm wearing earphones.

But I started using those little Field Notes memo books when I listen to an audiobook and use it to take notes so I am actively listening. I'll write the title of the book on the cover and then have a reference to use later.

I just started this so I'll see how it goes but it is definitely making me listen far more actively. I might adopt the same note book technique to my digital books as well.

Are any of you note takers?

When I read a book I write in the margins and in the larger blank page spaces and I'll often use index cards that I'll leave in the book when I'm done.

At least most e-readers have a highlight function or allow you to make notes but I always preferred writing to typing. I think writing results in better retention.

I have not been a big fan of audiobooks because I tend not to just sit and listen and I'll start doing something and miss large portions of the playback even if I'm wearing earphones.

But I started using those little Field Notes memo books when I listen to an audiobook and use it to take notes so I am actively listening. I'll write the title of the book on the cover and then have a reference to use later.

I just started this so I'll see how it goes but it is definitely making me listen far more actively. I might adopt the same note book technique to my digital books as well.

I constantly listen to audiobooks. The key to a good audiobook besides a good author; is a good narrator. Pair those together, and it's like watching a movie in your mind. Another plus to going with the audiobook is it frees you up to do other things while listening.

I constantly listen to audiobooks. The key to a good audiobook besides a good author; is a good narrator. Pair those together, and it's like watching a movie in your mind. Another plus to going with the audiobook is it frees you up to do other things while listening.

Yeah the problem is when I start doing other things I tend to miss parts of the narration.

I held on to physical books for quite awhile, but eventually gave in to the ultra convenience and significant tech advantages of an e-reader.
It is light, the screen automatically adjust brightness to the light where you are - and when you are reading in the dark - it even changes to a color that removes the color blue, and turns an amber color that is scientifically proven to promote melatonin.
It contains a dictionary, so when you run across a word you don't know... simply click on that word and it provides a definition. If the author included them, it contains authors notes and sourcing.

The only thing missing is that familiar pleasant smell of a new book

I use Audible when ever possible because I'm auditory and I get bad headaches when I read books. Takes me forever. I also travel a lot so I listen while I'm driving. Next up is 1491 by Charles Mann.

I use Audible when ever possible because I'm auditory and I get bad headaches when I read books. Takes me forever. I also travel a lot so I listen while I'm driving. Next up is 1491 by Charles Mann.
I tried it only once and doesn't work for me at all.
I have ADD, and by that I mean I actually have ADD. Not among the millions that are treated for it, but don't have it.
Anyway... my mind will simply not stay still long enough to listen to someone speaking. If the book is interesting and well written, it will quiet the mind. If not, I will merely go through the act of reading, but not retaining any of it. Which is why I only finish reading about half the books I start, if I can't concentrate, then I give it up and try another book.
If the story is well written and interesting I can easily immerse.

I can’t stand e-books. They are lifeless to me. Most all the books I get are from the thrift store so it’s nice to sit and think who had the book before me, how it impacted them, and read any notes or comments they left in the margins. The e books I have read it was a struggle to complete, it feels like one long boring PowerPoint presentation. I I enjoy audio books when I am driving instead of listening to the same old songs played on the radio. To each their own

Last edited:
I can’t stand e-books. They are lifeless to me. Most all the books I get are from the thrift store so it’s nice to sit and think who had the book before me, how it impacted them, and read any notes or comments they left in the margins. The e books I have read it was a struggle to complete, it feels like one long boring PowerPoint presentation. I I enjoy audio books when I am driving instead of listening to the same old songs played on the radio. To each their own
I don't have a good used book store around me unfortunately

We have a few most are going out of business and we have lots of thrift stores with a decent selection. The smells of the stores are part of the experience along with hunting in the bins for a good find. I’m old school I prefer brick and mortar to online.

We use to have 4 used bookstores here, now - none.
They can't survive, there are not enough people buying physical books anymore, who also sell them to used book stores.
I understand the sentiment some folks have to wanting printed books, but they also need to understand the reasons why those who now prefer e books.
It is a preference.
At least we are all still reading books.

The good thing about a physical copy is that it is something that the writer can sign should they still be here, and you get to meet them. My next book to read will be released on February 6th and its the autobiography of the lead singer of country band Sawyer Brown. :) :) :)

God bless you and each member always!!!

Holly

Print books are cheaper than other choices these days. I tried audio stuff and it ends up like a nagging voice in your ear.

Forum List

Back