Survey-Is anybody buying this market?

Is anybody buying this market?

• Yes, the market is fairly valued and the economy is strong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, things are slowing down, so I'll wait to buy more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Since I write covered options on undervalued issues why should I care? This is not as good as when DRIPs were offering 5% off market on shares purchased with money sent to the treasury or reinvested dividend income but 35% annualized returns make me happy

That's a nice trading strategy, but hardly appropriate or feasible with an entire portfolio.

There was an investor study done by DALBAR a couple of years back that showed the average "active" investor had "earned" a 3.49% return over the last 20 years.

Invest smart (according to your time frame, risk tolerance and long term goals), don't try to time the market, don't get emotional, dollar cost average.

Next.

No kidding, well that is pretty useless information. Considering the last 20 years the DOW is up like 400% and the NASDAQ almost 500%. So by not timing the market as you suggest, you've have essential stayed flat with inflation. Btw- what exactly does invest smart mean? Does it mean invest so you barely kept up with inflation?

NEXT

Attachments

• IMG_0533.PNG
    IMG_0533.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 35
The only people that will make serious scratch right now are day traders. Long term investors will have to invest in safe low yield stocks... and to be honest they would be better off investing that money in things like Gold, silver, or certain collectibles like very rare graded sports cards and graded first run/first appearance comic books.

Take for example this comic book which is the very first appearance of Harley Quinn... who is extremely hot and will only get hotter when the movie Gotham City Sirens comes out.

s-l1600.jpg

Here is an Ichiro Upper Deck autograph/jersey rookie card graded a Gem Mint 10. He recently became a 3,000 hit MLB player and if you add his hits from Japan with the ones in MLB he has more professional hits than Pete Rose. He is a lock MLB Hall of Famer and his cards go up a lot because of his popularity in the U.S. and in Japan.

2001 SPx Upper Deck Ichiro Suzuki RC Rookie Jersey Auto PSA 10 | eBay

s-l500.jpg

I agree with precious metals is a safe place to be right now. When the market sentiment changes from this euphoria to fear, everybody will head for AU/AG.

There was an investor study done by DALBAR a couple of years back that showed the average "active" investor had "earned" a 3.49% return over the last 20 years.

Invest smart (according to your time frame, risk tolerance and long term goals), don't try to time the market, don't get emotional, dollar cost average.

Next.

No kidding, well that is pretty useless information. Considering the last 20 years the DOW is up like 400% and the NASDAQ almost 500%. So by not timing the market as you suggest, you've have essential stayed flat with inflation. Btw- what exactly does invest smart mean? Does it mean invest so you barely kept up with inflation?

NEXT
In one sentence you say the Dow is up 400% in 20 years, then in the next sentence you say that by not timing the market you have stayed flat with inflation.

Which is it?

I'm a financial advisor, CFP, ChFC, CLU. Learning how to invest wisely just ain't that tough. The internet is your friend.

I'm curious how investors here feel about this stock market. Personally, I think it is a ticking time bomb, and expect a minimum of 30%, but likely more like 50%, fall within months.

I don't. This week I've gotta reinvest some cash-out I took from a stock sale that seemed to have played out. Just musing over the best choice(s) on where to put it, right now it's just sitting cash.

I know what a good one would be, but I'm not telling Pogo.

Yeah I already have ten good ones. Look on the ticker for "X".

A little bit, focusing on strong stocks that pay a good dividend.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com[/QUOTE
I'm curious how investors here feel about this stock market. Personally, I think it is a ticking time bomb, and expect a minimum of 30%, but likely more like 50%, fall within months.

I don't. This week I've gotta reinvest some cash-out I took from a stock sale that seemed to have played out. Just musing over the best choice(s) on where to put it, right now it's just sitting cash.

We closed on a house last Tues and thinking about where to put the money.

So far, a long trip is winning.

We lost a big chunk with the Bush crash and have dreaded what will come with the cheeto.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
I'll bet you will get much better ROI on buying solid dividend stocks than on a long trip which has an ROI of zero.

Wrong. It has an ROI that can't be represented by a number.
Those do exist yanno. I'm still collecting interest on mine forty, fifty years later. You gotta feed the other hemisphere of the brain.

Next.

NEXT
In one sentence you say the Dow is up 400% in 20 years, then in the next sentence you say that by not timing the market you have stayed flat with inflation.

Which is it?

I'm a financial advisor, CFP, ChFC, CLU. Learning how to invest wisely just ain't that tough. The internet is your friend.

