Taking out foam in a helmet

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
I have a half helmet that is DOT approved. We have strict helmet laws in TN, so i am TRYING to stray from buying a novelty helmet. The DOT helmets get caught up in wind so they arent comfortable and the novelty are more comfortable and look awesome. BUT they arent legal
So i thought about taking the fabric out and getting rid of some of the foam. Have considered using a dremel, melt it or sand paper.
Anybody have any experience with this?

I have a half helmet that is DOT approved. We have strict helmet laws in TN, so i am TRYING to stray from buying a novelty helmet. The DOT helmets get caught up in wind so they arent comfortable and the novelty are more comfortable and look awesome. BUT they arent legal
So i thought about taking the fabric out and getting rid of some of the foam. Have considered using a dremel, melt it or sand paper.

Don't rip it out. Customize it. I hear this works. If you're man enough, you can DIY...

persons-hand-hitting-a-hammer-on-a-businessman-wearing-a-helmet-d2w04j.jpg

Sorry... couldn't resist. :scared1:

if you do that

then your helmet will probably not be legal anymore

Don't rip it out. Customize it. I hear this works. If you're man enough, you can DIY...

I thought about putting a hammer to it and wearing it out but i dropped it. I dont want the foam to not compress if something were to happen

if you do that

I believe it has to be an inch thick. My helmet right now is much thicker than that.

if you do that

I believe it has to be an inch thick. My helmet right now is much thicker than that.

perhaps

i would check into the rules about damaged helmets and such

if you do that

perhaps

I would hope i could do it without being able to tell. If it was lopsided or something it wouldnt be comfortable.

if you do that

perhaps

I would hope i could do it without being able to tell. If it was lopsided or something it wouldnt be comfortable.

true

out here we dont have any helmet laws

maybe an attempt to get the law repealed may be in store

if you do that

perhaps

true

That would be cool. I would still wear something but having the option to decide for yourself is always a plus

if you do that

"I believe it has to be an inch thick. My helmet right now is much thicker than that."

Um....No Comment....I was going to comment....um, no....No Comment :eusa_whistle:

if you do that

perhaps

"I would hope i could do it without being able to tell. If it was lopsided or something it wouldnt be comfortable."

Well it wouldn't be comfortable darling, you would possibly have to go and see a medical surgeon.

I thought about putting a hammer to it and wearing it out but i dropped it. I dont want the foam to not compress if something were to happen

"I thought about putting a hammer to it"

No don't do that, you could end up forcibly against your wishes having to Transgender :omg:

if you do that

perhaps

true

That would be cool. I would still wear something but having the option to decide for yourself is always a plus

it is from what i have heard

having a improperly fitting helmet

can cause a lot of damage in an accident

if you do that

"then your helmet will probably not be legal anymore"

Um, No Comment :smoke:

WTF this thread is about a MOTORCYCLE helmet? :omg:

I thought TN was meaning....um....No Comment :smoke:

I am just an innocent girl with a virgin mind
blushing.gif

Oh wait, hold on I forgot :eusa_doh:

Dremelling out the foam would severely damage its structural integrity.

You could probably get away with it, as long as you do it cleanly, but it wouldn't actually protect you much, should you get in an accident.

Move to Florida, problem solved.

You could probably get away with it, as long as you do it cleanly, but it wouldn't actually protect you much, should you get in an accident.
Seems almost worth it. Lol

Seems almost worth it. Lol

I have too many dead friends who might have lived had they been wearing a helmet for me to not wear one.

But it's your call, obviously.

Forum List

Back