SUV fees

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Nov 13, 2003.

1. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you considered that there are legitimate uses for SUV's besides hauling around your family and ego? We use them in our business, instead of larger more environmentally unfriendly vehicles.

Just give that some though, please.

2. Bry

Bry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In that case they should be registered as for commercial purposes, and shouldn't have anything to do with the registration of your personal vehicles.

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Thanks for reminding me how bad the gas situation is here in NY! Costs me nearly $30 every time I fill up! (and it's a small 6cyl, not a an SUV!)

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough !

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yup I hear you Jim, about 30 bucks for my Ranger (6cyl)and I'm driving all the time.

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, I don't live in Virginia but I spent the first half of my life there. I wish I could go back but that probably won't happen anytime soon. When I lived there, anyone who owned a car (or vehicle, more correctly) paid a personal property tax. The tax was based upon the type of vehicle...motorcycles paid less, say, than a 4x4 (didn't have SUV's then!).

I see no problem with those who consume more of the earth's resources paying the larger share of the freight. If you use 20 gallons of gas, you pay more in taxes but the rate you pay is the same. The gas tax is blind to whether you use 20 gallons of gas because you drive an awful lot or because you waste a lot of fuel with poor gas economy. Those who want to pay a low amount should either drive less frequently or use more gas efficient cars.

As far as why they are menaces, simple. Their size, their propensity to topple and their consumption make them menaces. Unfortunately, driver's licenses are passed out like candy on Halloween. Any idiot can get one and, it seems, does. The majority of whom drive over-powered, overweight vehicles and minivans they can scarcely control. They careen through all types of lanes, other drivers cannot see around them in the street or in parking lots. I know it's unfair to stereotype and believe me, I'm one of the last people to do so, but I gotta say whenever someone has done something dangerous on the road near me they are always driving an SUV or minivan.

I owned an explorer and was amazed at how often other SUV's (mostly larger like the expedition) scared the heck out of us. We no longer have the explorer and I miss being able to load groceries without bending over but other than that, I much prefer my sedan. Lots of horsepower, plenty of maneuvering ability and good gas mileage. But when I had the explorer I would not have had a problem paying more for it.

7. Bry

Bry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, well said, your entire post. Under Jim Gilmore, he won the election and made good on his promise to eliminate the car tax. (I never cease to be amazed by the people's gulability when it comes to promises about tax cuts...) He thereby eliminated without recouse an important source of fairly applied revenue from the state, and Virginia has yet to recover from the disaster, (and the Democrat who is now the governor is getting the flak for the fallout) forcing severe cutbacks on all aspects of the State's administration, including, notably, the funding of Virginia's state schools (of which we were very proud.)

I too spent most of my life in Virginia, and my family are all die hard Hokie fans.

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Well, Moi you are right there are many idiots who have driver's licenses that cause a menace on the road. I see young drivers speeding in and out of lanes, people taking on hand held cell phones while driving, old people driving very slow, delivery trucks that are hard to see around. It is the nature of the roadways, I'm not convienced that SUVs are anymore of a menace than anything else, if your an idiot and driving it doesn't matter what your driving.

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an interesting idea. If were are going to have an additional tax or fee placed on SUVs, why not mandate that the extra money go into a fund to research alternative energy.

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    May not be to bad of an idea for broad energy use but,we don't need addition revenue to fund private industry r&d. The car and oil industry will develop these methods as the become marketable and profitable.

GM plans SUV, truck hybrids

DETROIT, Nov. 5 (UPI) -- General Motors plans a gasoline-electric hybrid engine in its full-size Chevy Tahoes and GMC Yukons for the 2007 model year, it was reported Wednesday.

The move is expected to be announced as early as Thursday. It represents a shift of the No. 1 automaker's alternative-vehicle strategy from smaller cars and SUVs to what Tom Stephens, GM's group vice president for global powertrain, calls "the highest (fuel) consuming vehicles, such as buses, full-size pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles," the Detroit News reported.

GM's big trucks and SUVs are frequent targets for environmentalists, regulators and some politicians. The decision to focus GM's hybrid powertrain program on its lucrative truck lineup was seen as a move to reverse GM's image as a technology laggard, according to several GM executives familiar with the program.

GM appears determined to showcase engineering prowess and social responsibility as well by launching hybrids into a segment criticized for vehicles that consume too much fuel, the News said.

link