Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal - What are they afraid of?

At first I agreed with you.. but then I thought about it. What cops wants to get elbowed by some civilian when he is trying to arrest a criminal?

Elbows arent 25 feet long
while I agree 25 feet is a bit far, you never know what could happen.
What if a cop was wrestling some dumbfuck and some little limp wrist was recording it, got hit in the violence, and sued the fuck out of the city?

There is no excuse you can use to make recording public servants illegal that makes sense.
see supra.

It is called interference with a police action and it normally carries a sentence of 1 to 5 years in prison.
Interference with governmental administration, which is what interfering with police operations is called, is against the law. Openly recording public servants in the performance of their duties is not against the law, provided the action of recording does not interfere with or hinder that performance. Surreptitious recording could be a violation -- depending on motive and circumstances.

It is not up to a cop to arbitrarily decide what interference is. That depends entirely on physical and/or attending circumstances.

Cops should all wear body cams.

And civilian should not record them or get near in a police action -- that is already illegal.
Why should citizens not record public servants in performance of their duties?

And specifically what to you mean by, "get near?" How near is "near" and who and what should determine that?

I'm surprised no one else has brought this up (or maybe I am underestimating ranges) but could this have as much to do with the audio portion of potential recordings as the video? 25 feet may not be an obstacle for video of an incident, but perhaps it would impede onlookers from easily recording audio of events. Just a guess, I have no idea how sensitive the microphones on your average cell phone are. :dunno:

I haven't read the bill so my comments are subject to change, but as others have said, what does recording really have to do with anything? If people need to be 25 feet away to prevent interference in police activity, it doesn't matter if they are recording the scene or not. If this bill does specify people recording a scene, how is it more of an interference to stand holding a phone than to stand not holding a phone? Unless the police plan to do something they don't want on record, how does the phone hinder the performance of their duties?

Hey genius, stay out of the cops way and let them do their job!!!!!

And that has what to do with the possible difficulty of audio recordings at these distances? Or it has what to do with the question of how a person holding a cell phone is hindering officers more than a person who is not?

Why would you want to? Is social media that important in your world?

So let me tell you what will happen.

The bad guy fires his gun and hits you, then you sue the police for not keeping you away.

And that happens because I film with a cell phone? The guy standing there with no cell phone won't get shot at?

Why does it matter why I or anyone else wants to film the police? We're not talking about something happening on private property, we're talking about incidents in public. How does holding a cell phone interfere with the police where not holding the phone doesn't?
It is called interference with a police action and it normally carries a sentence of 1 to 5 years in prison.

Again I will ask : How is standing and holding up a cell phone interference where standing and not holding up a cell phone isn't?

That's the "class is everything" way of looking at it. The reality is police officers who can't do the job properly have to go. Let them keep a government job, just not a law enforcement one.
If you don't believe class is everything when it comes to such critical entities as the civilian police I admire your innate idealism. Unfortunately, when it comes to the social bottom line one is what one has and who one knows. So if you know someone who can get the mayor (or the President) on the phone and complain about an aggressive cop, you will quickly see who is in charge in America.

Did you happen to watch the footage of the Occupy protest on Wall Street during the latter months of 2011? Did you see the army of cops protecting the financial nobility who stood arrogantly drinking wine on their office balconies, diligently protected from the Mob below. Those cops, who like to think of themselves as middle-class citizens, knew very well the reason behind the Occupy protest and the right and wrong of the entire situation. Yet they were prepared to do whatever it took, up to and including shooting to kill if necessary, to protect those gloating Wall Street elites from the People they've been stealing from for decades. Such loyalty to the ruling class comes from knowing their own misconducts, up to and including the occasional flagrant brutalities, will go unpunished because their victims will be paid off ("settled.")

The primary duty of American civilian police is to protect and serve -- the rich.

Nothing is as black and white as you may think it is. Yes, there are elites in this country, but your blanket assumptions about them are just as bad as your perceived assumptions on their part.

And the Occupy protest was a hot mess of smarmy groupthink and "gimmie gimmie gimme" demands that was rightfully scorned by most people, non-elites included.

This will likely be challenged at some point. Probably 15 feet would be more than enough, I do agree they need something. You can go on youtube and people are many times 2-3 feet away and laughing. Dangerous for the cops and the civilians both being arrested and taping. Sometimes when getting arrested these people's friends try to confront and interfere with the police.