I'm referring to your statistic that average investor is up 3.5 % over a period where the market has performed much better. So apparently not timing the market, you know buying at tops and selling at bottoms hasn't worked out to well for the average investor, has it.

I respect you as a financial advisor, but that does not make you a stock professional. I noticed you cited all the cliches, invest smart, risk tolerance, long term goals, etc, but didn't address the thread topic. Look, I'm not a client, so step outside of your professional comfort zone and let us know what you think of this stock market at this level.

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

I'm referring to your statistic that average investor is up 3.5 % over a period where the market has performed much better. So apparently not timing the market, you know buying at tops and selling at bottoms hasn't worked out to well for the average investor, has it.

I respect you as a financial advisor, but that does not make you a stock professional. I noticed you cited all the cliches, invest smart, risk tolerance, long term goals, etc, but didn't address the thread topic. Look, I'm not a client, so step outside of your professional comfort zone and let us know what you think of this stock market at this level.
My point was that active investing, which almost always involves timing of some sort, doesn't work for most people. It's just not a good idea, as fun and sexy and exciting as it may be. All those active investors could have saved a great deal of money, time and grief just investing in an S&P 500 index fund and getting on with their lives.

The cliches became cliches because they're true, and they work. I've seen it all, and it always just comes back to the basics. People are chasing return all the time and usually end up getting burned.

Want an aggressive portfolio that you can just leave alone and will probably beat the market over the next 20 years? Here:

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

Dollar cost average in monthly and you're good to go. Until about age 50-55, when you'll want to start blending in some bonds.

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

My point was that active investing, which almost always involves timing of some sort, doesn't work for most people. It's just not a good idea, as fun and sexy and exciting as it may be. All those active investors could have saved a great deal of money, time and grief just investing in an S&P 500 index fund and getting on with their lives.

The cliches became cliches because they're true, and they work. I've seen it all, and it always just comes back to the basics. People are chasing return all the time and usually end up getting burned.

Want an aggressive portfolio that you can just leave alone and will probably beat the market over the next 20 years? Here:

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

Dollar cost average in monthly and you're good to go. Until about age 50-55, when you'll want to start blending in some bonds.

My apology, I misunderstood your reference to 3.5% return. Since you mentioned it, I thought you were citing it as a reasonable goal.

But back to the thread topic-
do you believe this market is fairly valued and investor sentiment is reasonable,

Or do you think it is overvalued and sentiment is much too bullish?

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

My apology, I misunderstood your reference to 3.5% return. Since you mentioned it, I thought you were citing it as a reasonable goal.

do you believe this market is fairly valued and investor sentiment is reasonable,

Well, yes, it's overvalued, although sentiment is usually wrong and irrelevant. The "experts" have been "predicting" a "pullback" since February of last year, and the market is up around 28% since then. That's why you just can't time the market.

I'd love to see a correction of 18%, 20%. It'll happen, I just can't tell ya when. The fact that the market is indeed overvalued doesn't mean it doesn't have another 30% in it.

And look at the term "over-valued". That's usually based on PE. If there is some decent earnings growth, the market could stay where it is, or even grow, and no longer be over-valued.

NEXT

Which is it?

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

Well, yes, it's overvalued, although sentiment is usually wrong and irrelevant. The "experts" have been "predicting" a "pullback" since February of last year, and the market is up around 28% since then. That's why you just can't time the market.

I'd love to see a correction of 18%, 20%. It'll happen, I just can't tell ya when. The fact that the market is indeed overvalued doesn't mean it doesn't have another 30% in it.

And look at the term "over-valued". That's usually based on PE. If there is some decent earnings growth, the market could stay where it is, or even grow, and no longer be over-valued.

It's starting to feel like a top to me. The breadth and volume has narrowed, we have been on a tear since 2009 with out a significant correction, GDP growth continues to be anemic. I think this market has run because of MASSIVE QE and surprised rates. Investors have not had any other place to put their money. CapX spending is very low, as companies would rather spend cash buying their own stock instead of expansion. We have high marge debt, the VIX is near the same level it was before the 2007-08 crash.

The emergence of ETF's as a favorite could also make a downturn more explosive since they are always full invested. If we get a downturn and sentiment turns bearish, people start selling their ETF's which leads to more selling. I think we will get a violent reaction.

Even if the market runs another 20-30%, it will all be given back and more IMO. I'm waiting to buy until the everybody sells.

Which is it?

