Tablet Question

I bought it for the wife (she said she wanted it)........ Should have had her try it out first........ She didn't like it so she got one of my not too old Dell 19" laptops instead. I used the Lenovo when traveling.
I would suggest using that and putting a 7 or Linux on it. I know, I saw your hardware compatibility comment.

I know you like Ubuntu, too. What desktop do you prefer?

7g0x97.jpg

I would suggest using that and putting a 7 or Linux on it. I know, I saw your hardware compatibility comment.

I know you like Ubuntu, too. What desktop do you prefer?
I prefer Mint, I like their Cinnamon desktop.
The hardware problems include the touch screen not working, no sound and no wifi. The wifi isn't a big deal, easily fixed with a USB wifi dongle. The rest just don't work and I'd be using it like a tablet mounted to a wall swing arm. Guess I could use it and not worry about it not getting security fixes for a few years.

I'm mulling over putting a tablet in my kitchen (under cabinet pull down) between 8" & 11" but I have absolutely no experience with tablets. It will be exclusively for looking up and downloading recipes so it will need to have expandable storage, obviously Wifi and be relatively fast. Looking to spend under $100.
Android? iPad (good luck on the price point)? Amazon fire? Any of those rooted?
I have all my recipes on my desktop computer and just run one off as I need it. I have one of those little stenographer thingees on my counter top that holds the recipe upright for easy reference. Edits, renaming/labeling/organizing the recipes is so much easier on the computer plus I can make notes of how I modified or how well we liked a recipe. I would think it all really tedious on a tablet.

I have all my recipes on my desktop computer and just run one off as I need it. I have one of those little stenographer thingees on my counter top that holds the recipe upright for easy reference. Edits, renaming/labeling/organizing the recipes is so much easier on the computer plus I can make notes of how I modified or how well we liked a recipe. I would think it all really tedious on a tablet.
I've been using my iPhone XR but I'd like something bigger, easier to surf the web with.

I've been using my iPhone XR but I'd like something bigger, easier to surf the web with.
Well whatever works I say. I prefer to easily modify those on line recipes and save such 'research' for next time. But there is this:

Okay, so latest Kindle Fire you can root?

Or a comparably cheap tablet you can root?
Right now I'm looking at a Microsoft Surface RT, a Samsung Galaxy Tab E and a refurbished (2021) 10" Fire HD.
All my laptops except the Lenovo have always been refurbished or used (certified) and I've had no problems with them except for one HD going bad.

Right now I'm looking at a Microsoft Surface RT, a Samsung Galaxy Tab E and a refurbished (2021) 10" Fire HD.
All my laptops except the Lenovo have always been refurbished or used (certified) and I've had no problems with them except for one HD going bad.
If you want root, make your choices accordingly.

If you want root, make your choices accordingly.
Rooting is only one option and not necessarily my first option, it's just a "if I think I have to in the future" kinda thing. I know that with Android tablets Linux can be loaded without rooting the device first.

Well whatever works I say. I prefer to easily modify those on line recipes and save such 'research' for next time. But there is this:
Yeah but those prices are all somewhat above to ridiculously above my price point.

I bought it for the wife (she said she wanted it)........ Should have had her try it out first........ She didn't like it so she got one of my not too old Dell 19" laptops instead. I used the Lenovo when traveling.

Why would a school teacher be "traveling"? Why would you need a computer if you are "traveling"?

I don't know what your little attachment means? But I will assume it is bad. Another attack on those trying to help you out EH?
Obviously you didn't read the OP........ I wasn't asking about operating systems I was asking about tablets........
BTW, I'm doing this on my home built Linux Mint desktop........

Obviously you didn't read the OP........ I wasn't asking about operating systems I was asking about tablets........
BTW, I'm doing this on my Linux Mint desktop........

I have had to use GALAXY or APPL tablets for many years now at home. During years not posting I was still reading. Posting is easier with keyboard. The screen is always cleaner on a PC. Cut/Paste, multiple windows is easier on a PC.

Tablets in the kitchen (for a cook?) will be covered in food scum all day.

Commence another attack now. Fire in the hole!

I have had to use GALAXY or APPL tablets for many years now at home. During years not posting I was still reading. Posting is easier with keyboard. The screen is always cleaner on a PC. Cut/Paste, multiple windows is easier on a PC.

Tablets in the kitchen (for a cook?) will be covered in food scum all day.

Commence another attack now. Fire in the hole!
I know you think you're helping and thank you for your input but it's not what really what I was looking for. I build my own desktops, have repaired computers for people plus installed and configured Windows and multiple Linux distros. I'm pretty sure I know at least a little bit within the realm of computers.
Oh and I've never taught school.

I know you think you're helping and thank you for your input but it's not what really what I was looking for. I build my own desktops, have repaired computers for people plus installed and configured Windows and multiple Linux distros. I'm pretty sure I know at least a little bit within the realm of computers.
Oh and I've never taught school.

HUH? you're not the HS teacher (wrestling guru, helping kids) from El Paso? if not....my mistake. sorry.

Also if I ever do decide to load Linux it would probably be Ubuntu Unity which is still alive and kicking. I have it on a thumb drive, I recently (last week) downloaded from Ubuntu's download page.

Forum List

Back