Survey: 85% of New College Grads Move Back in with Mom and Dad

Blame everyone and everything else first as always right, righty? Maybe what parents and prospective students need to do is objectively question whether college is going to set you on the right path to financial success in the first place. Most will quickly find that it doesn't. There is no lack of jobs out there. I receive e-mails for literally dozenzs of job openings on a daily basis from career websites like monster and career builder. What there is, is a lack of people with the skill sets to fill those openings.

Kids today go into college with the completely the wrong mind set. They go to college to study what they WANT to study, sometime to prepare them for a career, sometimes not. And I guess they just assume that theres gonna be job available that pays well regardless of the skills they learned in college. Well that simply isn't so. Before going to college you either have to decide if you want to make money afterward or just do whatever makes you happy. Those two goals aren't always going to line up. It's fine if you under water basket weaving really waves your flag and that's what you want to study, just don't have the unreasonable expectation that there's going to be a six figure job waiting for you after college.

I know this because in hindsight, my college tuition was a colossal waste of investment. Everyone here gets that I like politics otherwise I wouldn't hang out here, so in college I was a poli-sci major cause it was what I liked. Are the poli-sci skills in real demand in the labor market? No. If a person is smart they will study labor trends BEFORE choosing where to go to college or what to study and major in what is paying.

That works to a point. Many times the hot careers when you were a freshman have dried up by the time you graduate. The larger problem is that there is a lack of entry level jobs in most fields

It's simply not true. There may be a lack of jobs in what people majored in. Law school is a big issue now for example. But areas like customer service have tons of entry level openings.

Yea. $10 an hour with no benefits is really cool

That works to a point. Many times the hot careers when you were a freshman have dried up by the time you graduate. The larger problem is that there is a lack of entry level jobs in most fields

It's simply not true. There may be a lack of jobs in what people majored in. Law school is a big issue now for example. But areas like customer service have tons of entry level openings.

how do you pay back student loans making $10 an hour?

THAT'S why they're back and living with mom and dad.

Actually the avg. salary for customer service is around $15.00/hr and I have excellent benefits.

how do you pay back student loans making $10 an hour?

THAT'S why they're back and living with mom and dad.

Something one should have considered BEFORE pursuing a major of no value.

We had this discussion before. "College for All" is one of the biggest scams in this country. Students who are struggling through high school are simply postponing their adulthood by going on to college. Major money is being wasted in high school preparing these kids for nothing and then being wasted on colleges, who prepare them for nothing. A good number won't even finish.

My son will be starting a a 5 year co-op program in engineering in the fall. Six months of classwork; six months of working in the field. They claim 98% of the graduates have full time jobs when they graduate. I hope so. It will cost us a quarter mil to get there. :eusa_pray:

I think my husband and I will move into a one bedroom apt. before he graduates. :lol:

Actually the avg. salary for customer service is around $15.00/hr and I have excellent benefits.

I stand corrected....

A four year degree costing over $100k yields you a $30,000 job with no future. Mom and dad....here I come

Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

The kids are coming home to roost.
Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like.
PHOTOS: See the evolution of the college dorm
Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere — and doing anything — for work. Meanwhile, moving back home helps with expenses and paying off student loans.
The outlook isn't sunshine and roses: Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, "Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We're seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduates degrees who can't get work."

Brace yourself, folks. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

How many of the 85% had marketable degrees?

We had this discussion before. "College for All" is one of the biggest scams in this country. Students who are struggling through high school are simply postponing their adulthood by going on to college. Major money is being wasted in high school preparing these kids for nothing and then being wasted on colleges, who prepare them for nothing. A good number won't even finish.

My son will be starting a a 5 year co-op program in engineering in the fall. Six months of classwork; six months of working in the field. They claim 98% of the graduates have full time jobs when they graduate. I hope so. It will cost us a quarter mil to get there. :eusa_pray:

I think my husband and I will move into a one bedroom apt. before he graduates. :lol:

Drexel?

Yes. It was funny at orientation when someone asked about the other 2 percent. The woman just scratched her head.

My son went there for Architecture. He went to Community College for his first two years and Drexel accepted all the credits. It is a lot cheaper to pay $90 a credit at CC than $1000 a credit at Drexel for introductory courses
My son was paid $15 an hour at his co-op which paid for much of his tuition

Community College is a great deal. I promote it to my students endlessly. I teach high school health occupations in the Career and Technical Education department, formerly known as Vocational Education. Most of my students will never enter health care for various reasons so I work to show them other occupations. Plumbers make good money and apprenticeships are available. I tell them about a local electrical company that trains kids right out of high school and within a few years are making 60 to 70 K a year.

Chanel, I agree that much money is wasted on trying to get certain kids through 12th grade. I have one student (among many with IEPs) that receives 60 hours of special education services per month. She doesn't care and does not try. A couple of days ago, I asked her why she even showed up for class. She said that she would have to go back to court if she did not go to school. What a waste.

I stand corrected....

A four year degree costing over $100k yields you a $30,000 job with no future. Mom and dad....here I come

This is why people like you don't get ahead. You put up more barriers for yourself than any societal one. You tell yourself it's not possible to advance and voila you don't. The fact is that simply isn't the case. You can move up in customer service. You can become a shift manager and once you have management experience you can manage pretty much any department.

Blame everyone and everything else first as always right, righty? Maybe what parents and prospective students need to do is objectively question whether college is going to set you on the right path to financial success in the first place. Most will quickly find that it doesn't. There is no lack of jobs out there. I receive e-mails for literally dozenzs of job openings on a daily basis from career websites like monster and career builder. What there is, is a lack of people with the skill sets to fill those openings.
Yeah and there are hundreds upon hundreds of people jockeying to obtain that one job. The job:applier ratio is skewed in the latter's direction.

