Tell Me One Weird Thing About You

But if you have more than one, feel free to tell me all of them...

I like leaving lights on all over the house. My husband scolds me and ends up turning them all off. I then put them back on again...

I have vivid memories from when I was younger than 18 months. That time frame is easily established because my family moved from the country to the city when I was 18 months old, and I can remember the new furniture we suddenly had which was so different from before. The memory prior to 18 months had to have been in the warm months so I would've been about 15-16 months old. These memories are confirmable because I can provide information to others present that is otherwise of too minor importance to come up in any conversation.

I believe that memories become more deeply imbedded when there is some sort of trauma (mental/emotional/physical) involved; if the trauma in itself does not dam up memories.

For years, starting years back, from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM I listened to talk radio through a headset from a small pocket sized “walkman” radio. Sometimes I would hear programming that I would hear again later and even years later when it would be replayed. I found that I could visualize the very same scenes that I'd been seeing when I first heard it.

Experiencing this effect caused me to analyze it further: The combination of action/hearing/seeing/smelling/feeling, in other words the combination of sensations came together to form a composite memory. The more of those essential elements the more vivid the memory. When a trauma is thrown in (think of the death of JFK or Sept 11-2001), but more so a personal trauma, and if we don't then block or filter these memories out because of their unpleasantness related to that trauma, then we have a "reference tag". This reference tag allows us to retrieve any number of memories which would otherwise be lost in the noise of our minds.

I am a great fan of the space program, and since 1976, the flight of "Enterprise", it has been manifest mainly by the space shuttle. When the first report of the burning of "Columbia" over the West coast and then Texas came over the radio, I was listening to my little walkman, leveling out crushed stone on a Saturday morning. The stone was partly frozen, and I had a heater in the garage space to thaw it out. The garage door opening had plastic stapled in place over the door frame to let in light and to access it for the "pour" on Monday morning coming, and the door had not been installed yet. Now it is easy to establish that the date was Saturday February 1, 2003.

This is just one, and we all have it in common. But there are many of these, not shared by others, and they are in effect a way of locating the "drawer" in which the memory is kept through out our entire lives.

This is just a little of it; but one last item: The most traumatic day of our lives...what is it? It's the day of our birth. On that day there are strange new noises, bright lights even though seen through the veil of the eyelid, odors never before smelled, heck, breath that was never before taken, breathed only after a slap on the butt to create sensation and a gasp into the lungs of this foreign thing; a complete change from weightlessness to a world of weight and substance, no longer just suspended in a fluid.....Might that be memorable, stored away in a drawer, seemingly irretrievable? The memory of our own birth....

Then how about when we die; might our memories be replayed on the opposite end….suddenly vividly seen…a bright light after a long tunnel, now everything explained with a lifetime of experience; everything now seen in the context of our own lives? After all, dying is as inevitable a part of living, as is being born.

Last edited:
What's wrong with having the hots for MM?

midnight-marauder.gif

Forum List

Back