Presidential Power vs. Presidential Authority

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Martinsamerica, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Martinsamerica

Martinsamerica Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Overlooking the massive intrusion of the federal government in our daily lives, and the supreme courts complacency of such, using the commerce claus as a basis - I want to pose a question of enumerated presidential authority.

The constitution outlines the separation of powers for the federal government, and the strongest of the three branches of government was intended to be congress. It's almost as simple as first grade civis - congress was to enact laws, and the executive was to enforce them. The supreme court enters to determine the constitutionality of such laws.

Prior to the presidency of Andrew Jackson, American presidents acted as stewards of congressionally enacted laws, they were in essense administrators. Andrew Jackson, who I believe is one of our greatest presidents, took the presidency to the next left. He set the agendas, he used his executive control over the military and law enforcement to circumvent supreme court rulings, and basically flexed the authorotative muscles the constitution did not grant him. Since then presidents have followed suit.

The current president in particular, we have seen him time and again making demands of congress - but as the constitution outlines, it is to be the other way around. So my question to you is this: Should the agenda for each congressional session be set by congressional leaders, or should the president set the agenda for the nation? I don't mean that by constitutional authority, I mean what is the best method for the country.

Martin's America - Home

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    The only real demand President Obama has made of congress is for them to do their damned jobs. As long as they remain gridlocked into this partisan obstructionist bullshit then I support any action he takes that has a clear benfit to the working people of this nation. Remember them, the people who work at real jobs outside the beltway? Boehner wrote them off the very second he grasped the speaker's gavel in his greedy orange hand.

3. Martinsamerica

Martinsamerica Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Apparently you missed the point about the question, it had nothing to do with Obama in particular. It is about presidential authority. Would you say the same of Bush or the next republican president - they can demand anything they want of congress? And I don't know what actions you pay attention too, but Obama DEMANDS many things of congress that are simply to further his agenda - which is not always in line with what is right for America.

Martin's America - Home

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

Gridlock can be a good thing.

Especially when certain branches of gov't are not doing the right things.

If they were in agreement all the time we'd have some serious issues.

5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    So your contention is that the president should sit around waiting for bills to land on his desk and stay out of everything otherwise? When has any president done that and been anything other than a one term, useless placeholder? No, it is his job to set the agenda for his party and hold the legislative branch accountable for their actions or inaction as the case may be, the same can be said for the other two branches as well. The president in this day and age cannot ever just sit on the sidelines, not when he is the scapegoat for every bad thing that happens, he must do what he can to steer policy for the country even if he has to challenge congress to do their stinking jobs rather than sit on their hands.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

AND DO IT ALL WITHIN The Constitutional bounds.

Otherwise we have a dictator
    :eusa_whistle:

7. skipper

skipper VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If the Chief Executive, in addition to other responsibilities, is responsible for developing federal policies and preparing national budgets, how is it possible to be merely an administrator? The current chief probably thought he had to micro-manage this congress.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,767
    you're such a retard. gawd. it's embarassing.

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Seriously?

10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Let me guess, you picked your avatar because it is shiny.