Tar Balls in Key West

They say minimal amounts of these tar balls turn up every year from other sources like planes and boats and residuals from the rigs, etc...

Have to save it for posterity.

Oh gawd. :lol: Go back and read the thread. :lol:

I'm asking for your source to the supposed FACT (besides your I grew up at band camp on the shore story) your claim to the FACT that reporters who say the sources of tarballs could be petroleum from ships or planes are flat out LIARS......?

Please provide your source that says tarballs do not also come from these things.

Have some more popcorn, I'll be back later to look for your linky. :popcorn:

You made the claim that tar balls came from airplanes and ships. You prove to us that that is the case. I allready have stated that tar balls are a cause of natural seepage and just to mak you feel better here is a link dealing with the Santa Barbara seepage.

County of SB: Energy Division

Now where's my soda!

when you have to use blue font to make a point you aint got nothing....

When you try to make a point by your petulant but always ineffective use of ad hominem, you "aint" got nuthin' either, old hag.

I'm 54.

See?

Not an issue.

And you thrive on the attention I have bestowed upon you.

You may be an old bag, but that doesn't mean you aren't an attention whore.

attention_whore4.jpg
--ACTUAL IMAGE OF BONINGSTROLLS

Hope you enjoyed the use of the blue color there. :lol:

Have to save it for posterity.

I'm asking for your source to the supposed FACT (besides your I grew up at band camp on the shore story) your claim to the FACT that reporters who say the sources of tarballs could be petroleum from ships or planes are flat out LIARS......?

Please provide your source that says tarballs do not also come from these things.

You made the claim that tar balls came from airplanes and ships. You prove to us that that is the case. I allready have stated that tar balls are a cause of natural seepage and just to mak you feel better here is a link dealing with the Santa Barbara seepage.

Now where's my soda!

:lol: Sorry, but you owe me a soda!

How 'bout let's look at the fact that all the oil from the BP well is sinking to the bottom due to chemical dispersants they have used and ask WHY........?

BP's drilling disaster is releasing massive quantities of oil into the Gulf of Mexico every day and, partially due to the use of dispersants, much of this oil is lingering below the surface in the water column. The daily projection maps which NOAA releases basically only track the surface slick, which is influenced primarily by the wind. On the other hand, the unknown quantity of crude below the surface is mostly being dispersed by tidal currents and the federal government and BP have released very little data on where this oil is ending up. Today in a briefing hosted by NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco, she indicated that there is evidence that some of this oil could soon enter the Gulf Loop current and reach the Florida Keys within five days.
Tar Balls Found in the Florida Keys | BP's Oil Drilling Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico | Blog

Nothing to see here! :eusa_whistle:

Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) on Wednesday lashed out at BP for hiding the true extent of its now four-week-old oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and demanded that the oil company and the Coast Guard make a live video feed from the source of the leak continuously available to the public.

The few videos BP has released so far have been short and of poor quality, but the footage of filthy plumes of oil and gas endlessly billowing into the Gulf's clear waters has nevertheless given the public a visceral sense of what's at stake -- and has given some scientists reason to believe that BP's 5,000-barrel estimate for daily flow is off by a factor of 10, 20, or even more.

"Oil has been spewing into the ocean for 30 days yet the true extent of this spill remains a mystery," Markey said. "BP thinks this is their ocean. This is BP's spill, but it is the American people's ocean....

Gulf Oil Spill: Markey Demands BP Broadcast Live Video Feed From The Source

Now where's my soda!

How 'bout let's look at the fact that all the oil from the BP well is sinking to the bottom due to chemical dispersants they have used and ask WHY........?

BP's drilling disaster is releasing massive quantities of oil into the Gulf of Mexico every day and, partially due to the use of dispersants, much of this oil is lingering below the surface in the water column. The daily projection maps which NOAA releases basically only track the surface slick, which is influenced primarily by the wind. On the other hand, the unknown quantity of crude below the surface is mostly being dispersed by tidal currents and the federal government and BP have released very little data on where this oil is ending up. Today in a briefing hosted by NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco, she indicated that there is evidence that some of this oil could soon enter the Gulf Loop current and reach the Florida Keys within five days.
Tar Balls Found in the Florida Keys | BP's Oil Drilling Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico | Blog

Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) on Wednesday lashed out at BP for hiding the true extent of its now four-week-old oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and demanded that the oil company and the Coast Guard make a live video feed from the source of the leak continuously available to the public.

The few videos BP has released so far have been short and of poor quality, but the footage of filthy plumes of oil and gas endlessly billowing into the Gulf's clear waters has nevertheless given the public a visceral sense of what's at stake -- and has given some scientists reason to believe that BP's 5,000-barrel estimate for daily flow is off by a factor of 10, 20, or even more.

"Oil has been spewing into the ocean for 30 days yet the true extent of this spill remains a mystery," Markey said. "BP thinks this is their ocean. This is BP's spill, but it is the American people's ocean....