0 ft is too close, 25 ft is too far, as with Calculus you find the limit. That is what the courts will do, try to figure out a proper distance. I would guess 15ft +.

What if you are standing on a balcony a block away and send your drone in to capture the details up close? :lol:

Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

A bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by state Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he’s seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

“My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement,” Villalba tweeted.

Yeah you cant have public servants being watched by the public they serve. Stand back a ways....like all the way out of zoom capabilities

Make it 5 feet, and that would be considered reasonable. 25 feet is crazy.

Cops will carry rulers on their belts now. :laugh:

A bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by state Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he’s seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

“My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement,” Villalba tweeted.

Yeah you cant have public servants being watched by the public they serve. Stand back a ways....like all the way out of zoom capabilities

Yes, I know it is difficult to make the determination, but 5 feet is right up in the action, so basically if within the cops grasp when he is trying to do something official, the person is too close.

The law would make it illegal for you or a passenger to record a simple traffic stop.

Why would you want to record a traffic stop? To show people you were stupid and got caught being stupid? That's stupid.

In my 42 years of driving I've been stopped a total of twice, both times for speeding (which I was) and I'd rather not have a video record of either.

Why would you want to drive, when you can fly like Peter Pan? :lol:

Yes, I know it is difficult to make the determination, but 5 feet is right up in the action, so basically if within the cops grasp when he is trying to do something official, the person is too close.
There are endless videos on youtube of police acting inappropriately when they make traffic stops. In fact, police shootings with cell camera's have been captured by passengers.

I'm surprised no one else has brought this up (or maybe I am underestimating ranges) but could this have as much to do with the audio portion of potential recordings as the video? 25 feet may not be an obstacle for video of an incident, but perhaps it would impede onlookers from easily recording audio of events. Just a guess, I have no idea how sensitive the microphones on your average cell phone are. :dunno:

I haven't read the bill so my comments are subject to change, but as others have said, what does recording really have to do with anything? If people need to be 25 feet away to prevent interference in police activity, it doesn't matter if they are recording the scene or not. If this bill does specify people recording a scene, how is it more of an interference to stand holding a phone than to stand not holding a phone? Unless the police plan to do something they don't want on record, how does the phone hinder the performance of their duties?

And that has what to do with the possible difficulty of audio recordings at these distances? Or it has what to do with the question of how a person holding a cell phone is hindering officers more than a person who is not?

The bad guy fires his gun and hits you, then you sue the police for not keeping you away.

And that happens because I film with a cell phone? The guy standing there with no cell phone won't get shot at?

Why does it matter why I or anyone else wants to film the police? We're not talking about something happening on private property, we're talking about incidents in public. How does holding a cell phone interfere with the police where not holding the phone doesn't?

Why would you feel the need to make a video record?

This will likely be challenged at some point. Probably 15 feet would be more than enough, I do agree they need something. You can go on youtube and people are many times 2-3 feet away and laughing. Dangerous for the cops and the civilians both being arrested and taping. Sometimes when getting arrested these people's friends try to confront and interfere with the police.

0 ft is too close, 25 ft is too far, as with Calculus you find the limit. That is what the courts will do, try to figure out a proper distance. I would guess 15ft +.

If it gives you a Woodie to video another persons grief, buy a cell phone with a better mic.

There are endless videos on youtube of police acting inappropriately when they make traffic stops. In fact, police shootings with cell camera's have been captured by passengers.

When you do additional research you find that the person that got shot (or killed) had multiple warrants and was reaching for a loaded firearm. IE; the cop shot a fleeing felon.....Job well done.

When you do additional research you find that the person that got shot (or killed) had multiple warrants and was reaching for a loaded firearm. IE; the cop shot a fleeing felon.....Job well done.

That does happen. What about the behavioral therapist that was shot? I've heard nothing about warrants or reaching for a weapon in his case.

Why would you feel the need to make a video record?

That's unimportant. In public places there is no valid reason I can't record all I want to. I can walk around recording all day should I so desire.

If you really need a reason, however, how about safety? A feeling of civic duty? Gathering evidence for any subsequent trial that might occur?

You still have not answered my question. How does a bystander holding a cell phone interfere with the police more than a bystander not holding a cell phone?

The frightening thing is you really believe this shit!

Good point.

Forum List

Back