Teaching anal sex to 5th graders?

I'm also thinking that a lot of sexual irresponsibility with teens is not related to a lack of education but to a complete lack of self awareness because they are still kids. They still walk around with that "nothing bad can happen to me, I am invincible" attitude. We see with their driving, we see whenever they do something stupid that they know darn well can hurt them, but they do it anyway. Why would you think sex would be any different?

I still support sex education, but I don't think there is a need for anything more than a compulsory explanation of the basics and safety, etc. The schools need to concentrate on academia, hiring good teachers, hiring teachers who are not MOLESTING kids, etc.
The following is a guideline used in many states for development of sex education curriculum. It is not grade specific; that is curriculum planers must decide what should be taught at the various grade levels. My question is which topics in your opinion should or should not be taught to a 5th grader?

Day One: Human Development
    • Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
    1. Names of body parts
    2. Differences between boys and girls – including respect for all genders
    • Reproduction
    1. General physiology of reproduction – male and female required, intercourse, baby grows in uterus
    2. Puberty and body changes – no pregnancy before puberty
    3. Pregnancy and birth
    • Body Image
    1. Value of differences – male/female, shapes, sizes, colors, disabilities, etc.
    2. Pride in and appreciation of one’s body
    • Sexual Identity and Orientation
    1. Gender – boys/girls and men/women
    2. Homosexuality and heterosexuality and appropriate labels (gay men and lesbians)
    3. Respect for all sexual orientations
Day Two: Relationships
  1. Families
    1. Different kinds of families
    2. Change over time (roles, structure, new babies, etc.)
    3. Role of families: taking care of each other, developing rules, loving each other
  2. Friendship
    1. Components of friendship
    2. Sharing, hurting and forgiving feelings
    3. Different structures of friendships – gender, age
  3. Love
    1. Importance of showing and sharing love
    2. Different ways to show love (family, friends, etc.)
  4. Dating
    1. Definition of dating
    2. People who date: teenagers, unmarried adults, single parents
  5. Marriage and Lifetime Commitments
    1. Reasons for marriage
    2. Marriage for a lifetime
    3. Divorce; reasons and difficulties of divorce
  6. Raising Children
    1. Reasons for having children
    2. Raising children is for adults – effort, commitment
    3. Adoption
Day Two continued: Personal Skills
  1. Values
    1. Definition
    2. We all have different values
  2. Decision-making
    1. Examples of decisions we make, others make
    2. Developing our skills in decision-making
    3. Getting help in making decisions
  3. Communication
    1. Verbal and nonverbal communication
    2. Importance of communication
  4. Assertiveness
    1. Importance of sharing your feelings
    2. Personal rights and telling people what you want
    3. Parents sometimes override your rights
  5. Looking for Help
    1. Who to ask for help: parents first
    2. If parents can’t help: teacher, counselor, minister, friends’ parents
Day Three: Sexual Behavior
  1. Sexuality Throughout Life
    1. Bodies feel good
    2. Body curiosity is normal
  2. Masturbation
    1. Definition
    2. Boys and girls masturbate
    3. Private (not secret) activity
  3. Shared Sexual Behavior
    1. Touching, hugging, kissing, sexual behavior
    2. To show love and share pleasure
  4. Human Sexual Response
    1. Normal, healthy for people to enjoy
    2. Boys’ and girls’ bodies are more alike than different
Day Three continued: Sexual Health
  1. Contraception & Abortion
    1. Wanted and unwanted pregnancies
    2. The choice to have children is up to the people involved
  2. STDs and HIV
    1. Definition and causes (bacteria or viruses)
    2. Ways of getting STDs
    3. Ways you cannot get STDs
  3. Sexual Abuse
    1. Body rights
    2. Good touch/bad touch
    3. Appropriate & inappropriate nudity
    4. What to do if you feel abused or afraid -- tell a trusted adult
    5. Never the fault of the child
    6. Both boys and girls can be abused
  4. Reproductive and Genital Health
    1. Keeping your genitals healthy -- washing, doctor visits
    2. Healthy & unhealthy behavior during pregnancy -- drugs/smoking, etc.
Day Four: Society and Culture
  1. Gender Roles
    1. Boys and girls -- similarities and differences
    2. Parents’ roles
    3. Expectations of boys vs. girls
  2. Sexuality and Religion
    1. Religion sometimes has opinions on sexuality
    2. Differences in religion and values -- some similar, some different
  3. Diversity
    1. Why talking about differences is important
    2. Stereotypes
    3. Discrimination -- all people should be treated fair and equal
  4. Sexuality and the Media
    1. Truth vs. fiction about sexuality on TV/movies/Internet
    2. Age appropriateness
    3. Commercials

