Texas to execute Mexican killer today

It's an interesting states rights issue as well as a legal one. Humberto Garcia has been on Texas death row since 1994 when he was convicted of raping and killing a woman. He is a Mexican national and the president and the Secretary 'O State are citing a UN Treaty in order to try to spare his life. Governor Perry is determined to let the execution go through. Will president Barry call out the Troops to save this murderer's life and cause another Alamo standoff? The Feds don't have a case. The Supreme Court already ruled in a similar case in 2008 that states are not obligated to comply with UN treaties.
Medellín v. Texas, 552 U.S. 491 (2008) is a United States Supreme Court decision which held that while an international treaty may constitute an international commitment, it is not binding domestic law unless Congress has enacted statutes implementing it or unless the treaty itself is "self-executing"; that decisions of the International Court of Justice are not binding domestic law; and that, absent an act of Congress or Constitutional authority, the President of the United States lacks the power to enforce international treaties or decisions of the International Court of Justice.
Medellín v. Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know the facts of the case, but the OP clearly referenced a UN Treaty, not a US Treaty. Could that be the difference?

Yes there is a difference and in this instance that difference applies. The Federal and State constitutions can not be trumped by UN agreement according to the precedent of the case from 2008 that was brought up earlier.

I hope you are feeling the same way when an American traveling abroad is railroaded in some foreign backwater and they site this very case.

Railroaded? You're not at all familiar with the facts of this case are you?

Yes there is a difference and in this instance that difference applies. The Federal and State constitutions can not be trumped by UN agreement according to the precedent of the case from 2008 that was brought up earlier.

I hope you are feeling the same way when an American traveling abroad is railroaded in some foreign backwater and they site this very case.

So, this guy was 'railroaded'?

Nope.

You're not familiar with foreign backwaters..

Right J, my mom is from Brasil and I lived there when it was a military dictatorship.

So you don't care that a country like Brazil, which by the way, does engage in reciprocity as I found out when I got a visa to Brazil, does the same thing to an American?

Well okay..I like the cut of your jib. :clap2:

Than what is this UN treaty people are referencing to try and spare him?

No one is trying to "spare" him. They are just trying to follow procedure.

Selective reasoning fuzz face? They are trying to spare his life and the alleged "procedure" was struck down three years ago. The depravity of the murder justifies execution in Texas. The only procedure they need to follow is strapping him on the gurney and administering the lethal injection.

Being unfamiliar with the case, when I read the thread title the thought crossed my mind for one fleeting moment that it might be about a Texan on death row for killing a Mexican. But then I remembered that isn't illegal in Texas. :D

Being unfamiliar with the case, when I read the thread title the thought crossed my mind for one fleeting moment that it might be about a Texan on death row for killing a Mexican. But then I remembered that isn't illegal in Texas. :D

Texas executes people at the drop of a 10 gallon hat. :lol:

Texas executes people at the drop of a 10 gallon hat. :lol:

And if they're retarded, before the hat even hits the ground. :thup:

I don't the word "depraved" resonates with the left anymore. The left is busy trying to put themselves in the shoes of depraved people and criminals that they view as victims. Alfred E. Newman thinks a resident of Texas won't be prosecuted for killing a Mexican? How insulting. Did you read the details of the murder?

The Constitution is supreme. States are obligated to follow the treaties entered into by the Federal government.

It's surprising you don't know that. (Well not really)

That's not what the SCOTUS said.

It's an interesting states rights issue as well as a legal one. Humberto Garcia has been on Texas death row since 1994 when he was convicted of raping and killing a woman. He is a Mexican national and the president and the Secretary 'O State are citing a UN Treaty in order to try to spare his life. Governor Perry is determined to let the execution go through. Will president Barry call out the Troops to save this murderer's life and cause another Alamo standoff? The Feds don't have a case. The Supreme Court already ruled in a similar case in 2008 that states are not obligated to comply with UN treaties.

Second time around. Bush tried to interfere in '08. Same will happen with Obama.

Right J, my mom is from Brasil and I lived there when it was a military dictatorship.

So you don't care that a country like Brazil, which by the way, does engage in reciprocity as I found out when I got a visa to Brazil, does the same thing to an American?

Well okay..I like the cut of your jib. :clap2:

Visitors to foreign countries should do they best not to rape and murder young women in the host nation; it's just common fucking courtesy if you ask me

It is odd, If this was an issue in 2008 as well, and congress could ahve done something about this then, why didn't they ? Its not like it just came up.

Will Obama order the National Guard to stop the execution?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back