Ten years is up.....time to release everyone from Gitmo

I grew up with a father who had inoperable shrapnel in his body. When he was a POW in a Japanese interment camp, they tortured him by hammering the shrapnel. When I was in high school, driving was torture for him. Every time he turned his head to check for an oncoming car, the shrapnel pain jabbed him.

Yeah, and the US put Japs on trial who had waterboarded prisoners, too. And sentenced them to hard labor for it.

Pay attention people, People who think like this, are running this country now. Liberal Democrats are Dangerous to American Security. It is that simple.

Sorry....just the way I grew up

I grew up believing that we were the good guys, that we did not torture, that we gave our criminals basic constitutional rights.

Sorry to say this, but your response declaring moral superiority, based on how you were raised, is typical of many Left wingers.

You're willing to put Amercan civilian lives at risk, which is sad.

Do you also think the ppl at gitmo should be able to sue the government for wrongfull imprisonment, after we let them go?

That is the risk of living in a civilized society. It is always safer to hang criminals where you find them. You may make some mistakes and hang the wrong person, but that is their problem

A hallmark of this country has always been that we cherish personal rights. We let criminals go for violations of their rights, we ensure that even someone suspected of the most heinous crime gets a fair trial. We are supposed to be the good guys.......and good guys don't lock people up forever without a chance to defend themselves

We are a nation of laws. One of our most cherished documents is the Bill of Rights which guarantees the right to a speedy trial, right to see the evidence against you and right to face your accuser

We, as a nation have done none of that and hold men who are "suspected" of being terrorists in indefinite detention. Isn't it time to put up or shut up and either try or release these men?

Oh shut the fuck up, you don't give a shit about the Bill of Rights. You only care about the document when it supports YOUR partial political causes...

As a libertarian I find your post to be an insult...

The Bill of Rights only extends to NATURAL US citizens......

Shut up, retard.

We are a nation of laws. One of our most cherished documents is the Bill of Rights which guarantees the right to a speedy trial, right to see the evidence against you and right to face your accuser

We, as a nation have done none of that and hold men who are "suspected" of being terrorists in indefinite detention. Isn't it time to put up or shut up and either try or release these men?

Oh shut the fuck up, you don't give a shit about the Bill of Rights. You only care about the document when it supports YOUR partial political causes...

Nick, it really is sad that you did not pay attention when you were in school. Some of the crap you rant on here makes you look like an idiot

We have tried and convicted terrorists in civil court. Even while Bush was President. So the idea put forth by pussies pissing in their pants that trying terrorists is some sort of lefty plot to destroy America is patently stupid.

. . . and some were caught in the act.

And?

That doesn’t justify indefinite detention. Indeed, that would make a conviction in a Federal court that much more probable.

They're terrorists.....try to keep that in perspective.

What evidence do you have they are terrorists?

None. Which is likely why many remain in detention.

The SCOTUS has specifically ruled on this, the US Gov't can indefinitely hold terrorists without trial, same as during a declared war. If I'm not mistaken we do conduct a review of each case to determine if indefinite detention is warranted.

Indefinite detention is never ‘warranted,’ that’s the problem. They either need to be tried or released. Those are the only two options per the Constitution.

For those who want to let 'em all go, are you willing to accept the risk that one or more of them would and/or could be responsible for a future terrorist attack against Americans somewhere in the world? I have yet to hear or see a liberal progressive who wants to close Gitmo and release these people man up and say they'll accept the responsibility for those who will die as a result.

The only detainees who should be released are detainees for whom there is no evidence of wrong-doing. Whether or not they’ll commit a crime in the future is irrelevant as that’s never been a determinant factor with regard to criminal prosecution, nor should it ever be.

Otherwise, those tried, convicted, and imprisoned won’t be a threat to anyone. The issue isn’t moving ahead with releases, it’s not moving ahead with trials.