Hi Val,

You were providing the popcorn so I thought you were going to spring for the soda too!
As far as the oil goes, well it goes. Natural seeps are indeed natural and for almost a month we've been hearing doom and gloom from the media and so far it is a big squadoosh. I hope it remains a big squadoosh too. But hopping around telling us the sky is falling doesn't help matters.

Oil comes from the ground and when there is a problem like now it eventually will go back to the ground or be oxidized away. Sometimes it sucks but that is the natural way of things. BP should get off their asses and just seal it up but they don't want to because it will cost them another couple of million to drill a new hole but considering how much oil has been lost the term escalation of commitment is appropriate. They just need to seal it now. Then we can assess the damage and make them pay for it.

From what I've heard, the amount of oil going into the gulf from the BP leak
#1, isn't heavy crude which means it emulsifies, evaporates, and is less devastating
#2, is a tiny amount of oil in a huge amount of water

I've also heard they are having a time even tracking it, and it is of such an insignificant amount that they can't distinguish the man-made (maybe) leak from the naturally occurring leaks.

Now where's my soda!

Hi Val,

You were providing the popcorn so I thought you were going to spring for the soda too!
As far as the oil goes, well it goes. Natural seeps are indeed natural and for almost a month we've been hearing doom and gloom from the media and so far it is a big squadoosh. I hope it remains a big squadoosh too. But hopping around telling us the sky is falling doesn't help matters.

Oil comes from the ground and when there is a problem like now it eventually will go back to the ground or be oxidized away. Sometimes it sucks but that is the natural way of things. BP should get off their asses and just seal it up but they don't want to because it will cost them another couple of million to drill a new hole but considering how much oil has been lost the term escalation of commitment is appropriate. They just need to seal it now. Then we can assess the damage and make them pay for it.

Dude, when has there ever been a problem like now? This is NOT natural.

Hi Val,

There have been many spills in the past and sadly there will be many more in the future.

Here is a wiki list (I hate wiki but most of the paople here don't know any better so take it with a grain of salt, most of what is here is accurate though I havn't the time to check each spill listed)

List of oil spills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This spill is not that bad in the overall scheme of things when compared to some of the other spills listed but it is indeed a bad thing and needs to be stopped and cleaned up. So take it easy it is not the end of the world and all will be better in a few months.

Hi Val,

Dude, is there a problem now? More oil than this leak goes into the gulf on a regular basis. The only problem now are the hysterical, anti-oil, anti-american, regressive nitwits who want to send us back to the dark ages.

Hi Val,

Dude, is there a problem now?

More oil than this leak goes into the gulf on a regular basis.

The only problem now are the hysterical, anti-oil, anti-american, regressive nitwits who want to send us back to the dark ages.

:doubt: Yes, Allie there's a BIG problem now...More oil than ever has been spilling into the Gulf of Mexico for a month now. This does NOT happen on a regular basis. :cuckoo:

Comparing the Gulf oil spill to other historic spills | Google Earth Blog

Now they're saying these tar balls were not from the BP leak.

(Still, it's only a matter of time, I'm sure...)

- The U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday that tar balls found in Key West, Fla. in recent days don't match the chemical composition of oil leaking from the site of the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. A sampling of tar balls discovered on beaches at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Fla., Smathers Beach in Key West, Big Pine Key, Fla., and Loggerhead Key in the Dry Tortugas National Park, Fla. were flown on Tuesday by a Coast Guard jet to New London, Conn. for testing and analysis. "The results of those tests conclusively show that the tar balls collected from Florida Keys beaches do not match the type of oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico," the Coast Guard said. "The source of the tar balls remains unknown at this time."
Coast Guard: Key West tar balls not from BP spill - MarketWatch

>>

As quickly as the tar balls made an appearance in Key West, there is the denial that they are not related to BP's Gulf of Mexico oil disaster. Business Week explains that the Coast Guard reported having conclusive proof that the oil in the tar balls is dissimilar from the oil associated with the BP disaster. Instead, a spokesperson asserted that these tar balls could have come from a tanker, another oil spill or even small boats leaking oil.

Understanding the Science behind the Formation of Tar Balls

NOAA explains that tarballs are usually quite small and stick to beachgoers' feet. The agency outlines that a tar ball forms when crude oil floats on the ocean's surface and weathers due to the influences of waves and winds. As some components of the oil evaporate, an emulsion forms and mixes with the saltwater; over time, the oil slick is literally ripped into bits and pieces, which accounts for the much smaller tar balls that wash up on the seashores. It is not unheard of to see tarballs traveling "hundreds of miles."

What makes the Coast Guard announcement a positive one is the hope that - thus far -- the portion of the Gulf Stream that is known as the Loop Current has not yet been affected by the oil spill. This current would spread the oil quickly over an even greater stretch of water.

Key West Tar Balls Initially Point to BP Oil Spill but Then to Other Culprits - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Allie, are you out of your mind? You must be a Lush Rimbaugh disciple. More oil has leaked into the Gulf of Mexico than leaked from the Valdez and you want to dismiss it. You republicans are reprehensible!

Everyone does know that this isn't the worst oil spill the Gulf has seen, right?

Google "Ixtoc"

*gives stink eye at xotoxi*

Forum List

Back