Terry Schiavo

The parents have no standing in this case. The husband is the one that would know best what her wishes were. It's a cheap shot to talk about his new realationship. He was extemely devoted to Terry and tried every therapy available. The problem came when her family refused to see the writing on the wall that there was no hope. He moved on long after the whole situation should have been settled. The real bad actors were the family trying to keep her alive as some sort of toy to play with.
me thinks you've been snowed.

let's just say, i disagree with your opinion above....

i have no political reason to agree with 'the right' since i am a ''leftie'', but i read every single article and judgement, and court case with testimony on this and I stand by my opinion that i stated above....

we'll just have to agree to disagree, my mind can not be changed on my solid stand.

Why have I been snowed? What has been proven? Nothing that I know of. The parents' position doesn't make sense. No one I ever knew would say they wanted to continue in that state. He waited a long time to tell them, because until then there were new therapies to try. When all failed, he simply was telling them what they already should have known.

Other than giving His side of the argument, or Parroting it, you have shown nothing. Their side claims she wanted a Separation before the Mysterious Accident, probable foul play, and a history of problems throughout the remainder of her life. Wow. Your side is so compelling though.

If I recall, the husband and Terry DID HAVE a discussion if something like this ever came up, what their wishes were. Those wishes should have been carried out a lot sooner, IMO.

They tried to carry them out sooner but George W Bush, Jeb Bush and the GOP members of congress decided that the federal government knew better and should take the decision away from the family.

That action should be CONDEMNED by any and all people who believe in limited government and personal freedom.

he was a husband, on paper only....he was already mentally married to a new live in wife....

the decision imho should have been up to the parents under those circumstances and his supposed marriage should have been null as far as i am concerned and the parents should have been allowed to take over her care costs, as they offered to do!

I DO NOT however, agree with the dog and pony SHOW the GOP put on....or their legislative moves!!!

The parents have no standing in this case. The husband is the one that would know best what her wishes were. It's a cheap shot to talk about his new realationship. He was extemely devoted to Terry and tried every therapy available. The problem came when her family refused to see the writing on the wall that there was no hope. He moved on long after the whole situation should have been settled. The real bad actors were the family trying to keep her alive as some sort of toy to play with.

i have no political reason to agree with 'the right' since i am a ''leftie'', but i read every single article and judgement, and court case with testimony on this and I stand by my opinion that i stated above....

we'll just have to agree to disagree, my mind can not be changed on my solid stand.

We are in agreement here. I cherish the moment. :D :lol:

he was a husband, on paper only....he was already mentally married to a new live in wife....

the decision imho should have been up to the parents under those circumstances and his supposed marriage should have been null as far as i am concerned and the parents should have been allowed to take over her care costs, as they offered to do!

I DO NOT however, agree with the dog and pony SHOW the GOP put on....or their legislative moves!!!

I normally do not talk about my personal life online. However...

my ex-wife is dying from a brain tumor (caused by the radiation treatments for retinoblastoma she had as a child). Most of it was removed over a year ago with surgery, and then radiation. It's begun growing again, aggressively, and surgery may not be an option this time. They are not sure there 'is' an option this time.

we've been divorced since 2005, separated since 2001.

She has asked me to make her medical decisions, should she become incapable of doing so. Not her parents, but her ex husband.

The idea of Terry Schiavo's ex husband being the best person to make medical decisions on her behalf is perfectly reasonable to me. Apparently, it's reasonable to my ex as well.

Another factoid for consideration on this topic.
The medical industry has a vested finiancial interest for keeping a patient "alive" on life support for as long as possible.

The medical industry has a vested finiancial interest for keeping a patient "alive" on life support for as long as possible.
but she was not on organ life support....she had a feeding tube cuz she couldn't swallow....just like my grandpa who lived a decade after his mild stroke....who could not swallow right afterwords. she was not on a respirator or mechanical heart pumping machine, or even a kidney dialysis machine....she was fed through a tube instead of through mouth swallowing....she had no organ failure that she needed a machine to keep her alive... ? (i hate this topic....on t shiavo....)

otherwise, yes....hospitals do have a financial interest...IF the person sick can pay for it, or insurance can pay for it....otherwise, no they do not....

I was unaware the government was supposed to help her husband kill her.

Having seen the videos, she was pretty darn responsive for being "brain dead".