The Supreme Court disagrees with you. Non-citizens, even illegal immigrants, are entitled to some rights.

Do Noncitizens Have Constitutional Rights? - Slate Magazine

Fuck the Supreme Court..

The Supreme Court is one of the bigger problems within my country and why my country is so fucked up...

They have more power than the fucking president and the congress...

In what universe should 9 assholes be enabled to dictate 300,000,000 people?

Its a mockery of democracy...

Sorry....just the way I grew up

I grew up believing that we were the good guys, that we did not torture, that we gave our criminals basic constitutional rights.

Sorry to say this, but your response declaring moral superiority, based on how you were raised, is typical of many Left wingers.

Do you also think the ppl at gitmo should be able to sue the government for wrongfull imprisonment, after we let them go?

That is the risk of living in a civilized society. It is always safer to hang criminals where you find them. You may make some mistakes and hang the wrong person, but that is their problem

A hallmark of this country has always been that we cherish personal rights. We let criminals go for violations of their rights, we ensure that even someone suspected of the most heinous crime gets a fair trial. We are supposed to be the good guys.......and good guys don't lock people up forever without a chance to defend themselves

Their are not citizens, and they are suspected to be engaged in an UNLAWFUL war against civilians of our country.

It's interesting you think we should pay a price.

Im not saying your a bad guy.

Liberals love using the constitution when it comes to helping groups they favor, but not a peep when it comes to using the commerce clause to get us on the path to universal health care.

Their are not citizens, and they are suspected to be engaged in an UNLAWFUL war against civilians of our country.

It's interesting you think we should pay a price.

Im not saying your a bad guy.

It is interesting that you would advocate life in prison for someone "suspected" to be engaged in an UNLAWFUL war.......wouldn't you want to know for sure?

Sorry, but I don't think we prove anything by sinking to their level. We are the United States....We set the moral high ground

There is no high moral ground in war.

Normally I agree with you FA, but sorry this statement is way off. There is a Difference for instance between fighting a war of Defense and one of Aggression. I believe for example when a country like the US, or NATO, or the whole UN, takes military action against a country. Libya for example, that there is a clear Moral High Ground, and we clearly were on it.

It doesn't matter that they aren't citizens, numbnuts.

God damn, how dense are you??

Yes it does, Read the Geneva Convention bud. Legally we can treat a Combatant from another country much differently that our own Constitution allows us to treat our own people.

Technically a legal argument can be made, that a Terrorist for example, caught in this country engages in attempting to commit acts of war against it, and not in the uniform of a country. Can be executed as a spy. We don't do it of course, but legally we could.

Clearly it does matter if they are US Citizens or not.

Nick, it really is sad that you did not pay attention when you were in school. Some of the crap you rant on here makes you look like an idiot

Public Schools are shit.

I know the Constitution and the entire Bill of Rights by heart...

Of course idiot fucks like yourself would probably say stupid shit (and I have seen you post) "separation of church and state.."

Liberals love using the constitution when it comes to helping groups they favor, but not a peep when it comes to using the commerce clause to get us on the path to universal health care.

Sorry, you’re not as funny as Mr. Nick.

Yes it does, Read the Geneva Convention bud. Legally we can treat a Combatant from another country much differently that our own Constitution allows us to treat our own people.

Technically a legal argument can be made, that a Terrorist for example, caught in this country engages in attempting to commit acts of war against it, and not in the uniform of a country. Can be executed as a spy. We don't do it of course, but legally we could.

Clearly it does matter if they are US Citizens or not.
And you’re even less amusing.

Fuck the Supreme Court..

The Supreme Court is one of the bigger problems within my country and why my country is so fucked up...

Curse those Founding Fathers!!!

They have more power than the fucking president and the congress...

In what universe should 9 assholes be enabled to dictate 300,000,000 people?

Its a mockery of democracy...

We are a republic, not a democracy. Our Founders were wise enough to know we would be saddled with people like you.

Forum List

Back