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

It's starting to feel like a top to me. The breadth and volume has narrowed, we have been on a tear since 2009 with out a significant correction, GDP growth continues to be anemic. I think this market has run because of MASSIVE QE and surprised rates. Investors have not had any other place to put their money. CapX spending is very low, as companies would rather spend cash buying their own stock instead of expansion. We have high marge debt, the VIX is near the same level it was before the 2007-08 crash.

The emergence of ETF's as a favorite could also make a downturn more explosive since they are always full invested. If we get a downturn and sentiment turns bearish, people start selling their ETF's which leads to more selling. I think we will get a violent reaction.

Even if the market runs another 20-30%, it will all be given back and more IMO. I'm waiting to buy until the everybody sells.
I can see all of that, but remember that as you wait, if the market keeps climbing, you will have wasted that growth even if you do time things perfectly in the future. I just ain't smart enough to do that.

:laugh:

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

I can see all of that, but remember that as you wait, if the market keeps climbing, you will have wasted that growth even if you do time things perfectly in the future. I just ain't smart enough to do that.

No, I disagree. If you think a correction or maybe a crash of 30-40% is inevitable within a year, as I do, you're better off waiting for it, or at the very least keeping a significant of cash available to buy at lower prices.

60% VOO
25% VO
10% VWO
5% VEA

No, I disagree. If you think a correction or maybe a crash of 30-40% is inevitable within a year, as I do, you're better off waiting for it, or at the very least keeping a significant of cash available to buy at lower prices.
Well, that's certainly your call. My crystal ball isn't quite as clear as yours.

We lost a big chunk with the Bush crash and have dreaded what will come with the cheeto.

Do yourself a favor. When it comes to investing, leave your politics out. Presidents rarely have Anything to do with the ultimate performance of the stock market. The last 8 years have surged mostly because of Fed policies of QE and low interest rates. With very little real growth, investors settled into stocks because of the TINA effect.

It's simply fact that the stock market dipped at that time and we lost a good size chunk.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

I'll bet you will get much better ROI on buying solid dividend stocks than on a long trip which has an ROI of zero.

Naw ... Not at our age.

If I were looking at long term, my priorities would be different but there's no reason to plan for oh, say, 20 years from now. Nor am I concerned about what we leave for our son. Our lake home is paid for and we'll live here until we die. It's worth a bundle now and will be worth a lot more in the future. Our son is a scientist, is already pretty well off.

It's quite a lot of money (from the house sale) but we don't have debt, don't need to buy any big ticket items, can't make $ from a savings account, so for now, it can sit.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

Naw ... Not at our age.

If I were looking at long term, my priorities would be different but there's no reason to plan for oh, say, 20 years from now. Nor am I concerned about what we leave for our son. Our lake home is paid for and we'll live here until we die. It's worth a bundle now and will be worth a lot more in the future. Our son is a scientist, is already pretty well off.

It's quite a lot of money (from the house sale) but we don't have debt, don't need to buy any big ticket items, can't make $ from a savings account, so for now, it can sit.

Nothing wrong with that. We're still majority cash and real estate but moving a few percent back into stocks.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

Naw ... Not at our age.

Nothing wrong with that. We're still majority cash and real estate but moving a few percent back into stocks.

Really? You're moving into stocks now. With the market at all time high, no significant correction in 7 years, you decide now is the time to move back into stocks. Interesting. I started selling stocks 3 years ago, after going almost fully invested in 2008-09. Got killed in 2000. Came out of 2007-08 unscathed because of lessons learned in 2000. Now I patiently wait for what will be the biggest buyin opportunity in decades.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

Naw ... Not at our age.

Really? You're moving into stocks now. With the market at all time high, no significant correction in 7 years, you decide now is the time to move back into stocks. Interesting. I started selling stocks 3 years ago, after going almost fully invested in 2008-09. Got killed in 2000. Came out of 2007-08 unscathed because of lessons learned in 2000. Now I patiently wait for what will be the biggest buyin opportunity in decades.
I'm always effectively buying the market since much of my portfolio is in DRPs. After Trump won I've put 5% that was in cash into a few good dividend stocks. But overall stocks are less than half of the portfolio.

Oh wow.

I'll go write that down.

emoji849.png

Naw ... Not at our age.

I'm always effectively buying the market since much of my portfolio is in DRPs. After Trump won I've put 5% that was in cash into a few good dividend stocks. But overall stocks are less than half of the portfolio.

Dividend stocks have done well in this low interest environment.

Forum List

Back