Tar Balls in Key West

Now they're saying these tar balls were not from the BP leak.

(Still, it's only a matter of time, I'm sure...)

- The U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday that tar balls found in Key West, Fla. in recent days don't match the chemical composition of oil leaking from the site of the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. A sampling of tar balls discovered on beaches at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Fla., Smathers Beach in Key West, Big Pine Key, Fla., and Loggerhead Key in the Dry Tortugas National Park, Fla. were flown on Tuesday by a Coast Guard jet to New London, Conn. for testing and analysis. "The results of those tests conclusively show that the tar balls collected from Florida Keys beaches do not match the type of oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico," the Coast Guard said. "The source of the tar balls remains unknown at this time."
Coast Guard: Key West tar balls not from BP spill - MarketWatch

Now they're saying these tar balls were not from the BP leak.

(Still, it's only a matter of time, I'm sure...)

- The U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday that tar balls found in Key West, Fla. in recent days don't match the chemical composition of oil leaking from the site of the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. A sampling of tar balls discovered on beaches at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Fla., Smathers Beach in Key West, Big Pine Key, Fla., and Loggerhead Key in the Dry Tortugas National Park, Fla. were flown on Tuesday by a Coast Guard jet to New London, Conn. for testing and analysis. "The results of those tests conclusively show that the tar balls collected from Florida Keys beaches do not match the type of oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico," the Coast Guard said. "The source of the tar balls remains unknown at this time."
Coast Guard: Key West tar balls not from BP spill - MarketWatch

>>

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. Coast Guard said the slick from the BP Plc /quotes/comstock/13*!bp/quotes/nls/bp (BP 45.71, +0.33, +0.73%) oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is nearing the Loop Current, a stream of ocean water that moves around the south side of Florida and into the Atlantic Ocean. "Satellite imagery indicates that the main bulk of the oil is dozens of miles away from the Loop Current, but that a tendril of light oil has been transported within close proximity," the Coast Guard said in its update late Tuesday. "NOAA is conducting ongoing aerial observations to determine with certainty whether or not the oil has actually entered the Loop Current, and continues engage experts within and outside government to develop long-term oil movement forecasts." The area now close to fishing represents 45,728 square miles, which is slightly less than 19% of Gulf of Mexico federal waters.

Coast Guard says oil spill nearing Loop Current - MarketWatch

Thanks Val! So, if these tar balls are not from the Gulf, where did they come from? :eusa_eh:

It is a matter of time before the monster oil blums begin to drift.

Thanks Val! So, if these tar balls are not from the Gulf, where did they come from? :eusa_eh:

They say minimal amounts of these tar balls turn up every year from other sources like planes and boats and residuals from the rigs, etc...

I grew up in Santa Barbara and the natural seepage offshore produced tar balls all of the time. That is where these are coming from as well, natural seepage. Anybody who would claim that they come from watercraft or ships (other than if there is a shipwreck of course) is a flat out liar.

o shut up lies....i could be wrong....i dont think its gonna be today...but i will admit...i could be wrong...

and you can still just shut the fuck up...

okay i have heard the siphon thing is only getting about 20% of the leekage....the bp has way way underestimated the spillage etc....but at this point it is hard to know the truth...but the oil will not just disappear....it will turn up on someone's shores..and what if it does make it into international waters.....

and there is still the question of atlantis the offshore well that is considered more dangerous by enviromental groups.

o shut up lies....i could be wrong....i dont think its gonna be today...but i will admit...i could be wrong...

and you can still just shut the fuck up...

Kiss my ass, boningstrolls.

You ARE wrong . . . unless, of course, the Coast Guard is "in on" whatever retarded conspiracy theory you liberoidal liars will have to develop to claim that the FL tar balls are related to the BP Gulf Oil Rig leak.

Take your own stupid advice. Stop embarrassing yourself. Shut the fuck up your own self.

Best and warmest regards,

your pal,

Liability

:thup:

I grew up in Santa Barbara and the natural seepage offshore produced tar balls all of the time. That is where these are coming from as well, natural seepage. Anybody who would claim that they come from watercraft or ships (other than if there is a shipwreck of course) is a flat out liar.

Several news sources have said as much. They could be misinformed reporters but that doesn't mean they're LYING. Petroleum in the ocean can come from several sources and the ones they found in Key West yesterday have been chemically determined to NOT be from the big leak, which is the point.

