How Old is Too Old to Drive?

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Okay, this afternoon I was rear ended by an 85 year old woman. I was stopped at a stop light, and I saw her coming, but she never stopped. Luckily, we were on a side street and she wasn't driving very fast, so there was no apparent damage to either vehicle. I did take a good jolt however, and my back hurt a bit, so I called the police. At that point, we both moved our vehicles to the church parking lot, so we wouldn't be blocking traffic as we waited for the police to show up. Of course, it took them 25 minutes, but that's another story.

The officer asked if I wanted to have him write out a ticket for her. I said there was no need. We exchanged information in case my back is hurting tomorrow. If so, I'll contact her insurance company.

Anyway, while all this was going on, my girlfriend shows up. She sees the woman and tells me the woman probably shouldn't be driving anymore, that she is too old. To me, the woman seemed in control of all her faculties, and I said I thought the woman just must have been distracted; it could happen to anyone.

Well, when we were leaving, this 85 year old woman pulled out to the parking lot and hit another car. So, how old is too old to drive?

Okay, this afternoon I was rear ended by an 85 year old woman. I was stopped at a stop light, and I saw her coming, but she never stopped. Luckily, we were on a side street and she wasn't driving very fast, so there was no apparent damage to either vehicle. I did take a good jolt however, and my back hurt a bit, so I called the police. At that point, we both moved our vehicles to the church parking lot, so we wouldn't be blocking traffic as we waited for the police to show up. Of course, it took them 25 minutes, but that's another story.

The officer asked if I wanted to have him write out a ticket for her. I said there was no need. We exchanged information in case my back is hurting tomorrow. If so, I'll contact her insurance company.

Anyway, while all this was going on, my girlfriend shows up. She sees the woman and tells me the woman probably shouldn't be driving anymore, that she is too old. To me, the woman seemed in control of all her faculties, and I said I thought the woman just must have been distracted; it could happen to anyone.

Well, when we were leaving, this 85 year old woman pulled out to the parking lot and hit another car. So, how old is too old to drive?

:lol: the older I get the higher I think the age limit should be.

1. Ask the grey panthers.

2. No age is too high because seniors vote.

i think when people hit a certain age, they should be re-tested annually. their reflexes change with age. their vision changes with age. their depth perception and mental accuity change with age.

I know I will HATE that someday. But I think it's the right thing to do.

i think when people hit a certain age, they should be re-tested annually. their reflexes change with age. their vision changes with age. their depth perception and mental accuity change with age.

Old People Hater (you been talking to Amanda? ) :lol:

I agree but I don't care if they take a written test, just a driving test but before that they should have to walk 20 feet in 1 minute or less. If they can't even pass the walking test they should not drive.

Last edited:

Hey, why bring me into this? I wasn't even going to post in this thread, I was just going to sit back and watch the agist comments flow in unopposed because no one old enough to be offended knows how to use that series of tubes to get here and read this. :tongue:

Hey, why bring me into this? I wasn't even going to post in this thread, I was just going to sit back and watch the agist comments flow in unopposed because no one old enough to be offended knows how to use that series of tubes to get here and read this. :tongue:

from the mouths of babes-------:lol:

lol...nah. I just think at some point, people's reflexes, etc. make them unsafe behind the wheel.

I agree but I don't care if they take a written test, just a driving test but before that they should have to walk 20 feet in 1 minute or less. If they can't even pass the walking test they should not drive.

I don't think they should have to do a written test either.

As for walking...that's less important. There are plenty of people who can't walk who drive a car.

Every accident I got into was with an elderly person. One could have been avoided but I didn't think they would cross three lanes of traffic and sideswipe my car. I think that everyone should be retested in x amount of years. Some younger drivers scare the daylights out of me also. You can see people all around you doing dumb stuff because they are talking on their phones.

It should be based on mental acuity. A simple test to measure proneness to distractions would work.

The number of old people suddenly driving into buildings and the like can be explained by that phenomenon: an old (or even not so old) person stops at a parking spot...they begin to plan their next task (chore) by gathering all their stuff together....meanwhile the car's engine is still running but so silently that it goes unnoticed...thus that fact is forgotten...and the next action is to get out of the car...the door is opened and the passenger begins to disembark....releasing the brake causes the car to move forward....the distracted (older?) driver panics and stomps the brake but instead hits the gas pedal....The result is a common one...the driver crashes into a building or a group of people, etc. Without the last element the event would go unnoticed. The problem results from a distraction and then a reliance on automatic responses which fail in these complicated circumstances.

That's my theory.

Last edited:

I agree with Jillian. Perhaps start the testing at 65.

I agree with Jillian. Perhaps start the testing at 65.

Why wait? Start when they turn 40... or 35. Old enough to be president, old enough to be a menace on the road. :tongue:

lol...nah. I just think at some point, people's reflexes, etc. make them unsafe behind the wheel.

I don't think they should have to do a written test either.

As for walking...that's less important. There are plenty of people who can't walk who drive a car.

I agree and don't. Truth is many that were 'very good drivers', recognize limitations as their bodies and reflexes change. My dad seemed to realize this and adjusted over time. He and my mom moved down to FL in '95, taking only their china and some important item, towed with a U-haul trailer. They drove strait through from Chicago to Vero Beach, stopping for coffee and meals.

My dad must not have felt comfortable after doing that, as their return trip a few months later, took two overnights, driving only during the day. I noticed around here he'd slowed down to the speed limit, no 5-7 mph over. He was also leaving more stopping space. They drove back and made one more trip the same way later that year. Truth is, my mom was a horrible passenger because of the strokes she'd had. That he never sped up or lost his temper enough to get pulled over, said a world about his driving ability. Both my brother and I got stopped over that route with her as a passenger. ;)

After they moved back here, my dad would drive to the grocery or to a nearby restaurant or doctor, but if someone else would drive, he was happy. When my mom went into a nursing home, he saw her mostly twice a day, once in the morning from about 10 am-lunch. Then again from around 3-4. If my kids or myself were going after school, he'd ride with us, but not drive-didn't want to be in the dark.

In the last month of his life, he didn't drive at all, though he kept the insurance up and made my son get the oil changed.

Was he a good driver? I'd have to say, yes. He knew his limitations, adjusted speed, stopping distance, and conditions under which he'd drive.

Now someone who's an erratic driver in their 30's-40's, tailgating, changing speeds and lanes frequently, etc., will probably be a menace in their later years.

$chart_deaths_per_billion_km_travelled_by_age.jpg

Forum List

Back