I'm also thinking that a lot of sexual irresponsibility with teens is not related to a lack of education but to a complete lack of self awareness because they are still kids. They still walk around with that "nothing bad can happen to me, I am invincible" attitude. We see with their driving, we see whenever they do something stupid that they know darn well can hurt them, but they do it anyway. Why would you think sex would be any different?

I still support sex education, but I don't think there is a need for anything more than a compulsory explanation of the basics and safety, etc. The schools need to concentrate on academia, hiring good teachers, hiring teachers who are not MOLESTING kids, etc.
The following is a guideline used in many states for development of sex education curriculum. It is not grade specific; that is curriculum planers must decide what should be taught at the various grade levels. My question is which topics in your opinion should or should not be taught to a 5th grader?

Day One: Human Development
    • Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
    1. Names of body parts
    2. Differences between boys and girls – including respect for all genders
    • Reproduction
    1. General physiology of reproduction – male and female required, intercourse, baby grows in uterus
    2. Puberty and body changes – no pregnancy before puberty
    3. Pregnancy and birth
    • Body Image
    1. Value of differences – male/female, shapes, sizes, colors, disabilities, etc.
    2. Pride in and appreciation of one’s body
    • Sexual Identity and Orientation
    1. Gender – boys/girls and men/women
    2. Homosexuality and heterosexuality and appropriate labels (gay men and lesbians)
    3. Respect for all sexual orientations
Day Two: Relationships
  1. Families
    1. Different kinds of families
    2. Change over time (roles, structure, new babies, etc.)
    3. Role of families: taking care of each other, developing rules, loving each other
  2. Friendship
    1. Components of friendship
    2. Sharing, hurting and forgiving feelings
    3. Different structures of friendships – gender, age
  3. Love
    1. Importance of showing and sharing love
    2. Different ways to show love (family, friends, etc.)
  4. Dating
    1. Definition of dating
    2. People who date: teenagers, unmarried adults, single parents
  5. Marriage and Lifetime Commitments
    1. Reasons for marriage
    2. Marriage for a lifetime
    3. Divorce; reasons and difficulties of divorce
  6. Raising Children
    1. Reasons for having children
    2. Raising children is for adults – effort, commitment
    3. Adoption
Day Two continued: Personal Skills
  1. Values
    1. Definition
    2. We all have different values
  2. Decision-making
    1. Examples of decisions we make, others make
    2. Developing our skills in decision-making
    3. Getting help in making decisions
  3. Communication
    1. Verbal and nonverbal communication
    2. Importance of communication
  4. Assertiveness
    1. Importance of sharing your feelings
    2. Personal rights and telling people what you want
    3. Parents sometimes override your rights
  5. Looking for Help
    1. Who to ask for help: parents first
    2. If parents can’t help: teacher, counselor, minister, friends’ parents
Day Three: Sexual Behavior
  1. Sexuality Throughout Life
    1. Bodies feel good
    2. Body curiosity is normal
  2. Masturbation
    1. Definition
    2. Boys and girls masturbate
    3. Private (not secret) activity
  3. Shared Sexual Behavior
    1. Touching, hugging, kissing, sexual behavior
    2. To show love and share pleasure
  4. Human Sexual Response
    1. Normal, healthy for people to enjoy
    2. Boys’ and girls’ bodies are more alike than different
Day Three continued: Sexual Health
  1. Contraception & Abortion
    1. Wanted and unwanted pregnancies
    2. The choice to have children is up to the people involved
  2. STDs and HIV
    1. Definition and causes (bacteria or viruses)
    2. Ways of getting STDs
    3. Ways you cannot get STDs
  3. Sexual Abuse
    1. Body rights
    2. Good touch/bad touch
    3. Appropriate & inappropriate nudity
    4. What to do if you feel abused or afraid -- tell a trusted adult
    5. Never the fault of the child
    6. Both boys and girls can be abused
  4. Reproductive and Genital Health
    1. Keeping your genitals healthy -- washing, doctor visits
    2. Healthy & unhealthy behavior during pregnancy -- drugs/smoking, etc.
Day Four: Society and Culture
  1. Gender Roles
    1. Boys and girls -- similarities and differences
    2. Parents’ roles
    3. Expectations of boys vs. girls
  2. Sexuality and Religion
    1. Religion sometimes has opinions on sexuality
    2. Differences in religion and values -- some similar, some different
  3. Diversity
    1. Why talking about differences is important
    2. Stereotypes
    3. Discrimination -- all people should be treated fair and equal
  4. Sexuality and the Media
    1. Truth vs. fiction about sexuality on TV/movies/Internet
    2. Age appropriateness
    3. Commercials

