Tax Burden of Top 1% Now Exceeds That of Bottom 95%

I would say that they recieve far more than their fair share of the nations wealth. And if we cannot achieve a fairer distribution of the wealth in our current system, then we should use taxes to acheive that distribution. And if we get more people that believe that voting, that is exactly what we will do.

Is it handed to them on a silver platter too? Why don't you go out and earn your own damn money and quit living off of the backs of others.

Just so I make sure I know who I am dealing with here.........You do understand the diff between WEALTH and INCOME right? The ULTRA WEALTHY don't work......They don't build things........They DON'Tcreate jobs.........They DESTROY JOBS for their fellow Americans because they are greedy SOBs. Enough is NEVER enough for the top 1%!

Just so I make sure I know who I am dealing with here.........You do understand the diff between WEALTH and INCOME right? The ULTRA WEALTHY don't work......They don't build things........They DON'Tcreate jobs.........They DESTROY JOBS for their fellow Americans because they are greedy SOBs. Enough is NEVER enough for the top 1%!

Would you please be more specific? You're talking in generalities. Could you explain how they destroy jobs?

So let me see if I've got this right........Over the last three decades the amount of WEALTH controlled by the top 10% has increased dramatically yet the average WAGE has gone down (less buying power) for the rest of us......Seems fair huh?

Could you please provide where you are getting your information?

They don't personally but the money they invest does.

An anechdotal example of the redistribution of wealth

My father had a highschool education and went to work for Bell Telephone after he graduated. He worked as a lineman, climbed poles and repaired outages his whole life. On that salary (my mom didn't work) he raised four kids, put them all through college and bought a three bedroom house. He was able to afford health insurance, food, clothing, utilities, two cars all on one salary. He retired at 60 and lives comfortably.

I graduated from college with an engineering degree, have two kids, working to send my kids through college have a house the same size as my fathers and enjoy a similar standard of living.

The point is that I have acheived a similar standard of living as my father, with greater education, fewer kids and a wife who works. There has been a definite redistribution of wealth in my lifetime. Someone of my fathers educational background could never achieve the same standard of living doing similar work. Meanwhile, the ultra-wealthy have retained a bigger slice of the pie while workers struggle to buy a house, buy healthcare, send their kids to college and retire at a reasonable age.

The idea behind "trickle down" economics is if we reduce the tax burden on the wealthy they will build more factories and employ more people.......THE PROBLEM is they are building factories all right in FOREIGN COUNTRIES!!

And what happens whenever you force them to stay here (which is what I assume you're advocating) and they have to compete on a global market with companies producing the same product at a much lower cost b/c their labor costs are much lower? How do you solve that?

Can't post a link until I have posted 15 times.......Should be able to get it to ya pretty soon.

Check out this site Newby........By the way how ya doin? I just started here because MSN shut down. Could you explain the power rankings?

I'm doing well, Cold, in spite of all the nasty wealthy people.... :lol:

Those are reputation points. Do you see the thumb up/thumb down symbol above everyone's posts? You can either pick the thumb up and add to their reputation for a given post, or choose the thumb down and take away from their repuation points. It gives you the option of positive or negative rep whenever you click on the thumb icon. I think it's explained in one of the other areas of the board. The more rep that you have, the more rep you give (or take away) from others whenever you give out rep. Of course, if you negative rep someone, you're more than likely to get the same in return. :lol:

Welcome to the board.

Last edited:
So let me see if I've got this right........Over the last three decades the amount of WEALTH controlled by the top 10% has increased dramatically yet the average WAGE has gone down (less buying power) for the rest of us......Seems fair huh?

What do you define as fair. It seems to call the above unfair you must rely on one particular faulty assumption. The the EFFORT involved in obtaining that wealth. The effort in maing good financial decisions and putting yourself in a better financial place. Your above statement completely ignores that, proving that the left really isn't about equal opportunity. They are about equal outcomes.

You're right, Bill Gates, Donald Trump, they don't have any employees at all.

When the only place the lower 95% of Americans can afford to shop is Wal-Mart then we are DONE as a country. The fact is we already have FAR too much wealth in too few hands and it is NOT good for our country.

And your solution would be to take it from those who have it, rather then get those who don't to actually earn it.

The Statist is taught to divide people into class's......and the ignorant fall for it.

The division of the classes is the inevitable outcome of the systems we have in place.

Recognizing that laws and policies effect those classes differently is nothing more than understanding reality, OZZ.

When, for example, people start complaining that the rich pay a huge share of the taxes overall, does that make them ignorant, or merely well informed?

Class differences exist.

Denying that they exist is silly.

So, you advocate the use of them for the gain of political power then as well?

I'm not clear I understand the question.

Do you mean if I recognize that different policies effect people in difference economic classes very differently, I shouldn't note that the policy effects these classes differently?

Why on earth would I pretend not to notice that?

I note, for example, that the very wealthy pay most of the Federal taxes because that's the way our tax system is structured.

Does that make me a commie or something..noticing the classism of the system in place?

What do you define as fair. It seems to call the above unfair you must rely on one particular faulty assumption. The the EFFORT involved in obtaining that wealth. The effort in maing good financial decisions and putting yourself in a better financial place. Your above statement completely ignores that, proving that the left really isn't about equal opportunity. They are about equal outcomes.

What "EFFORT" does a fifth generation MILLIONAIRE put forth to justify his wealth? He was BORN INTO THAT WEALTH!!! It always seems to be the third gen that takes the company their grandfather built to bring it down. Look at Bill Dillard.....The guy is a fricken MORON. He is bringing his Grandfathers co to it's knees. Sad very sad.

Newby......I guess I am an isolationist at heart.....We need to take care of our own back yard first before we worry about the rest of the world.

The division of the classes is the inevitable outcome of the systems we have in place.

Recognizing that laws and policies effect those classes differently is nothing more than understanding reality, OZZ.

When, for example, people start complaining that the rich pay a huge share of the taxes overall, does that make them ignorant, or merely well informed?

Class differences exist.

Denying that they exist is silly.

So, you advocate the use of them for the gain of political power then as well?

I'm not clear I understand the question.

Do you mean if I recognize that different policies effect people in difference economic classes very differently, I shouldn't note that the policy effects these classes differently?

Why on earth would I pretend not to notice that?

I note, for example, that the very wealthy pay most of the Federal taxes because that's the way our tax system is structured.

Does that make me a commie or something..noticing the classism of the system in place?

I meant more that politicians use the classes against each other in order to gain votes. The Dems are pros at it, tell the poor how unfair their lives are and run on the promise that you're going to take from the rich and give to them. The republican party is the party of the 'rich'. Tell the illegal immigrants that you feel their pain and will support amnesty across the board and grant them citizenship, etc... They prostitute themselves for votes by choosing to advocate for which ever group will get them more votes, completely disregarding what is good for the people that voted them in or what is good for the country as a whole.

Forum List

Back