Domestic Terrorists

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Incendiary devices placed at Nestle bottling plant
    (09-24) 17:00 PDT MARTINY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) --

Four incendiary devices were found inside a pumping station for a water-bottling plant owned by a subsidiary of Nestle S.A., and a radical environmental group said it was responsible.

Plastic bottles containing a flammable liquid were discovered Monday by Ice Mountain Spring Water Co. workers. No one was hurt removing the bottles, and water monitored at the plant showed no signs of tampering.

Company spokeswoman Deb Wudyka said Wednesday the liquid apparently was meant to start a fire rather than cause an explosion.

The Earth Liberation Front claimed responsibility, accusing Ice Mountain of stealing well water for profit.

Ice Mountain is a division of Greenwich, Conn.-based Nestle Waters North America Inc., formerly Perrier Group of America Inc.

ELF has claimed responsibility for many arson fires at housing construction sites in the West and Midwest.

"Clean water is one of the most fundamental necessities and no one can be allowed to privatize it, commodify it, and try and sell it back to us," the group said in a statement.

Wudyka declined to comment on the statement.

FBI spokeswoman Dawn Clenney said Wednesday that agents were following "a number of leads."

Link

A little dated but still interesting.

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Lovely! :rolleyes:

It's bad enough dealing with international terrorism based on our foreign policy, but now we have to watch out for the environmental wacko's too? And how is this supposed to help the environment?

These people aren't too bright.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The "environmentalist" name is just a front. These people don't like capitalism.

4. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, ELF has gone a bit around the bend. They started out as environmentalists and as mentioned have turned their anger against capitalism. They've been burning apartment buildings (under construction), bashing suv's and now this... While I may see some of their points I surely don't think the situation grave enough to condone this sort of response.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    There should be no difference is hunting down members of ELF or al-Qaeda. Both are terrorists, regardless of their adopted cause, and both deserve to be punished for their actions.

If ELF members are so concerned with the environment, they should organize politically (i.e. the Green Party) and do something about it.

6. tybalt

tybalt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are they really terrorists or just vandals? To compare the ELF to al Qaeda seems ridiculous since their tactics differ substantially. Who is more terrifying, a bunch of tree huggers who damage property, or the homicidal bombers who blow up airplanes and skyscrapers? What is really terrifying? The prospect of being blown apart or the prospect of filing an insurance claim to replace damaged property? I don't think the ELF miscreants should be given credit as terrorists. A kinder, gentler term is more appropriate. Maybe eco-vandals, eco-gremlins, Keebler rejects?

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    They threaten people with death unless they get their way. They use bombs and fires to instill fear in those that work in a manner they disagree with. This IS the definition of a terrorist.

8. Bry

Bry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't seen where they are threatening people with death. And I haven't seen where anyone has died of their actions. My understanding is that they take care to aviod hurting anyone. They do damage property, and unless I'm wrong about their modus operandi, they would more appropriately be labeled vandals.

Jim, have you seen something about death threats that I haven't?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    "What will it take for the United States to recognize the clear and present danger that such groups present? The death of a McDonald's employee in a bombing, as occurred in France last year?"
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/oped_detail.cfm?OPED_ID=133

"In England, 10 research scientists who use animals in medical testing have been threatened with death."
    http://search.csmonitor.com/durable/1999/01/20/p4s1.htm

10. Bry

Bry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, having read the articles, you wouldn't agree that there is an enormous difference between these groups and Al Qaeda?

They do go out of their way to insure that lives are not put in jeopardy. And death threats, unless they start acting on them, do not constitute terrorism: there must be some reason to believe that a death threat will be acted on, and until they act on one, that evidence doesn't exist.

I understand you don't like these activities, and I agreee that it is has gotten out of control: these people should be pursued like any other criminal. But it seems a great exaggeration to compare them to Al Qaeda, or any other "terrorist" group.

side note: The articles refer to death threats from ALF, and I was asking about death threats issued from ELF.