I don't disagree with any of it. I just don't feel a lot of it is necessary for 10-year-old children. The school is not there to be the parents! They have a specific job, to teach academia. That is why we send children to school. Not to learn them all about sex! Spend more time on the important things that school is supposed to be focused on and less time on this other "extra" stuff!

Ahhh... the glories of public education.
This is easy - the schools/education department are fucking stupid.
They teach little kids about sex, them moan when the kids start doing it, or are preyed upon by perverts.

Additional problem with any sex-ed in school is regardless of how much information you give to kids, they're still 'hatching' out into a society decidely anti-sex. Current sexual paradigm is the same one we've had since the 50s. Sex waits until marriage, is for procreation, casual sex is sinful. Until that sort of thinking changes, sex-ed is fairly redundant. Without a modernized paradign where consensual recreational sex is fine, teaching kids about sex is redundant. Just gonna create confusion and guilt where there wouldn't be any absent such education. "We learned all about sex in school. But we're not supposed to have it." That's like showing kids candy of every description then telling them they can't have any and will go to hell if they sneak any.

Dear Flopper:

The problem with that chart is that it purports to be "value neutral," but in the process it PROMOTES a totally amoral view of sexuality and human reproduction.

Parents who are trying to teach their children the traditional perspectives on sexual morality are, in effect, mocked by this utterly non-judgmental approach. Sometimes it is appropriate to be judgmental.

"We all have different values." Yes, I have values that differ with those of NAMBLA, thank you very much, but I don't want my child taught that values are inconsequential and are all equally valid. THEY ARE NOT.

There are large swaths of the American population who do not believe that marriage is necessary for raising children, and their casual attitude about marriage is a social DISASTER in this country. But under this instructional paradigm, those "values" are as valid as any other set of values, and not to be scorned or, in fact, evaluated in any way. Because that wouldn't be kind.

Care to look up the stats on delinquency, incarceration, drop-out, and addiction rates on illegitimate children? Didn't think so.

When sex education was left to the devices of the "ignorant" parents, we had less illegitimacy, less STD's, more successful marriages (judging by divorce rates), and less promiscuity by high school (and grade school) kids. And yet, perversely, ALL of our kids now know the mechanics of sex, and they know how to prevent conception and disease, because all of that has been taught to them in school by "professionals."

It's a puzzlement, isn't it? Government got into the sex education business and everything went to hell. Not cause & effect, certainly, but not unrelated either.

All sex ed should be on a parental opt-in basis, taught after school. If the parents don't want their kids to be fed this crap they shouldn't have to turn their kids into the objects of ridicule by pulling them out of semi-mandatory classes.

My son was taught "safe" techniques for anal sex when he was in 6th grade, on the basis of the menace of the AIDS epidemic. At the time, there was not a single heterosexual AIDS case in all of the county where we live (2 million pop.).

Well, he doesn't have AIDS, so I guess it was worthwhile.

Dear Flopper:

The problem with that chart is that it purports to be "value neutral," but in the process it PROMOTES a totally amoral view of sexuality and human reproduction.

