Thank you once again James Webb!

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
A miraculously beautiful screenshot of the cosmos!

Screenshot_2023-08-22-12-54-14-804.jpg

A miraculously beautiful screenshot of the cosmos!

PSHAW! That is nothing! Here is a reprocess of a higher resolution image released by NASA that I just did then cropped and converted to JPEG for display here. Much higher resolution images are available, but the file size is much too large for the server here! Enjoy. I let the image clip in one area in order to maximize the contrast elsewhere. Hopefully the USMB server will do justice to the image.

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 2.00.53 PM.jpg

In about 6 billion years, our Sun will end its life very much as this, contracting and throwing off shells of gas.

PSHAW! That is nothing! Here is a reprocess of a higher resolution image released by NASA that I just did then cropped and converted to JPEG for display here. Much higher resolution images are available, but the file size is much too large for the server here! Enjoy. I let the image clip in one area in order to maximize the contrast elsewhere. Hopefully the USMB server will do justice to the image.

View attachment 818041

In about 6 billion years, our Sun will end its life very much as this, contracting and throwing off shells of gas.
Somewhere in the middle of that colorful ring is a super dense microdot.

If you right click and View Image, you will probably get a bit better view of the photo.

Yes, at the center of that mass is a small white dwarf, a stellar core remnant left over with about the mass of the Sun but no larger than about the size of the Earth comprised of degenerate matter of collapsed electrons and nuclei, not to be confused with a neutron star (which is a final stage of degeneration short of a black hole singularity) that will eventually cool over many many billions of years and eventually crystallize into an Earth sized diamond called a black dwarf.

Since you seemed to appreciate it, here is another reprocess I just did. I took the full resolution 25 megapixel image, cropped and resized it to a small section for display here (just 1 MP), then reprocessed it for better effect much as I did the first image. I count 4-5 certain galaxies in the image, the most obvious one being an abnormal spiral seen along the bottom edge about 5 o'clock. Enjoy. Again, it might display better if you right click View Image rather than the view shown attached to my post.

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 2.58.20 PM.jpg

Forum List

Back