Survey: 85% of New College Grads Move Back in with Mom and Dad

Bones

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

The kids are coming home to roost.
Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like.
PHOTOS: See the evolution of the college dorm
Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere — and doing anything — for work. Meanwhile, moving back home helps with expenses and paying off student loans.
The outlook isn't sunshine and roses: Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, "Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We're seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduates degrees who can't get work."

Brace yourself, folks. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

My buddy is 29 years old, with a Master's Degree, and he is still living with his parents. His younger brother who is 27 just moved out of their house about a year ago.

Massive debt, no jobs, high cost of housing

What other choice is there?

Entry level jobs pay shit

If the professors did their job instead of just hiking tuition into the stratosphere these graduates would not need to start at entry level or have such massive debts. As far as housing goes that is getting cheaper every day as long as the government keeps their fingers out of it. Government touched housing & turned it to shit. Now they have done the same with the higher education system.

Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

The kids are coming home to roost.
Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like.
PHOTOS: See the evolution of the college dorm
Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere — and doing anything — for work. Meanwhile, moving back home helps with expenses and paying off student loans.
The outlook isn't sunshine and roses: Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, "Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We're seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduates degrees who can't get work."

Brace yourself, folks. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

tell me about it....

If the professors did their job instead of just hiking tuition into the stratosphere these graduates would not need to start at entry level or have such massive debts. As far as housing goes that is getting cheaper every day as long as the government keeps their fingers out of it. Government touched housing & turned it to shit. Now they have done the same with the higher education system.

I fail to see why college costs have escalated so much. Most majors involve instruction of 30-100 students. Professors do not make that much

Charging $125,000 for a degree that will pay you $40,000 a year is idiocy

My buddy is 29 years old, with a Master's Degree, and he is still living with his parents. His younger brother who is 27 just moved out of their house about a year ago.

yup, my best Friends daughter graduated last year with a degree in communications from MSU, 2nd in her class etc etc. shes a manager at a retail store, living at home,...the offers she got were for 25k a year jobs as an intern. and here we are.

I fail to see why college costs have escalated so much. Most majors involve instruction of 30-100 students. Professors do not make that much

Colleges jack up tuition rates to match the amount of government backed student loans. Just like when government backed home mortgages it drove house prices through the roof faster than earnings or inflation. Now college tuition rates are climbing at twice the rate of inflation & wages because government is handing out way to much student loan money.

Well people go to school because they believe it makes them smart (lol), but then we find Government has helped make something that would be impossible, possible... And here we are!

Maybe Government needs to help cover more of the cost!

This just in, Government covers more of the cost of tuition immediately followed by a sharp rise in collage tuition.

People so smart they put themselves in debt and now live off their non collage educated parents!

Colleges jack up tuition rates to match the amount of government backed student loans. Just like when government backed home mortgages it drove house prices through the roof faster than earnings or inflation. Now college tuition rates are climbing at twice the rate of inflation & wages because government is handing out way to much student loan money.

It’s almost always true when you apply this rule… “Subsidize what you want more of.”

If you want higher tuition for schools or higher cost for housing, let Government help you buy it =D.

I agree

Once colleges find their classes half full they will lower tuition. Right now, what they do best is find ways for students to borrow money to pay their exorbitant tuition the rest of their lives

They are worse than car salesmen in getting you to cough up money you can't afford for things you don't need

A Master's Degree in Bible memorization doesn't really help. You need engineering, computer science (oops, did I just say "science"?) or some field that actually produces something.
Of course, engineering and science degrees are "really hard".

2 out of 5 student loans are delinquent while university cost climb at 3 times the rate of inflation, faster than health-care or any other segment of the economy. 63% of student borrowers can't make their student loan payments on time. Some university's get 87% of their revenue from Government backed student loans. This money does not all go to education, it funds student debit cards that can buy anything. Students are using the money to live the good life buying Beer, Pizza, Shoes, High Fashion Clothes, Cars, Gas, Jewelery, etc. This is a $1 Trillion subsidy to liberal professors & the unemployed.

CNBC: Price of Admission
College costs that are rising at twice the rate of inflation, CNBC investigates a system that encourages widespread borrowing—often with little regard to a student's ability to pay, leaving the average college graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in student-loan debt. How long can the system be sustained? Are student loans the next subprime mortgages? And if the bubble bursts, who will pay the price?

NYT: Loan Study on Students Goes Beyond Default Rates
For each student who defaults on a loan, at least two more fall behind in payments on their student debt, a new study has found.

The Institute for Higher Education Policy, a nonprofit organization, said in a report that two out of five student loan borrowers were delinquent at some point in the first five years after they started repaying their loans.

Almost a quarter of the borrowers used an option to postpone payments to avoid delinquency.

“We want to get beyond the dichotomy of people who default on their loans and everyone else,” Alisa Cunningham, The study, based on data from five of the nation’s largest student-loan agencies, found that only 37 percent of student borrowers who started repaying their loans in 2005 were able to fully pay them back on time.

And that percentage is probably decreasing, given the high unemployment rate of recent years, Ms. Cunningham said.

With tuition rising more rapidly than inflation or family incomes, student borrowing has been growing. College seniors who graduated in 2009 had an average of $24,000 in student loan debt, up 6 percent from 2008, according to an annual report from the Project on Student Debt.

Mark Kantrowitz, the publisher of Finaid.org and Fastweb.com, estimates total student debt at about $896 billion — more than the nation’s credit-card debt.

Meanwhile, default rates have been rising, to 7 percent, for the 2008 fiscal year, the latest period for which data is available, from 5.2 percent in the 2006 fiscal year. Students who did not graduate were more likely to become deliquent or default.

According to the new study, the majority of student borrowers at both two- and four-year for-profit schools went into deliquency or default. The majority of student borrowers at community colleges also went into delinquency or default. But because community college tuition is far lower than that of for-profit institutions, most community-college students do not take out loans.

Last edited:

Would you invest 125 grand in a business proven to pay you 40 grand a year ?
I damn sure would.

I damn sure would.

Three words you will never hear a single Republican leader say out loud:

Supply

Demand

Invest

A Master's Degree in Bible memorization doesn't really help. You need engineering, computer science (oops, did I just say "science"?) or some field that actually produces something.

Something tells me you don't have a degree in anything.

What degree do you have?

I damn sure would.

Three words you will never hear a single Republican leader say out loud:

Supply

Demand

Invest

Is anyone else loling the shit out of Rtards posts tonight?

Forum List

Back