Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal - What are they afraid of?

Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

A bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by state Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he’s seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

“My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement,” Villalba tweeted.

Yeah you cant have public servants being watched by the public they serve. Stand back a ways....like all the way out of zoom capabilities

Make it 5 feet, and that would be considered reasonable. 25 feet is crazy.
Split the difference and make it 15 feet. I find the whole thing a bit silly as I don't know of any up to date phone that does not have a zoom option when in video mode.

The zoom option isnt the issue. Its that cops want to make it illegal to film their bullshit. Once they pass this guess what?

Where will 25 feet be? :badgrin: Answer: Wherever the cop says it is. Go to Jail

A bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by state Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he’s seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

“My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement,” Villalba tweeted.

Yeah you cant have public servants being watched by the public they serve. Stand back a ways....like all the way out of zoom capabilities

I believe that Las Vegas metro will stop you from filming their activities if they notice you filming them.

Split the difference and make it 15 feet. I find the whole thing a bit silly as I don't know of any up to date phone that does not have a zoom option when in video mode.

The zoom option isnt the issue. Its that cops want to make it illegal to film their bullshit. Once they pass this guess what?

Where will 25 feet be? :badgrin: Answer: Wherever the cop says it is. Go to Jail
I'm guessing 25 feet would be starting at the scene of crime and going out from there and generally speaking you don't go to jail for a misdemeanor which is what this would be.

He was recording me too close!

Wheres the phone?

Broken in the scuffle sir

*Cop and Captain laugh*

That would be viable if they would get fired for doing unconstitutional arrests, but all they usually get is a slap on the wrist, and they go back to their jobs.
Don't ignore your access to the civil court. If you are falsely arrested or otherwise unlawfully injured by police there are lawyers who specialize in representing such complaints and in most examples will do so on contingency, meaning you pay nothing if they fail but they get half of any award they win for you.

It is important to understand that "injury" does not necessarily mean physical harm. It could mean emotional pain, humiliation or unnecessary discomfort -- which can occur in extreme degrees.

In New York City, alone, thousands of complaints are made against police officers in any given year. Those which have little or no merit are dismissed without a first hearing but the majority are settled for a nominal sum, usually a thousand or two, because paying that out that is cheaper in the long run than bringing them to trial. Those with substantial merit will be negotiated for increasing settlement offers, which the lawyers usually know when it's time to accept. In extreme cases the settlements can be as high as a million or more.

While I can't speak for the present, throughout the seventies and eighties the City paid out over $350,000,000 each year in damage awards in police misconduct lawsuits, the vast majority of which were settlements. Very few run through full trial process and are jury awards -- and these usually are the big numbers (millions).

So if you ever are mistreated by cops, and you are sure you have a valid complaint, look for a good contingency lawyer and let him/her handle everything. You could walk away with anything from a few hundred dollars pocket money to a new car, a house, or if the damage is significant, you could be made relatively rich. Rodney King received about five million dollars and I am personally aware of several individuals in New York City who received massive settlements or won jury awards of a million or more.

Last edited:

I'm guessing 25 feet would be starting at the scene of crime and going out from there and generally speaking you don't go to jail for a misdemeanor which is what this would be.

Live in some county's of South carolina, spending the night in jail for anything, till you see the magistrates in the mourning.

Live in some county's of South carolina, spending the night in jail for anything, till you see the magistrates in the mourning.
That's why I said generally speaking not every place will be the same.

At first I agreed with you.. but then I thought about it. What cops wants to get elbowed by some civilian when he is trying to arrest a criminal?

Elbows arent 25 feet long
while I agree 25 feet is a bit far, you never know what could happen.
What if a cop was wrestling some dumbfuck and some little limp wrist was recording it, got hit in the violence, and sued the fuck out of the city?
The flaw in that bill is it only illegal to record cops within 25 feet but if you aren't recording the cops in action you .can stand as close as you want

At first I agreed with you.. but then I thought about it. What cops wants to get elbowed by some civilian when he is trying to arrest a criminal?

Elbows arent 25 feet long
while I agree 25 feet is a bit far, you never know what could happen.
What if a cop was wrestling some dumbfuck and some little limp wrist was recording it, got hit in the violence, and sued the fuck out of the city?
The flaw in that bill is it only illegal to record cops within 25 feet but if you aren't recording the cops in action you .can stand as close as you want
indeed. if that was their belief, you would figure that would have been clarified.. Thanks!

?

What is so unreasonable about 25 feet? That's only around two car lengths away and you can say to the cop you have a legal right to do it, in other states the cop will arrest you on trumped up charges.

it just seems arbitrary. I can see being within 5 feet as an issue, but 25 feet is across the street in some locations.

I get you but I think it is a good idea to have a law to back up the citizens.

