Tennessee store owner puts no gays allowed sign back up

a long time ago my sister and i got into a debate about something similar. only i asked her that if she found an apartment complex she loved and it was close to her and checked all her boxes, but she couldn't move on because she had a kid, would she consider that unfair? ie - the complex is "adult only". she was of course not happy and felt that would be discriminating.

according to our current laws that is true.

but what i never understood is why people can't choose their target audience when they go into business. if i'm an adult i'd love to know there are no kids who will be up early on the weekends and waking me up. or toys scattered over the property. i'd just prefer since i have no kids to live in that type of community.

why can't i?

i don't think there will ever be a good answer for that one.
This is America.
We are too progressive to live where we are comfortable and happy.

we can't let people be happy doing what they want to do. we have to define what happiness is and tell people to go do that.

if in my example people don't want an all adult complex then they go out of business for making a bad call. simple as that. i understand people may feel discriminated against because they can't move in there, but why am i having to put up with their choices in life when i just want a quiet community with adults only to chill with?
But what if enough people in a community do not want to serve gays that restaraunts, hotels, movie theatres and stores refuse their service and are supported for it?
But religious people get a pass?
Why do you defend institutional discrimination?

How is he going to know who is gay? They don't all walk around in short shorts and glitter

They'll go off the rails.....gays can't help themselves
Right. Because everybody should just roll over whenever they are discriminated against.

You idiot bigots don't care about equal rights because you have never had to fight for them yourselves. You just sit back glibly and sneer oblivious to the anti-American sentiment you celebrate. Shameful.
You dont either, if you support certain classes or groups of people getting special rights. Or lose of human rights to private property
What special rights?
I can tell a person to fuck off because of a certain belief (not a god) or act but i cant if they believe in a god or the color of their skin?
Why does the christian or black guy get protections i dont?
Why does the christian get to tell a gay to fuck off in Colorado but an agnostic cant?
Simple logic.. To someone that can wipe their own ass.

You realize there is no such thing as "Gay Marriage" right? Obergfell created same-sex marriage and the Baker choose not to supply a product to this new market. He does not distinquish between straight same sex, or homosexual same sex, he simply does not supply that market regardless. This is far different than what the foolish hardware store keeper is doing.

a long time ago my sister and i got into a debate about something similar. only i asked her that if she found an apartment complex she loved and it was close to her and checked all her boxes, but she couldn't move on because she had a kid, would she consider that unfair? ie - the complex is "adult only". she was of course not happy and felt that would be discriminating.

but what i never understood is why people can't choose their target audience when they go into business. if i'm an adult i'd love to know there are no kids who will be up early on the weekends and waking me up. or toys scattered over the property. i'd just prefer since i have no kids to live in that type of community.

why can't i?

This is America.

we can't let people be happy doing what they want to do. we have to define what happiness is and tell people to go do that.

if in my example people don't want an all adult complex then they go out of business for making a bad call. simple as that. i understand people may feel discriminated against because they can't move in there, but why am i having to put up with their choices in life when i just want a quiet community with adults only to chill with?
But what if enough people in a community do not want to serve gays that restaraunts, hotels, movie theatres and stores refuse their service and are supported for it?
Because our Constitution has explicit religious protections. The problems arise when one set of rights comes into conflict with another, then it is up to the Supreme Court.

why can't i?

This is America.

Because our Constitution has explicit religious protections. The problems arise when one set of rights comes into conflict with another, then it is up to the Supreme Court.
The constitution gives religious people the power to trample liberty? I dont think so.

How is he going to know who is gay? They don't all walk around in short shorts and glitter

Right. Because everybody should just roll over whenever they are discriminated against.

You idiot bigots don't care about equal rights because you have never had to fight for them yourselves. You just sit back glibly and sneer oblivious to the anti-American sentiment you celebrate. Shameful.
You dont either, if you support certain classes or groups of people getting special rights. Or lose of human rights to private property
What special rights?
I can tell a person to fuck off because of a certain belief (not a god) or act but i cant if they believe in a god or the color of their skin?
Why does the christian get to tell a gay to fuck off in Colorado but an agnostic cant?
Does an agnostic (assuming that qualifies as religion) have a set of beliefs or doctrine concerning gays?

