Thank You, President Obama!

When I posted this thread yesterday, I planned to give a rep to whoever countered with a knowledge of the meaning of such polls...

No one did, so here is the second part:
The greatest conservative lead was 43% conservatives, to 17% liberal. This was in1992- just before President Clinton won....

BTW, the highest percentage of self proclaimed conservates upon leaving voting?
McCain-Obama.

The point? Winning the 'moderate' vote wins elections.

I don't put a lot of stock into polls generally speaking, but this one tickled my fancy since I've been watching it for a while.

I find it interesting that even among the registered parties you still have small contingents that believe themselves the opposite.

In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

But really... I think that we conservatives can finally thank Obama for waking up the mushy moderate middle and force them to pay attention to what's being done in their nation and clarify what they are more clearly.

Yup.

And we have Bush II to thank for forcing the reluctant indpendents to vote Democratic last time round, too.

Nothing like a truly disasterous POTUS to create a seachange in Congress and the Whitehouse, is there?

Meanwhile the masters don't really care as they OWN both parties.

The largest PARTY in the USA is the NON ALIGNED party.

But if you want to believe that all those indies are Republican tools, be my guest,

Versus the 77% that says they are Conservative or Moderate?

Yeah, I can see.... ;)

Obama won self identified moderates by 2 to 1 in 2008. Kerry won moderates by 9 points in 2004 while losing overall.

People who self identify as moderates are generally more left of center than right of center.
And why is it that Obama won so many moderates? 2 reasons.

1. White racial guilt. They were worried about being called racist for not voting for the black man.

2. GOP big government spending had outraged even the moderates and they voted for hoaxy changy.

Still spouting rightwing pablum?

If Obama won because of "white racial guilt" how is it that Democrats won overwhelmingly in the House, Senate and Governorships?

Moderates voted for change because of government spending? Why is it that the tea party did not appear while the GOP was calling the shots? Really seems they were ambivalent as long as Republicans were spending the money

The Republicans lost because they were given full power and fucked up big time. They lost in 2006 because of the war and they lost in 2008 because of the economy

That is true. But, to see such a dramatic rise in those who self identify as conservative... it's an interesting trend. But yes, to some of these people, being conservative is only a half an inch to the right of Lenin as compared to aligning with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

It's not really that dramatic of a rise.

True, and many reactionaries pretend to be Republican but eschew conservative policies.

When I posted this thread yesterday, I planned to give a rep to whoever countered with a knowledge of the meaning of such polls...

The greatest conservative lead was 43% conservatives, to 17% liberal. This was in1992- just before President Clinton won....

McCain-Obama.

Gosh darn, you are brillant! (sigh)

McCain-Obama.

I thought that is what we have been saying....did you miss it?

McCain-Obama.

I thought that is what we have been saying....did you miss it?

I knew you were going to claim victory!

I carefully perused your response...and you came ever so close... almost as close as Gore in Florida!

RW, does she understand she committed the equivalent of hari kiri with this OP?

People lie. Many who say they are conservative are not.
They are just Republicans.

While your observation may be correct, if you look at the latest poll, when moderates were asked which view they would choose i.e. conservative vs. liberal, if they had to, far more chose conservative than liberal.

And, of course, this is consistent with the 62% who say the country is going in the wrong direction.

I found this interesting as I have always thought that those who answer 'moderate,' I believe, are really not interested in politics and rarely pay attention as they have real lives and real situations to deal with...until a particulare election peaks their interest.

I bet we have very few 'moderates' on the USMB...and if anyone claims that title, those of us who have seen their posts might disagree.

RW, does she understand she committed the equivalent of hari kiri with this OP?

Jakey, looking at your posts in this thread, and in some others, do you realize that you come across as a petulant little whiner...sniping away but contributing little or no substance.

Calm down, Jakey, and, before you post, see if you actually have anything to say.

And if you want to fight, go for it: get some serious punches in; get tough, not peevish!

Just tryin' to be helpful.

PoliticalChic, you make arguments out of a fantasy reality that you have created. You don't have an ethical right to do that then create your own set of definitions. You are sadly pathetic when you do this. Your bias unbalances your reason and makes your arguments otherworldly.

Moderates will decide the elections as they always do. The GOP has done nothing to offer a constructive alternative to the Dem administration and Dem Congress. Saying "no" will not cut it. Until the GOP does that, it will stay in the minority.

PoliticalChic, you make arguments out of a fantasy reality that you have created. You don't have an ethical right to do that then create your own set of definitions. You are sadly pathetic when you do this. Your bias unbalances your reason and makes your arguments otherworldly.

Moderates will decide the elections as they always do. The GOP has done nothing to offer a constructive alternative to the Dem administration and Dem Congress. Saying "no" will not cut it. Until the GOP does that, it will stay in the minority.

Better.

Much better.

Just incorrect.
"you make arguments out of a fantasy reality that you have created."
" ...create your own set of definitions. "

Did you notice that I use links and documentation with my OP's?

"bias unbalances your reason"
Actually, I use reason, expericence and erudition...

Thanks for the increased efforts!

Just wondering: what will it do to your worldview, i.e. " Until the GOP does that, it will stay in the minority." if the GOP makes exceptional gains in 2012? Will that mean that you have been wrong all along?

But your links do not document reality. That is what you tried to with the Joseph McCarthy piece some time ago and got blown out of the water. Simple fact. And that bias distorts how you use evidence. Your bias blinds you.

Obama won self identified moderates by 2 to 1 in 2008. Kerry won moderates by 9 points in 2004 while losing overall.

People who self identify as moderates are generally more left of center than right of center.

1. White racial guilt. They were worried about being called racist for not voting for the black man.

2. GOP big government spending had outraged even the moderates and they voted for hoaxy changy.

If Obama won because of "white racial guilt" how is it that Democrats won overwhelmingly in the House, Senate and Governorships?

Moderates voted for change because of government spending? Why is it that the tea party did not appear while the GOP was calling the shots? Really seems they were ambivalent as long as Republicans were spending the money

The Republicans lost because they were given full power and fucked up big time. They lost in 2006 because of the war and they lost in 2008 because of the economy
Right wing pablum.... riiiiiight. You don't own an intellectual mirror do you?

obviously you ignored point 2. In congress THAT was more the issue.

Why is it that the tea party did not appear while the GOP was calling the shots?

Yes yes, it's just a astroturfed shallow political action group you're so use to on the left with your full time paid protesters. That's all it is. And you just sip another cup of warm milk and comfort yourself.

They lost in 2006 because of the war

Wrong.

they lost in 2008 because of the economy

Right. The same reason the incompetent lib congress is going to be swept out either. The only thing Carville will be remembered for is this one statement: "It's the economy, Stupid."

Polk said:

We are at the same level of conservatism declarations as in 1992. Just something to consider.

Yes yes, it's just a astroturfed shallow political action group you're so use to on the left with your full time paid protesters. That's all it is. And you just sip another cup of warm milk and comfort yourself.

Wrong.

they lost in 2008 because of the economy

Right. The same reason the incompetent lib congress is going to be swept out either. The only thing Carville will be remembered for is this one statement: "It's the economy, Stupid."

Polk said:

We are at the same level of conservatism declarations as in 1992. Just something to consider.

Damn... I so wanted to refute

But your answers are so weak, there is nothing worth responding to

Wrong.

Polk said:

Damn... I so wanted to refute

But your answers are so weak, there is nothing worth responding to

Translation? "I've been outgunned." :lol:

Forum List

Back