Teaching anal sex to 5th graders?

I wonder if they introduced the material on purpose to gauge the parents' reactions?

Very astute. If they can slide it by (pardon the allusion) the parents, they can implement it, and claim it had parental review.

You really think the school district plans to teach anal sex to 5th graders. That's ridiculous.

I would suggest that you are strongly out of touch with our education system ... I recommend you visit your local school. This isn't new ...
You really think the school district plans to teach anal sex to 5th graders. That's ridiculous.

I would suggest that you are strongly out of touch with our education system ... I recommend you visit your local school. This isn't new ...
I do weekly. I volunteer in my grandson's elementary school, my daughter teaches 3rd grade, and I taught in high school. I'm probably out of touch with a lot stuff, but not our local schools.

Then, you're not seeing what's going on. I would suggest you've either become anesthetized by familiarity, or you aren't asking the right questions.

Try an experiment - ask your teacher daughter why the level of education differs so significantly by ethnicity in her school, and what they are doing about it. Then, ask her why the results of testing at the 10th grade level shows that all their 'actions' are a failure, that the problem is exponentially worse the longer they stay in school. Ask her how much money is spent per student for special education versus general education.

Ask yourself how much money is spent on educating the gifted student (typically white and much smaller classes) compared to the amount of money dedicated to helping minorities to catch up.

You have a grandson - ask yourself a simple question. How much of his academic and, particularly, social education should be the responsibility of his parents, but is abdicated to the schools?
The subject of the thread is sex education specifically at the 5th grade level in a Chicago school, not special education, nor the difference in education by ethnisity, nor the parents role in social education

Disingenuous - the discussion is about the actions of the educational institutions that you don't know about.
I thought the topic was "Teaching anal sex to 5th graders?"

I do weekly. I volunteer in my grandson's elementary school, my daughter teaches 3rd grade, and I taught in high school. I'm probably out of touch with a lot stuff, but not our local schools.

Then, you're not seeing what's going on. I would suggest you've either become anesthetized by familiarity, or you aren't asking the right questions.

Try an experiment - ask your teacher daughter why the level of education differs so significantly by ethnicity in her school, and what they are doing about it. Then, ask her why the results of testing at the 10th grade level shows that all their 'actions' are a failure, that the problem is exponentially worse the longer they stay in school. Ask her how much money is spent per student for special education versus general education.

Ask yourself how much money is spent on educating the gifted student (typically white and much smaller classes) compared to the amount of money dedicated to helping minorities to catch up.

You have a grandson - ask yourself a simple question. How much of his academic and, particularly, social education should be the responsibility of his parents, but is abdicated to the schools?
The subject of the thread is sex education specifically at the 5th grade level in a Chicago school, not special education, nor the difference in education by ethnisity, nor the parents role in social education

Disingenuous - the discussion is about the actions of the educational institutions that you don't know about.

See? That's the problem --- it isn't about teaching anal sex to 5th graders. It's about the abuses and incompetencies of the American education system, when coupled with the elitist attitude of educators, that has created two generations of under-educated, under-performing, self centered students. It is about our failure to prepare them for real life.

This is just another example.

No the OP was floating a fallacious turd in order to introduce his favorite subject "sex with children".

See? That's the problem --- it isn't about teaching anal sex to 5th graders. It's about the abuses and incompetence of the American education system, when coupled with the elitist attitude of educators, that has created two generations of under-educated, under-performing, self centered students. It is about our failure to prepare them for real life.

You may see that as the problem but the incompetence of the American education system is far too broad a topic to discuss in a single thread. IMHO, such discussions are pointless.

See? That's the problem --- it isn't about teaching anal sex to 5th graders. It's about the abuses and incompetence of the American education system, when coupled with the elitist attitude of educators, that has created two generations of under-educated, under-performing, self centered students. It is about our failure to prepare them for real life.

You may see that as the problem but the incompetence of the American education system is far too broad a topic to discuss in a single thread. IMHO, such discussions are pointless.
Yep - pretty much ignore it, because it's so HARD!!

Same thing I heard at the school board meeting last month.

If you want make changes, you attack individual issues. As the saying goes, you eat an elephant one bit at a time. Broad general discussions only provide a place for people to express their frustration and accomplish nothing.

If you want make changes, you attack individual issues. As the saying goes, you eat an elephant one bit at a time. Broad general discussions only provide a place for people to express their frustration and accomplish nothing.

... and ignoring them ensures they will continue.

Well teaching it to kids in 5th grade is pretty yucky.

You know, what the liberals who are so gung ho about teaching children about sex forget is that there are other consequences that come along with sex at too young of an age besides pregnancy and STDs, such as self-esteem issues, and most of the time, I still believe that if children are sexually active at that young an age, Child Protective Services should be involved. A 10-year-old CHILD should not be having sex at all, never mind anal sex.

I'm also thinking that a lot of sexual irresponsibility with teens is not related to a lack of education but to a complete lack of self awareness because they are still kids. They still walk around with that "nothing bad can happen to me, I am invincible" attitude. We see with their driving, we see whenever they do something stupid that they know darn well can hurt them, but they do it anyway. Why would you think sex would be any different?

I still support sex education, but I don't think there is a need for anything more than a compulsory explanation of the basics and safety, etc. The schools need to concentrate on academia, hiring good teachers, hiring teachers who are not MOLESTING kids, etc.

Forum List

Back