Taking A Stand: NYC Rabbi, Imam Unite

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Visible Leaders Shamsi Ali, Marc Schneier Come Together At 96th Street Mosque To Denounce Terrorism

As we saw after Sept. 11, 2001, the invisible victims of Islamic terrorism are other Muslims, millions of people who are horrified by the thought that some of their own could turn the words of the Quran into a justification for murder.

On Thursday, some of them took a stand against terrorism.

At the 96th Street mosque, there was something you don't see everyday – a rabbi and an imam embracing, and then standing together in unity.

"These intended evils must be condemned, and I'm here to condemn it," said Imam Shamsi Ali of the Islamic Cultural Center of New York.

"Any attack on a Jewish religious institution is an attack on any and every religious institution," said Rabbi Marc Schneier of the Foundation For Ethnic Understanding.

It was Imam Ali who suggested the joint statement of condemnation. He said the very word "jihad" has been perverted.

"Life in Islam is so sacred, and any individual taking lives is basically taking the lives of all human beings as the holy Quran mentions," Ali said.

No one knows for certain how many Muslims live in America. The United States census doesn't collect data on religious identification, but estimates range from 1 to 8 million.

But a study by Columbia University puts the number of Muslims in New York City at 600,000, many of whom live and work in neighborhoods like one in Brooklyn along Atlantic Avenue.

And whenever something like this happens, the thousands of good, law-abiding, patriotic Muslims worry that once again, the stereotype of a violent Islam is once again being perpetuated.

"We do feel that the coupling of religion and terror in terminology does provide a negative image of the Muslim-American community," said Aliya Latif of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

According to the Pew Research Center, fully a third of all Muslims in this country are African-Americans who, like some of the bomb-plot suspects, converted to Islam either in prison or in their urban neighborhoods. But just because they share a religion with the bomb plotters, they said, does not mean they share their violent beliefs.

Taking A Stand: NYC Rabbi, Imam Unite - wcbstv.com

hey, way to leap into the fucking fray without your zionist pessimism, guys! good job!

:thup:

was there another point the article was trying to make? i don't think so.

and mark schneier is a very nice man.

but if your point wasn't to laud an imam for standing up against his extremists' terrorist acts, what was? and too bad if zionist is a dirty word to you... kiss my jew butt.

was there another point the article was trying to make? i don't think so.

and mark schneier is a very nice man.

but if your point wasn't to laud an imam for standing up against his extremists' terrorist acts, what was? and too bad if zionist is a dirty word to you... kiss my jew butt.

no, what is too bad is that you can't detect the inherent racism in the concept of zionism.

But, do you think it's really shocking that the sum total of your interest lies in talking shit about muslims? It's really not.

hey, way to leap into the fucking fray without your zionist pessimism, guys! good job!

No offense to Jillian, but she's about as Zionist as you are Jewish.

riiiight... Then I invite you to ask her to admit that she wants to see as much democratic equality, despite ethnicity, in israel as you both enjoy here in an actual western nation. Do you think it's a mystery why THIS kind of interaction can happen HERE IN THE US instead of a zionist israel?

If zionist means one believes in a jewish state in israel... then i'm guilty. if it means i have to think it justifies every possible hatred, i think you make us look bad. no offense.

You sink your own ship, Jill. Be glad that we whites don't take the same stand here in the US that you require for israel. Again, this kind of event can happen HERE because HERE IN AN ACTUAL WESTERN NATION WHERE YOUR ETHNICITY DOESNT HAVE A PREMIUM there is no state compelling one side to think it's more qualified for state consideration. If the US had it's own Bibi we'd still be dealing with our own civil rights era.

If zionist means one believes in a jewish state in israel... then i'm guilty. if it means i have to think it justifies every possible hatred, i think you make us look bad. no offense.

You sink your own ship, Jill. Be glad that we whites don't take the same stand here in the US that you require for israel. Again, this kind of event can happen HERE because HERE IN AN ACTUAL WESTERN NATION WHERE YOUR ETHNICITY DOESNT HAVE A PREMIUM there is no state compelling one side to think it's more qualified for state consideration. If the US had it's own Bibi we'd still be dealing with our own civil rights era.

again, kiss my jew butt until you object to the double digit number of muslim states.

again, kiss my jew butt until you object to the double digit number of muslim states.

Better yet, why don't you take your jew butt to israel and be consistent about your standards for nations to favor a particular ethnicity...

yea.. I kinda thought so..

Better yet, why don't you take your jew butt to israel and be consistent about your standards for nations to favor a particular ethnicity...

you talk about consistency, hypocrite? lol... why don't you be consistent in your requirementts for muslims and jews in terms of having a place to live.

yeah...i kinda thought so. :cuckoo:

and i'm american. i don't choose to go to israel. but its damn nice to know its there if people like you ever have their way.... which is the entire point in the first place.

It is funny how Jews want a state all for themsleves but so many just won't go there and stay. But one can dream.

I have an idea. Let's make us a "white people" state. Maybe Texas. Well give all WASP prefered treatment and provide incentives for them to move there. We'll push all the other ethnics into small areas, kinda like the reservations. I won't move there right away but it will be nice to know it's there so I will have a place to run to.

you talk about consistency, hypocrite? lol... why don't you be consistent in your requirementts for muslims and jews in terms of having a place to live.

yeah...i kinda thought so. :cuckoo:

and i'm american. i don't choose to go to israel. but its damn nice to know its there if people like you ever have their way.... which is the entire point in the first place.

Because muslim nations don't ENJOY the blanket support that you do, jill. Do you REALLY want to open up THEIR nations to our standards AND SUPPORT on par with what we grant israel? REALLY? I bet you dont.

And, let's not forget that big "fuck you" that Iranian jews gave israel... Kinda defeats your entire point, really.

And, there are many ISRAELI ARABS who don't CHOOSE to move to fucking Jordan. Funny how you didn't see that one coming. then again, zionism has blinded you as every other structured racism blinds those who benefit from the disparity. So, again, if you can't name the jewish founding father then I guess you might want to start packing, eh? Whats good for the jewish goose is good for the American, excuse me, CAUCASIAN gander, right?

It is funny how Jews want a state all for themsleves but so many just won't go there and stay. But one can dream.

Let me be very clear, new guy. I am not looking to purge the US of its jews. THIS is the main difference between Jill and I. While she may ironically enjoy ethnic equality and preach segregation for israel it is not MY opinion that we can't both be pluralistic nations that are homes to a myriad of people. If Whites and Blacks can do it here then it CAN, and must, happen in isreal between jews and palis. I happen to enjoy my jewish friends and don't want them to leave the US. Then again, I'm not the kind of guy to insist that they are ethnically doomed to repeat a Bernie Maddof quite like Jill is convinces that every arab is a jooo hater just waiting to bomb a joo.

Forum List

Back