The Coast Guard says tar balls that floated ashore in the Florida Keys aren't linked to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

A report released today says tests by a Coast Guard laboratory in New London, Conn., show the tar balls don't match the type of oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill. The source of the tar balls isn't known. Tar balls can occur naturally or come from other sources such as ships.

Twenty were found Monday and several others Tuesday.

Meanwhile,scientists waited anxiously today to see where a massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico might be heading as efforts to contain the spill proved elusive.
Coast Guard: Fla. tar balls not from Gulf oil spill | delawareonline.com | The News Journal

>

What are tar balls, anyway?

They're potentially lethal. A tar ball can smother a seabird, spawning shrimp or mangrove root, experts say.

They're toxic.

``They're petroleum, just like gas. If you're siphoning gas and get some in your mouth, it's very toxic,'' says marine biologist Dr. Lynne Fieber.

They're nuisances.

``They can be as thick as roof tar. You step in them and they smush under your feet like peanut butter. The best way to get them off is baby oil, then Dawn detergent. I don't know why it's Dawn, but it is,'' says Fieber, an associate professor of marine biology at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in Key Biscayne.

Chemically, tar balls are natural byproducts of oil. The ones that arrived off the Florida Keys over the past two days are perhaps from the oil spewing out of the Gulf of Mexico seabed, or perhaps from other sources.

Toxic tar balls found in Florida Keys can be `as thick as roof tar' - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Several news sources have said as much. They could be misinformed reporters but that doesn't mean they're LYING. Petroleum in the ocean can come from several sources and the ones they found in Key West yesterday have been chemically determined to NOT be from the big leak, which is the point.

The Coast Guard says tar balls that floated ashore in the Florida Keys aren't linked to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

A report released today says tests by a Coast Guard laboratory in New London, Conn., show the tar balls don't match the type of oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill. The source of the tar balls isn't known. Tar balls can occur naturally or come from other sources such as ships.

Twenty were found Monday and several others Tuesday.

Meanwhile,scientists waited anxiously today to see where a massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico might be heading as efforts to contain the spill proved elusive.
Coast Guard: Fla. tar balls not from Gulf oil spill | delawareonline.com | The News Journal

>

They're potentially lethal. A tar ball can smother a seabird, spawning shrimp or mangrove root, experts say.

They're toxic.

``They're petroleum, just like gas. If you're siphoning gas and get some in your mouth, it's very toxic,'' says marine biologist Dr. Lynne Fieber.

They're nuisances.

``They can be as thick as roof tar. You step in them and they smush under your feet like peanut butter. The best way to get them off is baby oil, then Dawn detergent. I don't know why it's Dawn, but it is,'' says Fieber, an associate professor of marine biology at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in Key Biscayne.

Chemically, tar balls are natural byproducts of oil. The ones that arrived off the Florida Keys over the past two days are perhaps from the oil spewing out of the Gulf of Mexico seabed, or perhaps from other sources.

Toxic tar balls found in Florida Keys can be `as thick as roof tar' - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Hi Valerie,

Ships do not emit bunker fuel on a regular basis, in fact it results in huge fines when it occurs. Shipwrecks are the exception of course. But even mentioning that water craft and aircraft could be responsible without even mentioning the most likely source (99% probability) is lying by omission. Any reporter can make a single phone call (and most wouldn't even need to do that, talk to a local) and know that for a fact.

>

They're toxic.

They're nuisances.

Hi Valerie,

Ships do not emit bunker fuel on a regular basis, in fact it results in huge fines when it occurs. Shipwrecks are the exception of course. But even mentioning that water craft and aircraft could be responsible without even mentioning the most likely source (99% probability) is lying by omission. Any reporter can make a single phone call (and most wouldn't even need to do that, talk to a local) and know that for a fact.

Please educate us with your source then. :popcorn:

They say minimal amounts of these tar balls turn up every year from other sources like planes and boats and residuals from the rigs, etc...

Have to save it for posterity.

>

Hi Valerie,

Please educate us with your source then. :popcorn:

Your own words...where did they originate from?

"They say minimal amounts of these tar balls turn up every year from other sources like planes and boats and residuals from the rigs, etc... " Valerie post number 24

And of course just watch the news tonight.

Cheers and thanks for the popcorn!

Just watch the news tonight.

Oh my god!!! BP is destroying the reefs... teh beaches and sealife in and around Florida!!!

Oh my god... the humanity!!!

Oh wait...... Not from BP?

Carry on.

Forum List

Back