Parents who are trying to teach their children the traditional perspectives on sexual morality are, in effect, mocked by this utterly non-judgmental approach. Sometimes it is appropriate to be judgmental.

"We all have different values." Yes, I have values that differ with those of NAMBLA, thank you very much, but I don't want my child taught that values are inconsequential and are all equally valid. THEY ARE NOT.

There are large swaths of the American population who do not believe that marriage is necessary for raising children, and their casual attitude about marriage is a social DISASTER in this country. But under this instructional paradigm, those "values" are as valid as any other set of values, and not to be scorned or, in fact, evaluated in any way. Because that wouldn't be kind.

Care to look up the stats on delinquency, incarceration, drop-out, and addiction rates on illegitimate children? Didn't think so.

When sex education was left to the devices of the "ignorant" parents, we had less illegitimacy, less STD's, more successful marriages (judging by divorce rates), and less promiscuity by high school (and grade school) kids. And yet, perversely, ALL of our kids now know the mechanics of sex, and they know how to prevent conception and disease, because all of that has been taught to them in school by "professionals."

It's a puzzlement, isn't it? Government got into the sex education business and everything went to hell. Not cause & effect, certainly, but not unrelated either.

All sex ed should be on a parental opt-in basis, taught after school. If the parents don't want their kids to be fed this crap they shouldn't have to turn their kids into the objects of ridicule by pulling them out of semi-mandatory classes.

My son was taught "safe" techniques for anal sex when he was in 6th grade, on the basis of the menace of the AIDS epidemic. At the time, there was not a single heterosexual AIDS case in all of the county where we live (2 million pop.).

To have any intelligent discussion of sex education in schools, you have to address the type of sex education because it varies tremendously between state and even district.

Most of this thread is concerned with comprehensive sex education. That means teaching accurate complete sex information appropriate to age level. Contrary to what many believe these programs do not advocate any type of sexual behavior. They give kids accurate information about their bodies, the opposite sex, pregnancy, child birth, marriage, divorce, and a host of other topics. Yes, oral sex, and anal sex are covered as related to HIV/Aids and SDT prevention and possible alternative sexual behavior.

Districts that teach comprehensive sex education will usually notify parents when the classes are taught, make class outlines available to parents and urge them to talk to their kids about what they have learned in class and add their own views, beliefs, and provide parental guidelines. Comprehensive sex education has scored very highly with students, educators, and parents who have actually seen the complete programs.

The alternative to comprehensive sex education is abstinence only programs which are required in several states. For over two decades, the federal government has sunk millions of taxpayer dollars into abstinence-only-until-marriage programs. While these programs often replace more comprehensive sexuality education courses, they rarely provide information on even the most basic topics in human sexuality such as puberty, reproductive anatomy, and sexual health, and they have never been proven effective. Basically these programs teach only the topics the parents are comfortable discussing and do little to help kids make the important decisions that face them.

Dear Flopper:

To have any intelligent discussion of sex education in schools, you have to address the type of sex education because it varies tremendously between state and even district.

Most of this thread is concerned with comprehensive sex education. That means teaching accurate complete sex information appropriate to age level. Contrary to what many believe these programs do not advocate any type of sexual behavior. They give kids accurate information about their bodies, the opposite sex, pregnancy, child birth, marriage, divorce, and a host of other topics. Yes, oral sex, and anal sex are covered as related to HIV/Aids and SDT prevention and possible alternative sexual behavior.

Districts that teach comprehensive sex education will usually notify parents when the classes are taught, make class outlines available to parents and urge them to talk to their kids about what they have learned in class and add their own views, beliefs, and provide parental guidelines. Comprehensive sex education has scored very highly with students, educators, and parents who have actually seen the complete programs.

The alternative to comprehensive sex education is abstinence only programs which are required in several states. For over two decades, the federal government has sunk millions of taxpayer dollars into abstinence-only-until-marriage programs. While these programs often replace more comprehensive sexuality education courses, they rarely provide information on even the most basic topics in human sexuality such as puberty, reproductive anatomy, and sexual health, and they have never been proven effective. Basically these programs teach only the topics the parents are comfortable discussing and do little to help kids make the important decisions that face them.

