Televangelist Jim Bakker sells $45 Trump Coin, says its "point of contact" with God

I'll bite. So, had this guy simply started marketing a coin for sale, I'd be fine with that, as that is just captlitalism, however, since he is marketing it as a point of contact with God, it is wrong. I mean, whose to say, maybe he had a divine intervention and this is what he was told to do. Barring that, it's a scam.

While I'm not the most religious person around, I'm pretty confident that God is not going to require anyone to purchase a coin in order to pray for someone.

I'm sure there will be people who will get taken by this, and that is why I think its wrong.

Exactly. The difference between normal capitalism and fleecing the people for your political/religious beliefs is simple.

Basic capitalism would be someone making a teddy bear, dressing it up like Trump, and calling it "Trumpy Bear" (which is a real thing BTW). While I personally think it's stupid and a waste of money, there are those out there that don't, and they will buy one. Nothing was said about that bear being a touchstone to anything.

The coin? TOTALLY different thing. Yes, it's being sold for capitalist reasons (to make money), but they are also dressing it up as something that gives a person a connection to God. That is where it goes wrong. You can't sell a connection to God. Faith is what gets a person that kind of thing, not a 45 dollar coin.

Too bad Christians don't know that anymore.

Christian's do know this, but you have those, in any group, who are going to be more fanatical about certain things.

If Christians know this, then why are they allowing some of their own to use God's blessings for their own benefit? The money changers were doing the same thing in the Temple, and Jesus became unglued and whipped them and turned over their tables. Many times that story is told to show how it's not good to sell God's blessings. Why is it okay when Bakker and his pals do it?

It's not ok for them to do it, but what do you want people to do?

Well, for starters, how about regular real Christians denouncing what is being done by Bakker and his pals? I mean, you want the moderate Muslims to tone down the fanatics, why can't Christians do the same with their belief system?

There are a couple articles out there denouncing this coin scam.

I cant answer why you dont hear more people denouncing it, but I don't believe that most Christian's support this type of thing.

Last edited:
I didn't know Bakker was still alive.

I have always felt this guy was a conman.

Don't believe a word he ever said and his wife or ex-wife (I don't remember if they divorced or not) is just as bad.

Forum List

Back