System security version 4.52

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Xenophon, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    This is a particular nasty bit of malware that is floating through the net and it hit me today, I was hit by earlier versions of it also, the 4.51 & the system security 2009 trojans.

What this piece of garbage does is, it pretends to be part of your system, showing up in your tool bar using MS symbols, and it pretends to be your security center.

It starts telling you that you have all kinds of trojans, virus attacks and so on, while preventing you from activating any of your normal system .exe files to remove it, you can't even get to a restore point if you get this.

Every few seconds you click it out, it comes back with more 'warnings' and tells you that you need to 'upgrade' to the 24.99 dollar version of it, or doom will follow.

The easiest 'cure' for this trash is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, a totally free program you can get off the net.

Even if you have it though, this stupid attack will prevent it from running, you have to start your system in safe mode and scan with that, and it will kill it off.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Simple solution ... switch to Linux, specifically Ubuntu. The trusted sources are one click away, no malware in them. ;)

3. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Both of those a good solutions. Malwarebytes is definitely in my techie toolbelt. It has cleaned more malware than I thought possible.

But, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ubuntu ROCKS!

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    It's odd, took me a bit to make the switch, mulling over benefits and drawbacks, then I got a new desktop and with all the Windoze updates, almost 10 gig was wasted ... that was it, then IE kept fucking up and Windoze messed up the keyboard buffer I lost it. Haven't looked back since the switch. I can even write Windoze code in Linux and Ubuntu makes it easy to get the latest libraries. Wine is coming up quickly and will soon support everything in Windoze (with us convert coders helping on the project especially) so MS will be obsolete soon if they don't follow Apple's course. Since Apple is making their OSes more compatible with Linux we will see an explosion in support from programmers.

5. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I couldn't get GoToAssistHelpAlert.exe to run under Wine. I was pretty bummed. I haven't tried it for anything else.

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Why you would need it with Ubuntu is beyond me, but you can submit a ticket WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X in the BugZilla page. Someone will pick it up when there's time.

7. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Thanks. I need to run it to provide remote desktop support to clients. It's the tool the company I'm with uses. (Hopefully I won't care for long).

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Which end are you? The tech support or the one receiving? I ask because if you are the tech support there should be a Linux program that does the same thing with access to the Windoze protocols.

9. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I'm providing. A Linux (and a Mac) client is on the software roadmap, but so far it's vaporware. I doubt there is a Linux product for this because it is a proprietary Citrix product.

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Aah. Someone needs to crack it then. Doesn't mean it's impossible (or even illegal) to write a program for it, it just means a programmer good at reverse engineering it has to become bored sometime. Thing is, people wouldn't crack these programs if more companies would develop them for Linux, the changes to the code are not that huge, and they could charge for them as well, but as long as they don't make Linux alternatives us programmers will continue to figure out how to crack them.