And this would be fine if we were talking about older children. I don't see a need to be so specific with 10-year-old children, and I do think it could have the potential to pique curiosity in young children before they might otherwise think of such things.

Dear Flopper:

And this would be fine if we were talking about older children. I don't see a need to be so specific with 10-year-old children, and I do think it could have the potential to pique curiosity in young children before they might otherwise think of such things.
In comprehensive sex education, specifics increase with age. For example, in early childhood k-2, the difference between boys and girls and their anatomy is covered. Sex education for older elementary students covers same material but in more detail. I seriously doubt that oral or anal sex would be even included in the program at a 5th grade level. However, that doesn't mean the teacher will ignore questions on the subject. Discussions of abstinence, birth control, pregnancy, divorce are added to the curriculum and expanded as grade level increases. Here are core concepts of a comprehensive program for elementary students.

2nd Grade

• Use proper names for body parts, including male and female anatomy.
  • Describe differences and similarities in boys and girls.
  • Explain that all living things reproduce
  • Identify different kinds of families
  • Describe the characteristics of a friend
  • Explain that all people, including children, have the right to tell others not to touch their body when they do not want to be touched
  • Explain what bullying and teasing are
  • Explain why bullying and teasing is wrong

5th Grade

• Describe male and female reproductive systems including body parts and their functions
  • Explain the physical, social and emotional changes that occur during puberty and adolescence
  • Explain how the timing of puberty and adolescent development varies considerably
  • Describe how puberty prepares human bodies for the potential to reproduce
  • Define sexual orientation as the romantic attraction of an individual to someone of the same gender or a different gender
  • Describe the process of human reproduction
  • Define HIV and identify some age appropriate methods of transmission, as well as ways to preventing transmission
  • Describe the characteristics of healthy relationships
  • Define teasing, harassment and bullying and explain why they are wrong
  • Define sexual harassment and sexual abuse
FoSE National Sexuality Education Standards

Last edited:
Dear Flopper:

In comprehensive sex education, specifics increase with age. For example, in early childhood k-2, the difference between boys and girls and their anatomy is covered. Sex education for older elementary students covers same material but in more detail. I seriously doubt that oral or anal sex would be even included in the program at a 5th grade level. However, that doesn't mean the teacher will ignore questions on the subject. Discussions of abstinence, birth control, pregnancy, divorce are added to the curriculum and expanded as grade level increases. Here are core concepts of a comprehensive program for elementary students.

2nd Grade

• Explain that all people, including children, have the right to tell others not to touch their body when they do not want to be touched

5th Grade

• Describe male and female reproductive systems including body parts and their functions
  • Explain the physical, social and emotional changes that occur during puberty and adolescence
  • Explain how the timing of puberty and adolescent development varies considerably
  • Define sexual orientation as the romantic attraction of an individual to someone of the same gender or a different gender
  • Define HIV and identify some age appropriate methods of transmission, as well as ways to preventing transmission

Yes, well that is all good, but the schools really have to start concentrating on what they are there for. Teaching academics. People do NOT send their children to school for a sexual education but for an academic education, to get them ready for that portion of their lives.

Why are the schools SO interested in children's sexuality anyway? Instead of spending so much time and effort on this type of education, they should be concentrating more on how to save money, how to invest money, how to budget, how to balance your check book, etc. Instead of those important life skills . . . we have this HUGE massive curriculum dedicated to SEX!!!!

Who was it that ever decided that the schools should take on the roles of parents anyway? What makes the school systems think they have this right, to talk to our children about such intimate things? Especially when teachers are no MORE qualified in the department of SEX than anyone else? Teachers are only people too with their OWN baggages and biases.

Dear Flopper:

2nd Grade

5th Grade

Yes, well that is all good, but the schools really have to start concentrating on what they are there for. Teaching academics. People do NOT send their children to school for a sexual education but for an academic education, to get them ready for that portion of their lives.