Community College is a great deal. I promote it to my students endlessly. I teach high school health occupations in the Career and Technical Education department, formerly known as Vocational Education. Most of my students will never enter health care for various reasons so I work to show them other occupations. Plumbers make good money and apprenticeships are available. I tell them about a local electrical company that trains kids right out of high school and within a few years are making 60 to 70 K a year.

Chanel, I agree that much money is wasted on trying to get certain kids through 12th grade. I have one student (among many with IEPs) that receives 60 hours of special education services per month. She doesn't care and does not try. A couple of days ago, I asked her why she even showed up for class. She said that she would have to go back to court if she did not go to school. What a waste.

I saw several graduates of HS special education get into college & have tutors & counselors basically doing their assignments for them to get them a degree. These counselors got them into jobs when they graduated. They haven't held any of those jobs more than a few weeks before they are fired. Talk about a waste of tax dollars. I am reminded of the movie "CaddyShack" when Judge Smails says to Danny "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too."

Mike Rowe, host & producer of the Discovery channel show "Dirty Jobs" Testified before congress on this very subject. The video can be viewed here. We over educate to many students that should be going into trade schools & apprentice jobs. In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. That has caused a huge employment gap in this country having to few tradesmen to fill hundreds of thousands of skilled trade jobs that now pay way more than the college graduates are getting paid.

Modbert

Do you think the amount you have to pay in tuition is worth the price? Not in terms of potential future earnings, but in the quality of service you receive for your money

Do I think plenty of schools overcharge? You better believe it. But it's like I said earlier in the thread, state governments are cutting back on their contribution for education. It's not as if colleges want to price themselves out of students reach.

I pay about $7000 a year, not including books.

As for quality of service, it's a difficult thing to quantify. I mean, what kind of price can you put on a education? For me, I've taken some classes that were boring and useless to say the least. For others, I've learned material I may not of otherwise.

I'll give you an example:

This semester I took five classes.

Computers in Management, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Writing, Business Statistics I, and Introduction to Political Thought. As an Accounting major, four of those classes are directly tied into my major and the fifth is a general education course that was perhaps my most interesting course this semester. Were some of them ridiculously easy? I thought Computers in Management and Business Writing was. Some people, maybe not so much.

Do I think they all taught me something however? Most certainly. I also thought they all prepared me better for my future career path. This semester I also happened to have some of the best professors I've taken classes with at my school. I've had the luck of having for the exception of one or two, really great professors who want to help their students learn.

So that is my long answer. Shorter answer, yes I think I do. Do I wish I could pay less? You bet. If the tuition went up to say $20,000 though, I would have to really think about it. I suppose it's all about opportunity cost, etc.

I do think many students in this country are getting a bad deal to say the least. But I also think some students also put themselves in that situation. Though I would say that most of them do not put themselves there intentionally.

I just don't see where the money goes. College professors do not make that much money especially associate professors. Those 30 -100 students in each class are collectively paying a lot of money for a little bit of face time.

The 8 colleges near me each have several construction cranes hovering around & busy construction crews. They have expanded & gotten huge plush face lifts. Mega sports complexes. The parking lots are filled with expensive new automobiles. The teachers & students are dressed in the latest fashion. I did not know that nice buildings, cars & sports stadiums taught students or made better, brighter & smarter graduates who make our country more competitive.

Apparently I was mistaken. Because when I went to college the majority of the freshmen dropped out or flunked out. Now it seems even the stupid lazy ones are getting degrees. I had a job just so I could make ends meet in college. It was very hard to do both school & work. Now days most live & go to school on just loans & grants. No jobs or sweat equity required.

IMHO they don't do or know shit when they graduate.

We have many students like that. Parents would be shocked if they knew how many criminals are "sentenced" to attend school. For a few years, we had a probation officer on campus.

My husband is a plumber who never went to college. Every couple of years he calls the Vocational school to see if they have any graduating seniors looking for work. And each time, they tell him that 100% already have jobs. But of course, that's only a handful of kids. Even my own kids aren't interested in "manual labor". Physical work is too demanding I guess.

The unemployment rate for engineering and computer occupations is rising faster than for other professionals, according to the IEEE, which says first quarter labor statistics reveal a significant increase in the jobless rates among engineers.
According to a press release from the IEEE, the unemployment rate for all engineers jumped from 2.9 percent to 3.9 percent from the last quarter of 2008 to the first quarter this year. The IEEE says the numbers grew faster when compared with the increase in unemployment from quarter to quarter for all professional workers—from three percent to 3.7 percent—over the same timeframe. And perhaps even more worrisome, the IEEE says, is the increase of the unemployment rate from 1.2 percent overall in 2007 to nearly four percent now.

Unemployment Rate for Engineers Spikes CIO.com
Government labor reports released this year, including the most recent one, present a tableau of shrinking opportunities in high-skill fields.
Job growth in fields like computer systems design and Internet publishing has been slow in the last year. Employment in areas like data processing and software publishing has actually fallen. Additionally, computer scientists, systems analysts and computer programmers all had unemployment rates of around 6 percent in the second quarter of this year.
While that might sound like a blessing compared with the rampant joblessness in manufacturing, it is still significantly higher than the unemployment rates in other white-collar professions.

Tech Sector, Slow to Hire, Unlikely to Lead Recovery - NYTimes.com

Forum List

Back