But not the “liberty” to curtail the liberty of others. .
Hey we agree!
What "liberty" of his, am i destroying, by telling him i wont sell him my private property?
It’s not exactly your private property. You have set up a business to serve the public, and have paid for and been granted a license to do so that grants you certain rights, protections and benefits right? And one of those is to sell to the public. The public includes gays.

Your liberty to refuse to sell impinges on his liberty to choose to purchase. If everyone in an area refuses to sell to him, then where is his liberty? It is back to Jim Crowe.
Apparently we need to establish what liberty is.
Here is the definition
lib·er·ty
ˈlibərdē/
noun
  1. 1.
    the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views. Agreed?
We had this conversation before :p

What special rights?
Does an agnostic (assuming that qualifies as religion) have a set of beliefs or doctrine concerning gays?
Lol come on now...

But not the “liberty” to curtail the liberty of others. .
Hey we agree!
What "liberty" of his, am i destroying, by telling him i wont sell him my private property?
It’s not exactly your private property. You have set up a business to serve the public, and have paid for and been granted a license to do so that grants you certain rights, protections and benefits right? And one of those is to sell to the public. The public includes gays.

Your liberty to refuse to sell impinges on his liberty to choose to purchase. If everyone in an area refuses to sell to him, then where is his liberty? It is back to Jim Crowe.
Apparently we need to establish what liberty is.
Here is the definition
lib·er·ty
ˈlibərdē/
noun
  1. 1.
    the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views. Agreed?
We had this conversation before :p
And apparently you still havent figured out what liberty is :D

What special rights?
Lol come on now...

Look we protect religion, and that means to some extent, we protect their rights to abhorant beliefs unless they affrct the rights of others, right?

why can't i?

as for the "no gays" sign up - may as well light your store on fire and burn it down yourself. you can't tell if people are gay in most instances and while we do have the flashy ones, that sure isn't all of 'em, no. most gay people i've known never really set off my "gaydar".

it's just another stupid LOOK AT ME argument the store owner is doing to get attention. but if he really doesn't want to serve gay people, why would gay people go there? do you really want people in the food industry FORCED to make your lunch?

you really gonna eat that?

i get the point and its' stupid and in the end i *do* feel it's his right to be that stupid. but it's my and everyone elses right to go next door and eat. most people will simply take business elsewhere and he's done.
The problem is they want to be able to discriminate without having to put up a sigh and suffer the consequences.

What special rights?
Lol come on now...

Look we protect religion, and that means to some extent, we protect their rights to abhorant beliefs unless they affrct the rights of others, right?
You just said everyone has a right to everyone elses private property if they have a business license.
Is not selling private property to someone trampling rights or not?

why can't i?

This is America.

how likely is this to happen? it seems we're anticipating a problem and rushing off to fix it before it becomes one.

now - in the case of the apartment complex - would i have a right to live in one that catered to adults? don't have kids, don't want 'em, and don't want to be around 'em. now why can't i find a complex that caters to this need?

why can't i?

as for the "no gays" sign up - may as well light your store on fire and burn it down yourself. you can't tell if people are gay in most instances and while we do have the flashy ones, that sure isn't all of 'em, no. most gay people i've known never really set off my "gaydar".

it's just another stupid LOOK AT ME argument the store owner is doing to get attention. but if he really doesn't want to serve gay people, why would gay people go there? do you really want people in the food industry FORCED to make your lunch?

you really gonna eat that?

i get the point and its' stupid and in the end i *do* feel it's his right to be that stupid. but it's my and everyone elses right to go next door and eat. most people will simply take business elsewhere and he's done.
The problem is they want to be able to discriminate without having to put up a sigh and suffer the consequences.

what consequences should they have to put up with?

if they're going to say NO GAYS ALLOWED then you can expect protests and so forth and likely will be out of business. that *would* be a consequence of going that route and if the market puts him under, that's what the market is for.

in the case of an adult apartment complex - what consequences would i be looking at i didn't already evaluate going in? ie - is there enough of a population to support this segment?

The SCOTUS ruling had nothing to do with "gay" or Public Accommodation Laws.

