Tablet Question

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I'm mulling over putting a tablet in my kitchen (under cabinet pull down) between 8" & 11" but I have absolutely no experience with tablets. It will be exclusively for looking up and downloading recipes so it will need to have expandable storage, obviously Wifi and be relatively fast. Looking to spend under $100.
Android? iPad (good luck on the price point)? Amazon fire? Any of those rooted?

I've also read that it's possible to run some of the Linux distros on Android tablets but it would require ARMv8 chips to run the modded XFCE versions specifically made for tablets.

I'm mulling over putting a tablet in my kitchen (under cabinet pull down) between 8" & 11" but I have absolutely no experience with tablets. It will be exclusively for looking up and downloading recipes so it will need to have expandable storage, obviously Wifi and be relatively fast. Looking to spend under $100.
You can buy an older Apple tablet on the cheap.

I've also read that it's possible to run some of the Linux distros on Android tablets but it would require ARMv8 chips to run the modded XFCE versions specifically made for tablets.
I heard there is at least one Ubuntu or something made for Android devices. Of course you would only need a cheap Android tablet, the only question is if you want a good display or not. For the intended purpose and price cap I would recommend a second hand tablet. That will have better hardware for the same price, if you buy the right one.

Lots of one finger typing coming for you. No easy edit. Its different. No back button on browsers? It ain't a Windows PC with mouse & keyboard. IPAD mini in the Philippines for $150? But you have to know someone going.

Rooted, he says! :auiqs.jpg:

Better off with an old laptop, probably.

Lots of one finger typing coming for you. No easy edit. Its different. No back button on browsers? It ain't a Windows PC with mouse & keyboard. IPAD mini in the Philippines for $150? But you have to know someone going.
:eusa_doh:

I'm mulling over putting a tablet in my kitchen

Make sure you get one with a stable operating system ...

360_F_17391417_FD4n2SaC9tpXdB0UpGO2dXQqaaMYhRfn.jpg

Yeah, rooted, kinda like unlocked..........
I know what rooted is. :uhh:

Full Admin access. Just sayin', small laptop with Linux on it is right up your alley.

Not all ARM devices can be rooted. Usually you have to have a device-specific OS, too.

Then there's the touchscreen keyboard thing.

I doubt Kindle Fires can be rooted, have not checked lately.

edit:

Apparently 5th gen can.

Last edited:
Do you know what that means?
It will not be necessary for displaying receipts.
One of us has rooted several devices, and it ain't you, so STFU. What's TWRP? Hmm?

I know one of the premiere ARM/OS tweaker/hackers in the world, and that ain't no bullshit.

Dude has tablets stacked yards high. I'm nowhere near on his level, but I do know minimal stuff.

Last edited:
I know what rooted is. :uhh:

Full Admin access. Just sayin', small laptop with Linux on it is right up your alley.

Not all ARM devices can be rooted. Usually you have to have a device-specific OS, too.

Then there's the touchscreen keyboard thing.

I doubt Kindle Fires can be rooted, have not checked lately.

edit:

Apparently 5th gen can.

I figured you knew what it was but your response was kinda weird.

I figured you knew what it was but your response was kinda weird.
Metinks you are asking for a bit much is what I was thinking.

That XDA site is where you go to get root 'em toot 'em stuff.

I also noticed there's a fair bit of malware around there as well..so ..that's how it is.

Wait, maybe that was the APK site..I think so.

The 2 are closely connected because..all things ARM.

I would go to teh XDA site and see what can be fully rooted then cross-shop (if you want rooted)

Last edited:
Metinks you are asking for a bit much is what I was thinking.
Maybe, maybe not. I've been researching it and I know the earlier Fire HDs are difficult to root/load Linux on. So I'm leaning more towards Androids and Surface tablets, much easier to install Linux on if I need to.
The Windows Surface will give one 8-12 years service life but the Androids and Fires are only giving up to 5 years service. At least that's what I found with my research.

I do have a Lenovo Yoga 2 but loading Linux on it is problematic to say the least, it's hardware was designed to specifically run Windows and it will not upgrade to Win 11.

I do have a Lenovo Yoga 2 but loading Linux on it is problematic to say the least, it's hardware was designed to specifically run Windows and it will not upgrade to Win 11.
For that money it should make coffee and breakfast every morning! :aargh:

Is there any advantage to Windows 11?

For that money it should make coffee and breakfast every morning! :aargh:

Is there any advantage to Windows 11?
I bought it for the wife (she said she wanted it)........ Should have had her try it out first........ She didn't like it so she got one of my not too old Dell 19" laptops instead. I used the Lenovo when traveling.

Forum List

Back