"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."

Nole

Aug 14, 2012
this is a quote, by a Republican named Oliver Wendell Holmes.

what has happened to the GOP since? why do they support tax breaks for the rich?

Im a nut for our past history when it comes to politics. And I feel this quote should remind the GOPers here that their history is a different one than what they try and portray currently. posers.

I have no problem paying taxes. They are a necessary evil that WE ALL SHOULD BE PAYING.

I just have a problem with those that don't pay any Fed taxes at all. They reap the benefits of living in the good ol U. S. of A. but have no skin in the game.

As for the "evil" rich. I wish there were more of em. Those "evil" rich pay about 60% if the Fed taxes as it is.

I think they pay "their fair share" no problem. Its the 49% who pay no Fed taxes that I have a problem with.

Taxes?? You bet. They are needed to keep the country running. To bad everyone doesn't have skin in the game.

the rich are not evil, if anything they are good with money. I celebrate that fact! trust me.

And I think 50% of the nation not paying in needs to be addressed. Only if.... and its a huge if, all sales taxes is dropped. See, these people who have "no skin in the game" do pay taxes. these people who are not making a lot of money do pay into FICA, SS, and so on, also sales taxes when they buy goods.

I would like to see federal budget cuts and the Bush tax cuts done away with. This would be a good start and a compromise. A good place to begin dealing with our issues.

If you have something to add, please do. To argue the schematics of whos tax cuts they are is a folly at best.

If you can not pull your head out of a delusional ideology then please move on to a different thread.

thank you Claudette for a reasonable response. Ill take note of you for later chats! Its nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Then why call them Bush tax cuts ?

for fvcks sake. ill call them what ever you like. I could care less. Just try and add substance, unbiased info and conversation like Claudette did. Please and thank you.

"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."

Here's another.....​

"There's nowhere else in the world, nowhere else in the world, that people can accrue the kind of fortunes that happen here. And that's because of the kind of country we have.

And the kind of country we have is a function of the taxes that we pay to provide security, we have a stable market, you can predict next week will be pretty much like the week before.

We have the most immense investment being made by our government in advancing businesses by supporting the enormous research industry that's going on in this country. And it's that piece of government expenditure that which has everything to do with the health and robustness of our economy."

Then why call them Bush tax cuts ?

for fvcks sake. ill call them what ever you like. I could care less. Just try and add substance, unbiased info and conversation like Claudette did. Please and thank you.

Substance = the appropriateness of tax cuts as a remedy.

Obama wants to end them for the good of the nation, yet extended them.

Lack of substance = Bush's fault.

what has happened to the GOP since? why do they support tax breaks for the rich?

Im a nut for our past history when it comes to politics. And I feel this quote should remind the GOPers here that their history is a different one than what they try and portray currently. posers.
I can afford(and have) private security. You can't ? That's not my problem.

No. That's not MY attitude,It's your masters......altho I do have private security:cool:

Corruption is also a price one pays for civilized society.

Curtailment of individual freedoms also a price pays one pays for civilized society.

Civilized life isn't without some drawbacks and some costs.

So it behooves citizens to see to it that those costs don't exceed its benefits.

When it does?

Well then what moral obligation do citizens have to bear those burdens?

So this is where police states come into play.

Those exist where the cost of that particular civilization are so high that the state must impose its version of "civilization" on a reluctant population.

Last edited:

I think the quote is perfectly reasonable. The question to me is not the validity of the taxation, it's the usage of the money itself - where it goes and with how much efficiency.

When my tax money is spent addicting people to more of my tax money, in buying votes, in buying influence, in financing the invasion and destruction of other sovereign countries, then yeah, I get a little fucking cranky.

Show me that our "leaders" are at least TRYING to insure that our tax money is being spent efficiently, honestly and wisely, and I'm good. Because if that were actually being done, rates of taxation would probably be acceptable to most of us.

Last edited:
I have no problem paying taxes. They are a necessary evil that WE ALL SHOULD BE PAYING.

I just have a problem with those that don't pay any Fed taxes at all. They reap the benefits of living in the good ol U. S. of A. but have no skin in the game.

As for the "evil" rich. I wish there were more of em. Those "evil" rich pay about 60% if the Fed taxes as it is.

I think they pay "their fair share" no problem. Its the 49% who pay no Fed taxes that I have a problem with.

Taxes?? You bet. They are needed to keep the country running. To bad everyone doesn't have skin in the game.

So you were opposed to the Bush tax cuts? You're ok with your taxes increasing so that those who make less than you will also have to pay? I'm fine with that for myself as well if that's what it takes to get us on track. Is that what you support?

Forum List

Back