I just hope that those who were in favor of her dying never have to experience the same method of death themselves.

but she was not on organ life support....she had a feeding tube cuz she couldn't swallow....just like my grandpa who lived a decade after his mild stroke....who could not swallow right afterwords. she was not on a respirator or mechanical heart pumping machine, or even a kidney dialysis machine....she was fed through a tube instead of through mouth swallowing....she had no organ failure that she needed a machine to keep her alive... ? (i hate this topic....on t shiavo....)

otherwise, yes....hospitals do have a financial interest...IF the person sick can pay for it, or insurance can pay for it....otherwise, no they do not....

yep a real sucky issue this one.
The only valid argument/contradiction I see here is that those opposed to govt interference do not seem to object to the state and federal govt interfering in this case.

my ex-wife is dying from a brain tumor (caused by the radiation treatments for retinoblastoma she had as a child). Most of it was removed over a year ago with surgery, and then radiation. It's begun growing again, aggressively, and surgery may not be an option this time. They are not sure there 'is' an option this time.

She has asked me to make her medical decisions, should she become incapable of doing so. Not her parents, but her ex husband.

The idea of Terry Schiavo's ex husband being the best person to make medical decisions on her behalf is perfectly reasonable to me. Apparently, it's reasonable to my ex as well.
it is reasonable 99.9% of the time, 100% of the time if you are talking about the law of the land....and in your case, your ex wife CHOSE you to make her final decisions....

terry and her hubby were married a very short time period, he had a new wife and kids so to say, who he should put first.

I do not believe terry's wishes were for-filled by him, or could be, on a fair basis....I do not believe she was in any where near the same circumstances as karen ann quinlan, in the movie she was watching when her husband SAYS she said she did not want to live like her....

also, my husband would never ever pull the plug on me or rather kill me through not allowing me to eat or drink and would never ever kill me if my parents begged him to let them provide for me, even in a vegetative state.

the whole thing was disheartening, to say the least.

Why have I been snowed? What has been proven? Nothing that I know of. The parents' position doesn't make sense. No one I ever knew would say they wanted to continue in that state. He waited a long time to tell them, because until then there were new therapies to try. When all failed, he simply was telling them what they already should have known.

Other than giving His side of the argument, or Parroting it, you have shown nothing. Their side claims she wanted a Separation before the Mysterious Accident, probable foul play, and a history of problems throughout the remainder of her life. Wow. Your side is so compelling though.

What makes your side so compelling? At least my argument makes sense. Yours only brings up unproven allegations by a family that had essentially lost its mind. Normal people would have looked at the reality of the situation and let her go.

I was unaware the government was supposed to help her husband kill her.

Having seen the videos, she was pretty darn responsive for being "brain dead".

I just hope that those who were in favor of her dying never have to experience the same method of death themselves.

The courts simply put the responsibility for that decision where it belongs, with the husband. The take-away message is GET A LIVING WILL. I hope I don't die that way either, but it's not like she felt any pain. The "responsiveness" you're talking about is mere wishful thinking. None of her doctors saw it as such.

Ah yes, the old quilty until proven innocent standard. Oh, wait..........

it is reasonable 99.9% of the time, 100% of the time if you are talking about the law of the land....and in your case, your ex wife CHOSE you to make her final decisions....

terry and her hubby were married a very short time period, he had a new wife and kids so to say, who he should put first.

I do not believe terry's wishes were for-filled by him, or could be, on a fair basis....I do not believe she was in any where near the same circumstances as karen ann quinlan, in the movie she was watching when her husband SAYS she said she did not want to live like her....

also, my husband would never ever pull the plug on me or rather kill me through not allowing me to eat or drink and would never ever kill me if my parents begged him to let them provide for me, even in a vegetative state.

What was disheartening to me was seeing a family that couldn't face facts. I don't believe that Terry's wish was to live in a persistant vegetative state. That just doesn't make sense.

Enough with all the side drama dems. Bringing up all this old worn out issues isn't going to save your drowning party.

It makes for a funny side show though. It's as if someone made a comedy out of the movie Titanic. Funny shit.

What makes your side so compelling? At least my argument makes sense. Yours only brings up unproven allegations by a family that had essentially lost its mind. Normal people would have looked at the reality of the situation and let her go.
my issues were:

-it was up to terry....and there was not enough evidence to support this being her ''will''.....please try to read the court cases on this and all the evidence or lack there of.... and without solid evidence of this being HER WILL, then regular protocol should have stood.

-AND, most importantly, i do NOT believe anyone alive should be put to their death by starvation and dehydration....it is inhumane.

It was disheartening. What was even more disheartening is that a private family matter became a public, political football played with by many "well meaning" outsiders.

Forum List

Back