Why are the schools SO interested in children's sexuality anyway? Instead of spending so much time and effort on this type of education, they should be concentrating more on how to save money, how to invest money, how to budget, how to balance your check book, etc. Instead of those important life skills . . . we have this HUGE massive curriculum dedicated to SEX!!!!
64% of the students in the US will be taught sex education twice during their 12 years in school, usually once in middle school and once in high school for a total of 40 hours of instruction. This is .3% of their class time. That's not much time to devote to what teens consider one of the most important subject in their lives. It's certainly not a huge massive curriculum. By comparison, a one semester elective such as cooking or digital photography will use over twice as much class time as the total amount of sex education an average student will receive in 12 years of school.

According to SIECUS, the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, 93% of adults they surveyed support sexuality education in high school and 84% support it in junior high school. In fact, 88% of parents of junior high school students and 80% of parents of high school students believe that sex education in school makes it easier for them to talk to their adolescents about sex. Also, 92% of adolescents report that they want both to talk to their parents about sex and to have comprehensive in-school sex education.

With over 600,000 teenage pregnancy, 80% unwanted and 19 million cases of STD, the need for sex education should be obvious. With 29% of the parents not even talking to their children about sex and most of the remainder providing nothing more than warnings about pregnancy and STD, the only alternative is the schools..

Sex education - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
11 Facts About Sex Education in the U.S. Do Something

Additional problem with any sex-ed in school is regardless of how much information you give to kids, they're still 'hatching' out into a society decidely anti-sex. Current sexual paradigm is the same one we've had since the 50s. Sex waits until marriage, is for procreation, casual sex is sinful. Until that sort of thinking changes, sex-ed is fairly redundant. Without a modernized paradign where consensual recreational sex is fine, teaching kids about sex is redundant. Just gonna create confusion and guilt where there wouldn't be any absent such education. "We learned all about sex in school. But we're not supposed to have it." That's like showing kids candy of every description then telling them they can't have any and will go to hell if they sneak any.

Well, obviously I disagree with your view on sex education. Teen pregnancy has been falling steady for 20 years which parallels the increase in sex education. There're good studies that show that sex education does reduce the spread of STD.

However, I certain agree that sex paradigms need to change. The belief that sexual activity should be kept secret, not a subject for conversation does tremendous harm to young people. Parent's reluctance to discuss sex openly, teaches their kids that they should keep sexual activity a secret. When sexual abused occurs or when kids find themselves in sexual situations they can't handle, they have no one to turn to for help.

I'm not an advocate of abstinence only sex education because it's goal is simply to keep kids from having sex before marriage which in most cases isn't successful. So when kids decide to have sex they lack the information on birth control, STD protection, and an understanding of physical and emotional aspects of sexual intercourse.

However, giving kids a green light for recreational sex is not in their best interest. Adolescents can be as mature as a 21 year old one minute and as childish as a 10 year old the next. They simply don't have the maturity to deal with subjects such as birth control, pregnancy, abortion, parenting, sexual dysfunctions, inability to satisfy their partner, and most importantly knowing the difference between sex and love.

Last edited:
Dear Flopper:

2nd Grade

5th Grade

64% of the students in the US will be taught sex education twice during their 12 years in school, usually once in middle school and once in high school for a total of 40 hours of instruction. This is .3% of their class time. That's not much time to devote to what teens consider one of the most important subject in their lives. It's certainly not a huge massive curriculum. By comparison, a one semester elective such as cooking or digital photography will use over twice as much class time as the total amount of sex education an average student will receive in 12 years of school.

According to SIECUS, the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, 93% of adults they surveyed support sexuality education in high school and 84% support it in junior high school. In fact, 88% of parents of junior high school students and 80% of parents of high school students believe that sex education in school makes it easier for them to talk to their adolescents about sex. Also, 92% of adolescents report that they want both to talk to their parents about sex and to have comprehensive in-school sex education.

With over 600,000 teenage pregnancy, 80% unwanted and 19 million cases of STD, the need for sex education should be obvious. With 29% of the parents not even talking to their children about sex and most of the remainder providing nothing more than warnings about pregnancy and STD, the only alternative is the schools..

I support it too, just not in so much depth. I don't see any need to go beyond the safety aspects of sex.

