Tax Refunds Will Be Cut For Aca Recipients

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Remember, they had to PASS IT TO SEE WHAT WAS IN IT

snip:
A significant benefit of the Affordable Care Act is the opportunity to receive money-saving tax credits up front to cut the overall cost of health insurance, but now hundreds of thousands of consumers could owe back some of that money next April.

Those affected took advance payments of the premium tax credit for health insurance. Some married couples could owe $600 or $1,500 or $2,500 or even more.
It might feel like a raw deal for some who are already suffocating under the escalating costs of health insurance.
"Health insurance is confusing enough, and now they're adding the complexities of the Tax Code," said Lorena Bencsik, a member of the Michigan Association of CPAs and owner of Prime Numbers in Ferndale.

When you file that 2014 tax return next year, the Internal Revenue Service will compare your actual income for the year with the amount you estimated when applying for exchange-based health insurance under the health insurance law.
The next open enrollment period begins Nov. 15. But notices were sent this week to some consumers whose incomes don't match up to such things as 2012 tax return information.
On Monday, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said at least 279,000 households reportedincomes that still don't matchwhat the government has on record. Supporting documents are needed by Sept. 30.
What can you do to avoid tax-time problems?

Experts say people need to realize early on that they should report changes in income and other changes in one's life, such as a marriage, throughout the year. See HealthCare.gov to report"income and life changes."

Of course, many people may have no idea that they'd need to report changes.

TheIRS put out some more detailson the issue mid-month.

all of it here:
Tax refunds will be cut for ACA recipients

This HAS to be some sort of mistake. Surely you mean "Tax Refund CHECKS will be cut and SENT to those who signed up for ACA".

Amirite?

Remember, they had to PASS IT TO SEE WHAT WAS IN IT

snip:
A significant benefit of the Affordable Care Act is the opportunity to receive money-saving tax credits up front to cut the overall cost of health insurance, but now hundreds of thousands of consumers could owe back some of that money next April.

Those affected took advance payments of the premium tax credit for health insurance. Some married couples could owe $600 or $1,500 or $2,500 or even more.
It might feel like a raw deal for some who are already suffocating under the escalating costs of health insurance.
"Health insurance is confusing enough, and now they're adding the complexities of the Tax Code," said Lorena Bencsik, a member of the Michigan Association of CPAs and owner of Prime Numbers in Ferndale.

When you file that 2014 tax return next year, the Internal Revenue Service will compare your actual income for the year with the amount you estimated when applying for exchange-based health insurance under the health insurance law.
The next open enrollment period begins Nov. 15. But notices were sent this week to some consumers whose incomes don't match up to such things as 2012 tax return information.
On Monday, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said at least 279,000 households reportedincomes that still don't matchwhat the government has on record. Supporting documents are needed by Sept. 30.
What can you do to avoid tax-time problems?

Experts say people need to realize early on that they should report changes in income and other changes in one's life, such as a marriage, throughout the year. See HealthCare.gov to report"income and life changes."

Of course, many people may have no idea that they'd need to report changes.

TheIRS put out some more detailson the issue mid-month.

all of it here:
Tax refunds will be cut for ACA recipients
But I thought Republicans were complaining because income wasn't verified when people signed up for Obamacare

Now, poor Stephanie is whining because some people earned more than they claimed and have to pay it back

I am a certified Affordable Care Act counselor, because of my job with my county. The lower refunds are going to happen to people that underestimate their earnings for 2014. When people signed up in 2013 and early 2014, they had to estimate what they thought they would make this entire calendar year.

Some people were fired, laid off, etc, causing that estimate to be higher than projected. Some just flat out lied also, Im sure.

What I would tell people that I helped sign up was to forecast their earnings a little higher than expected, that way, if they made more than forecast, they get the money back on their return in the form of a tax credit

I am a certified Affordable Care Act counselor, because of my job with my county. The lower refunds are going to happen to people that underestimate their earnings for 2014. When people signed up in 2013 and early 2014, they had to estimate what they thought they would make this entire calendar year.

Some people were fired, laid off, etc, causing that estimate to be higher than projected. Some just flat out lied also, Im sure.

What I would tell people that I helped sign up was to forecast their earnings a little higher than expected, that way, if they made more than forecast, they get the money back on their return in the form of a tax credit
What percentage of ACA counselors have your training?

not sure, I would guess it varies from state to state (I live in Ohio)

My "training" wasn't too complex, but I did have to learn about the ACA and how the tax credits work, etc. The training was all online, and included quizzes after each portion of what I needed to know. Here in Ohio, people could go to their county's Jobs & Family Services agency and get assistance with applying. I'm assuming at least one person in all 88 of Ohio's counties had to have someone certified. I do know whenever I had to assist someone with applying, I had to list my name, where I worked, etc, as a sort of authorized rep.

Forum List

Back