Target is banning books. Time for the Bud Light treatment.

So you don't have a problem with that? A business can refuse to make or sell any product they want, right?
Of course I’m okay with that. Mandating that businesses have to stock products they don’t want to sell isn’t just anti-business, it’s authoritarian and anti-American

You’re making it political. It’s not.

Every store on the face of the planet caters more to some groups than to others to varying degrees. Stores can’t be everything to everyone.
But it is political, blatantly!

On other hand, true enough on merchant freedom of choice in marketing.* But also the reason some stores/chains don't get my business since this customer is equally free to avoid~boycott those stores/chains whose politics don't match my own.

*- Unfortunately fascists Left doesn't support the flip side of the issue that any business/store is free to decline doing business with any customer of their choice. These are two sides of the same coin, but unlawful Left wants everything only their way, no matter what Rights and Freedoms are trampled.

Last edited:
Book banning, a form of censorship, occurs when private individuals, government officials, or organizations remove books from libraries, school reading lists, or bookstore shelves because they object to their content, ideas, or themes.​

Ban: to prohibit especially by legal means (emphasis added)​

Levin says Target is banning his book because of its title, i.e., content. Yep, that's a book ban. Levin's books are profitable; Target could make some scratch from them. It's not about marketing for them. It's about "feelings." Target is banning his book.

So you agree that a business can refuse to make or sell a product if they want to, right?
You keep coming back to this hypothetical question.

I get the impression that you’re trying to twist it into some sort of equivalency with denying service to certain groups of people. Its not the same thing.

Not stocking a product isn't denying service to anyone. People who would be the sort of people to buy this book are still 100% free to shop at Target to their heart’s content. They just won’t find this book because Target doesn’t carry it. That’s all there is to it. You’re blowing it out of proportion.

Book banning, a form of censorship, occurs when private individuals, government officials, or organizations remove books from libraries, school reading lists, or bookstore shelves because they object to their content, ideas, or themes.​

Ban: to prohibit especially by legal means (emphasis added)​

Levin says Target is banning his book because of its title, i.e., content. Yep, that's a book ban. Levin's books are profitable; Target could make some scratch from them. It's not about marketing for them. It's about "feelings." Target is banning his book.
You’re using the word in a ridiculously broad sense. Follow that logic and every book a store chooses not to stock is “banned”.

Holy shit. Target has really gone woke. They ban books but they didn't ban kids coloring books during pride month?
Which clearly shows Target is engaging in politically motivated and focused marketing, and another reason I no longer shop at Target.

We've seen similar outrage and boycott from the Left regarding Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-a.

Apparently, shelf space is not the reason refusing to stock. Content is.

That's the very definition of a ban.
I'm not privy to management thinking, but Target has nowhere near shelf space for books like say Nobles.
One way to confirm if it might be a ban would be to ask customer service at your local Target if they will order a copy for you to pick up there.

I'm not privy to management thinking, but Target has nowhere near shelf space for books like say Nobles.
One way to confirm if it might be a ban would be to ask customer service at your local Target if they will order a copy for you to pick up there.
The OP already establishes that shelf space is irrelevant.

Holy shit. Target has really gone woke. They ban books but they didn't ban kids coloring books during pride month?
Note that was coloring books and clothing that supported and promoted "Gay(LGBQT-etc.) Pride".
"Gay(LGBQT-etc.) Pride" being expressions of sexual activity and/or deviancy, Target was clearly supporting that and engaged in focused marketing, to a select minority social group.
One major reason I no longer shop at Target.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back