2nd Grade

5th Grade

I support it too, just not in so much depth. I don't see any need to go beyond the safety aspects of sex.

^^^
I should be more clear and say for 10-year-olds. If they were in high school, I wouldn't have a problem with this, some of it in middle school too, but 5th graders? Too young, IMO. They will just think it's funny anyways. Lol.

All I know is that if I was the parent of a 10-year-old who was going to that school and I read about teaching the kids about anal sex? I'm pretty sure I would be just a bit upset. :ack-1:

Well, obviously I disagree with your view on sex education. Teen pregnancy has been falling steady for 20 years which parallels the increase in sex education. There're good studies that show that sex education does reduce the spread of STD.

However, I certain agree that sex paradigms need to change. The belief that sexual activity should be kept secret, not a subject for conversation does tremendous harm to young people. Parent's reluctance to discuss sex openly, teaches their kids that they should keep sexual activity a secret. When sexual abused occurs or when kids find themselves in sexual situations they can't handle, they have no one to turn to for help.

I'm not an advocate of abstinence only sex education because it's goal is simply to keep kids from having sex before marriage which in most cases isn't successful. So when kids decide to have sex they lack the information on birth control, STD protection, and an understanding of physical and emotional aspects of sexual intercourse.

However, giving kids a green light for recreational sex is not in their best interest. Adolescents can be as mature as a 21 year old one minute and as childish as a 10 year old the next. They simply don't have the maturity to deal with subjects such as birth control, pregnancy, abortion, parenting, sexual dysfunctions, inability to satisfy their partner, and most importantly knowing the difference between sex and love.

Have seen pleanty of those 'wildest video' shows with adults acting very much like children so wouldn't say age has much to do with maturity :)

Biologically, human beings are 'ready for sex' when ever they hit menarch (aka puberty.) Every other animal species begins mating then except our's. We've overcomplicated something very simple with religion and lots of abstract philisophical musings on sexuality. As a governed society though we need to balance nature with cold, hard, practicality. Too tolerant and you end up with a diseased population. Too restrictive and instead of informing people with what they need to know you simply ensure it's all hidden and since it's going on anyway, now it's going on sans potentially life-saving information. Finding the middle ground is what's needed since societies have to impose rules on those they govern. Be great if we could give kids whatever they're ready for on a case by case basis, but that's not what government does. Have to devise something that applies to all but fairly.

I don't know what the answers are. But I know how I feel hearing 5th graders and anal sex - too young/early. :) Educating adults about sex is difficult enough. Will stick to that and let those braver than I tackle the education of younglings. :)

2nd Grade

5th Grade

^^^
I should be more clear and say for 10-year-olds. If they were in high school, I wouldn't have a problem with this, some of it in middle school too, but 5th graders? Too young, IMO. They will just think it's funny anyways. Lol.

All I know is that if I was the parent of a 10-year-old who was going to that school and I read about teaching the kids about anal sex? I'm pretty sure I would be just a bit upset. :ack-1:
In your opinion, what sex education topics should be taught to a 10 year old?

2nd Grade

5th Grade

^^^

In your opinion, what sex education topics should be taught to a 10 year old?

I already told you that. Safety, proper way to use a condom, the risks you take when you decide to have sex, how children that age would be BEST to remain abstinent until they find a person that they actually care about, and the basics about differences between boys and girls, those kinds of things.

They should teach the children that sex is something special that isn't to be shared with just anyone and that it should be something they save for a person they love and respect. That sex comes with very serious consequences, not just physical ones, but emotional ones and, at times, even mental ones.

As a high school teacher I think parents/adults would be SHOCKED if they heard what the students know/do.

As a high school teacher I think parents/adults would be SHOCKED if they heard what the students know/do.
That's very true. Parent's approach to sex education is usually based on what they were told as children. If they knew what their sweet little darlings were saying and doing outside of the home they just might change their attitude toward sex education.

Teaching abstinence only is fine for the kids that remain virgins, but the fact is most kids will not remain celibate. In fact, a large percentage will have multiple sexual encounters with different partners. For these kids abstinent only sex education is worst than worthless.

Forum List

Back