Know Your Rights When Taking Photos and Making Video and Audio Recordings :: ACLU of Pennsylvania

• Police officers may order citizens to cease activities that are truly interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations. In general, a court will trust an officer's judgment about what is "interfering" more than yours. So if an officer orders you to stand back, do so.
  • If the officer says he/she will arrest you if you continue to use your camera, in most circumstances it is better to put the camera away and call the ACLU for help, rather than risking arrest.

You have a right to capture images in public places, but you don't always have a right to record what people say. Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation.

An officer asking you to back up is one thing, however they have zero right to tell you to stop recording, and if they do, knuckling under only encourages them to be asshats about it in the future.

and i doubt the wiretap law applies to recording the action of a government actor in the process of executing their official duties.

I may be old but I still remember what its like dealing with cops, it's better to do as they say then spending a night in jail and to fight it have to pay for a lawyer.
It is time for liberal lawyers to step up and defend people who are arrested for recording cops murdering or assaulting someone for free!

I don't see a big issue. Even the shittiest cell phone cams made today can clearly pick up video from 25 feet away.

Also The Huffingtonpost's spin on it sucks.

No. Everybody can still record the police.
25 feet doesn't always entail a clear line of sight to the event. It's a fixed distance that doesn't accommodate every situation. Plain and simple, this is a direct challenge to the Supreme Court and someone is going to get bitch slapped back in place.

?

What is so unreasonable about 25 feet? That's only around two car lengths away and you can say to the cop you have a legal right to do it, in other states the cop will arrest you on trumped up charges.

it just seems arbitrary. I can see being within 5 feet as an issue, but 25 feet is across the street in some locations.

I get you but I think it is a good idea to have a law to back up the citizens.

Know Your Rights When Taking Photos and Making Video and Audio Recordings :: ACLU of Pennsylvania

• Police officers may order citizens to cease activities that are truly interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations. In general, a court will trust an officer's judgment about what is "interfering" more than yours. So if an officer orders you to stand back, do so.
  • If the officer says he/she will arrest you if you continue to use your camera, in most circumstances it is better to put the camera away and call the ACLU for help, rather than risking arrest.

You have a right to capture images in public places, but you don't always have a right to record what people say. Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation.

An officer asking you to back up is one thing, however they have zero right to tell you to stop recording, and if they do, knuckling under only encourages them to be asshats about it in the future.

and i doubt the wiretap law applies to recording the action of a government actor in the process of executing their official duties.

I may be old but I still remember what its like dealing with cops, it's better to do as they say then spending a night in jail and to fight it have to pay for a lawyer.

Does spending a night in jail or having to pay a lawyer exact more of a cost than the guilt from knowing you could have provided video evidence LIVE in the name of justice? Suppose it is one of your relatives?

I don't see a big issue. Even the shittiest cell phone cams made today can clearly pick up video from 25 feet away.

25 feet doesn't always entail a clear line of sight to the event. It's a fixed distance that doesn't accommodate every situation. Plain and simple, this is a direct challenge to the Supreme Court and someone is going to get bitch slapped back in place.

All I am trying to say it is at least spelled out at the local level, down here the cops have free reign and The ACLU is powerless or don't care.

I have seen it on local television way to many times...as recently has three weeks ago, a cop got in a scuffle with a guy filming him

He was recording me too close!

Wheres the phone?

Broken in the scuffle sir

*Cop and Captain laugh*
That is why live streaming to facebook or other social media is preferable. While the cops are laughing about your broken phone the evidence is being observed by thousands of people and then e-mailed to the nearest News media office.

amazing....

I think it was the last shooting with the healthcare worker lying on his back with his hands in the air that precipitated this...

to be fair... .I haven't read the bill.... the sponsor says that it is a distance issue because getting within 100 feet of the police during their activities.

that said. they don't make anti-choice lynch mobs stay 100 feet away from abortion clinics.

The healthcare worker was lying on his back, one hand pushing the cops, one hand on a gun in his pocket. He fired the gun at cops before he was shot.

amazing....

I think it was the last shooting with the healthcare worker lying on his back with his hands in the air that precipitated this...

to be fair... .I haven't read the bill.... the sponsor says that it is a distance issue because getting within 100 feet of the police during their activities.

that said. they don't make anti-choice lynch mobs stay 100 feet away from abortion clinics.

The healthcare worker was lying on his back, one hand pushing the cops, one hand on a gun in his pocket. He fired the gun at cops before he was shot.

:stupid:

A clear camera shot supersedes the police doing their job?

The law would make it illegal for you or a passenger to record a simple traffic stop.

Why would you want to record a traffic stop? To show people you were stupid and got caught being stupid? That's stupid.

In my 42 years of driving I've been stopped a total of twice, both times for speeding (which I was) and I'd rather not have a video record of either.

You can't see from 25 feet ahead of you? Really? Get some glasses.

Forum List

Back