Who cares, I just want to be able to tell Asian midgets that they are not welcome in my business -- I can't fully appreciate what it means to be a patriotic American until I can deny services to a pregnant black woman

That is what makes America great!!
Wait until Jewish deli owners are forced to serve BLT's with delicious bacon.

You'll learn what makes America great.

Orthodox jewish people don't eat pork.

That doesn't mean that all jewish people don't eat pork.

Nor does it mean that orthodox jewish people can't cook pork to make a sandwich in their business.

They aren't eating the sandwich.

Plus if they don't serve pork to everyone no one is being discriminated. If it's not on their menu there's no problem.
Then force them to make ham sandwiches. muslims, too.

The reason they don't serve pork is because it's against their religion, the same as decorating a gay cake is against their religion.

Explain why anyone should be forced to defy their God for some political movement.

The thing is they don't have pork on their menus.

If they don't serve it to everyone that's not discrimination.

If they do, they don't eat it. They serve it to other people who do. But mostly they just don't have it on their menu. So people go there knowing that they won't get pork.

If a baker makes cakes for everyone but refuses to make it for one group that's discrimination. The baker does have it on their menu and do make cakes so people go there knowing that they will get a cake.

No one is asking the jewish or muslim person to do something that they don't do for everyone.

The baker is being asked to do something he does for everyone.

Can you see the difference?

Who cares, I just want to be able to tell Asian midgets that they are not welcome in my business -- I can't fully appreciate what it means to be a patriotic American until I can deny services to a pregnant black woman

Nor does it mean that orthodox jewish people can't cook pork to make a sandwich in their business.

Plus if they don't serve pork to everyone no one is being discriminated. If it's not on their menu there's no problem.

The reason they don't serve pork is because it's against their religion, the same as decorating a gay cake is against their religion.

Explain why anyone should be forced to defy their God for some political movement.

If they do, they don't eat it. They serve it to other people who do. But mostly they just don't have it on their menu. So people go there knowing that they won't get pork.

If a baker makes cakes for everyone but refuses to make it for one group that's discrimination. The baker does have it on their menu and do make cakes so people go there knowing that they will get a cake.

No one is asking the jewish or muslim person to do something that they don't do for everyone.

They were offered a cake. This Baker does not offer same sex wedding cakes, it is something he will not provide regardless of the sexuality of the participants.

Except SSM collides with their religious beliefs

They were offered a cake. This Baker does not offer same sex wedding cakes, it is something he will not provide regardless of the sexuality of the participants.

If Jews and Muslims aren't forced to serve gay sandwiches and falafels -- Christians shouldn't be forced to make gay cakes --- The tyranny of the government will not force our cakes to come out gay, no matter how hard the libs try!!

This is the aburdity of the entire argument. The Supreme Courts rulings did not create Gay Marriage. Read them. What they created was "Same Sex" Marriage. It does not distinguish between sexualities. Nearly anyone can Marry anyone else regardless of the sexuality of the participants.

The Baker does not offer same sex wedding cakes no matter the sex or sexuality. It is simply a product he doesn't offer. So, is he discriminating? I suppose. But to who exactly? Everyone? That simply can't be. To discriminate against all is simply not offering the product in the first place.

This is the aburdity of the entire argument. The Supreme Courts rulings did not create Gay Marriage. Read them. What they created was "Same Sex" Marriage. It does not distinguish between sexualities. Nearly anyone can Marry anyone else regardless of the sexuality of the participants.

The Baker does not offer same sex wedding cakes no matter the sex or sexuality. It is simply a product he doesn't offer. So, is he discriminating? I suppose. But to who exactly? Everyone? That simply can't be. To discriminate against all is simply not offering the product in the first place.

Meh there are literally dozens, hundreds or thousands of bakers....find one willing to accommodate and stop the squawking

Meh there are literally dozens, hundreds or thousands of bakers....find one willing to accommodate and stop the squawking

I agree, few Bakers decided not to seek the business of this new Market. There are literally thousands of Bakers that would have gladly taken this money, and I assume one did. This one decided that he did not want to supply product for this market, and did so in a legitimate manner as well.

Forum List

Back