Tax Burden of Top 1% Now Exceeds That of Bottom 95%

So let me see if I've got this right........Over the last three decades the amount of WEALTH controlled by the top 10% has increased dramatically yet the average WAGE has gone down (less buying power) for the rest of us......Seems fair huh?

What do you define as fair. It seems to call the above unfair you must rely on one particular faulty assumption. The the EFFORT involved in obtaining that wealth. The effort in maing good financial decisions and putting yourself in a better financial place. Your above statement completely ignores that, proving that the left really isn't about equal opportunity. They are about equal outcomes.

What "EFFORT" does a fifth generation MILLIONAIRE put forth to justify his wealth? He was BORN INTO THAT WEALTH!!! It always seems to be the third gen that takes the company their grandfather built to bring it down. Look at Bill Dillard.....The guy is a fricken MORON. He is bringing his Grandfathers co to it's knees. Sad very sad.

Newby......I guess I am an isolationist at heart.....We need to take care of our own back yard first before we worry about the rest of the world.

So, you think that someone who inherits their money rather than earn it themselve should have it taken away because you don't see that as being 'fair'?

I'd be an isolationist as well, but that just does not fit in with reality. That would be cutting the nose off to spite the face. As I said, how would American companies compete on a global market? That is the reality, and you haven't provided a solution.

I would say that they recieve far more than their fair share of the nations wealth. And if we cannot achieve a fairer distribution of the wealth in our current system, then we should use taxes to acheive that distribution. And if we get more people that believe that voting, that is exactly what we will do.

Fairer distribution of wealth? What does this mean? Seems like you mean, I sit on my ass and collect checks generated by the confiscation of your hard-earned money.

What "EFFORT" does a fifth generation MILLIONAIRE put forth to justify his wealth? He was BORN INTO THAT WEALTH!!! It always seems to be the third gen that takes the company their grandfather built to bring it down. Look at Bill Dillard.....The guy is a fricken MORON. He is bringing his Grandfathers co to it's knees. Sad very sad.

SO???? My parents left me a fourplex.. am I some how not entitled to this in your eyes? They bought this with their hard earned money.... what the hell is that to you???

You sound like a useless bum with a bad jealousy complex. You're like the kid who is mad cause Johnny got new bike and you didn't... grow up.

US Wealth Distribution
One way to ‘see’ the distribution of wealth in the U.S. is to imagine a group of 100 people who have a $100 between them. Evenly distributed each would have one dollar of wealth. Alas, that is far from the actual distribution. According to the most recent study, Currents and Undercurrents, by the Survey of Consumer Finance (Federal Reserve, Department of Treasury, 2006) wealth is distributed accordingly:

50 individuals at the bottom have a nickel. ($0.05 times 50 = $2.50)

The next 40 each have $0.70 of wealth (40 times $0.70 - $28.00).

The next 9 each have $4.00 of wealth (nine times $4.00 = $36.00)

The last richest individual has $33.40 (one time $33.40).

Combined, you have $100.00.

So.. where's the money going to come from when the Statists have bankrupted the wealthy? The 20 hour/week Starbucks employees? The McDonalds workers? The paperboy?

Too funny.... how clueless are these people... they demand that they live off the producers and then try to bankrupt the same people they live off. They are a virus trying to kill off their host.

The 1% is shrinking. And the burden will be put on the 5%. Then it will be the 10%. Then the 50%... It's ok to hate the rich until the govt. decides that anyone who makes over $50,000 is rich. NJ just raised property taxes on people making over $75K. $75K in Mississippi may be rich. Not in Jersey.

We have a subchapter S corporation. Our salary is not over $250K, but our business income is (or was). We have lost half our investments in the stock market. No one is paying our mortgage or our kids' college tuition. But fortunately we know how to live within our means. I'll be damned if I have to pay the bills of my next door neighbor who likes expensive wine and drives a nicer car than us, but doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Redistribution of weath is bullshit. Uber-rich will always find ways to hide their wealth. Our poor people are fat. And small businesses and the middle class will always get stuck with the bill. It's just a matter of how high that bill will be.

That's what they did with income tax since 1913. They first placed it on the top 1%. Next was top 5%. Finally ending up where we are at with 75% paying income taxes (granted a chunk of them get it back in refunds).

Well well well already with the insults huh NOLA? Actually I work full time and go to school FULL TIME!!! I work my a$$ off so you can stick that condesending sh!t right back up your a$$ hole k pal!!??

You deserve to be insulted... you sit on these boards and prior to that the MSNBC boards INSULTING everyone who you feel has somehow surpassed you on the wealth chain. I worked full time and went to school full-time too.. so fucking what? You want a medal?

Grow up and stop being such a baby.

Hey Angel tell me how our helth care system works........We spend FAR more than any other country yet we are near the bottom as far as RESULTS. Don't ya think if people felt they could go in to a doctor EARLY when their illness can be treated much more easily with a much higher rate of success that that would be good for our country?

Hey Angel tell me how our helth care system works........We spend FAR more than any other country yet we are near the bottom as far as RESULTS. Don't ya think if people felt they could go in to a doctor EARLY when their illness can be treated much more easily with a much higher rate of success that that would be good for our country?

We are not at the bottom, you're believing what you're told w/o questioning it. The U.S. is ranked number one in all of the most important areas according to the WHO. Have you ever looked at it?

Oh so NOLA how about you tell me what name you posted under on the MSNBC board? I guess you felt the need to change your handle I DIDN'T so who is trying to hide from their rep on the MSNBC board? Oh and by the way I NEVER draw first blood but since you made it personal I will be more than happy to give you back exactly what you deserve. I don't think you want to f with me because I will f'ing sweep the floor with you.

We spend FAR more than any other country yet we are near the bottom as far as RESULTS.

The air's a bit thin on Panet Obama i see.

We are not at the bottom, you're believing what you're told w/o questioning it. The U.S. is ranked number one in all of the most important areas according to the WHO. Have you ever looked at it?

Really? Infant mortality.......Life span? I have seen the WHO report and we rank VERY poorly based on the HUGE amounts of money we spend.

I don't think you want to f with me because I will f'ing sweep the floor with you.

Ok Beavis. Whatever. You couldn't sweep the floor with a broom.. you're too lazy... that much is obvious from your constant posting that you want whatever you can take from somebody else. What are you studying in school? Poli Sci or some other such nonsense?

Well I see you already know what I study as I have never hidden that fact. I am Poli-Sci with an International Relations emphasis. And yes I could and I WILL sweep the floor with your a$$ if you insist on going that route. Remember YOU are the one who started this little battle but you can count on the fact that I will end it. You have NEVER been able to stand up against any poster with facts and well reasoned arguments.

So let me see if I've got this right........Over the last three decades the amount of WEALTH controlled by the top 10% has increased dramatically yet the average WAGE has gone down (less buying power) for the rest of us......Seems fair huh?

What do you define as fair. It seems to call the above unfair you must rely on one particular faulty assumption. The the EFFORT involved in obtaining that wealth. The effort in maing good financial decisions and putting yourself in a better financial place. Your above statement completely ignores that, proving that the left really isn't about equal opportunity. They are about equal outcomes.

I guess you would have a point if that was how most wealthy people became wealthy. Except that isn't even close to accurate.

Forum List

Back