Survey: 85% of New College Grads Move Back in with Mom and Dad

I fail to see why college costs have escalated so much. Most majors involve instruction of 30-100 students. Professors do not make that much

Charging $125,000 for a degree that will pay you $40,000 a year is idiocy
Would you invest 125 grand in a business proven to pay you 40 grand a year ?
I damn sure would.

Not I would not invest $125K for a degree to make $40K/yr if I could make $31K right out of HS without college. The extra 9K difference in pay won't pay for the $125K degree + $53K interest on that money + $124K for 4 years of lost pay & experience I would have missed while in college. No you could not make up the difference before you retire.

The only way it works is to get a job out of HS & pay your own way through college while working. You save $53K in interest & get paid $124K for the 4 years of work that most college kids don't do while in college.

Now just think if you took that $125K worth of student loan money & invested it for the 4 years you were in college & the 10 to 15 years you were making payments on it. Hell if you just used it to buy gold 10 years ago you would already have $750K - $125K loan - $34K interest = $591 in your pocket. At that rate you could make $135 Million before you retire.

Or you could join the military and Uncle Sam can pay for your education.

Course they spend so much time being deployed these days that they wouldn't be able to start their eduction till they get out.

Would you invest 125 grand in a business proven to pay you 40 grand a year ?
I damn sure would.

Not I would not invest $125K for a degree to make $40K/yr if I could make $31K right out of HS without college. The extra 9K difference in pay won't pay for the $125K degree + $53K interest on that money + $124K for 4 years of lost pay & experience I would have missed while in college. No you could not make up the difference before you retire.

The only way it works is to get a job out of HS & pay your own way through college while working. You save $53K in interest & get paid $124K for the 4 years of work that most college kids don't do while in college.

Now just think if you took that $125K worth of student loan money & invested it for the 4 years you were in college & the 10 to 15 years you were making payments on it. Hell if you just used it to buy gold 10 years ago you would already have $750K - $125K loan - $34K interest = $591 in your pocket. At that rate you could make $135 Million before you retire.

That might be a grand plan if the kids could borrow that $125,000 and invest it instead of paying for college with it.

But that's not an option for them.

That is not exactly true. Students can get a "Higher One" student loan debit card & use the student loan money to buy anything they want. That is exactly what is happening today. They are living on student loans in the same way people were living on home equity loans during the sub-prime loan bubble. They could invest that money & get better returns than their tuition is getting them.

College Grad: "I wish I’d gone to prison instead"

Last edited:
How many times i heard the words " I wont work for less then...."

One of the thing college also does to its grads is to make them job snobs and working to survive is beneath them. Why work when its so much more pleasant to move back home.

Sweeping generalizations! Hooray!

Truth hurts doesn't it?

Except it isn't true. Though I wouldn't expect any rational thinking on your part if you're willing to make such sweeping generalizations.

I wonder how you'd feel if I made a sweeping generalization saying all old white Conservatives are racist. Probably wouldn't like it so much. But hey, when it agrees with your ideology, a-ok by you! :thup:

That might be a grand plan if the kids could borrow that $125,000 and invest it instead of paying for college with it.

But that's not an option for them.

What? You don't have $125,000 laying around the house? I think I have that in my couch. Of course, armchair economist doesn't take into account about if someone invested in the stock market five years ago, there's a fairly large chance they lost their entire investment after the 2008 financial crisis.

Most recent college grads do not have much of a choice. When faced with a College debt payment that will exceed your rent payment, it makes more sense to get an early jump on repaying debt. With job offers so scarce and wages and benefits minimal....the old bedroom looks tempting

Not I would not invest $125K for a degree to make $40K/yr if I could make $31K right out of HS without college. The extra 9K difference in pay won't pay for the $125K degree + $53K interest on that money + $124K for 4 years of lost pay & experience I would have missed while in college. No you could not make up the difference before you retire..

This is of course assuming:

1.) Your degree costs you $125,000.

2.) You're going to be making $31,000 right out of HS.

3.) You're only going to make $40,000 from your degree.

Of course, what you fail to mention is the debt amount the average college student has to pay. Small hint, it's not $125,000 a year. Of course, it may have risen a little bit since 2007-2008 but not dramatically.

FinAid | Student Loans

Few students can afford to pay for college without some form of education financing. Two-thirds (65.6%) of 4-year undergraduate students graduated with a Bachelor's degree and some debt in 2007-08, and the average student loan debt among graduating seniors was $23,186 (excluding PLUS Loans but including Stafford, Perkins, state, college and private loans). Among graduating 4-year undergraduate students who applied for federal student aid, 86.3% borrowed to pay for their education and the average cumulative debt was $24,651. (For just federal student loan debt, excluding PLUS Loans, the figures are 61.6% and $17,878.) Average cumulative debt increased by 5.6% or $1,139 a year since 2003-04. When one includes PLUS loans in the total, 66.0% of 4-year undergraduate students graduated with some debt in 2007-08, and the average cumulative debt incurred was $27,803. (About two in fifteen (13.5%) of parents borrow PLUS loans for their children's college education, with a cumulative PLUS loan debt of $23,298.)

Not I would not invest $125K for a degree to make $40K/yr if I could make $31K right out of HS without college. The extra 9K difference in pay won't pay for the $125K degree + $53K interest on that money + $124K for 4 years of lost pay & experience I would have missed while in college. No you could not make up the difference before you retire..

This is of course assuming:

1.) Your degree costs you $125,000.

2.) You're going to be making $31,000 right out of HS.

3.) You're only going to make $40,000 from your degree.

Of course, what you fail to mention is the debt amount the average college student has to pay. Small hint, it's not $125,000 a year. Of course, it may have risen a little bit since 2007-2008 but not dramatically.

FinAid | Student Loans

Few students can afford to pay for college without some form of education financing. Two-thirds (65.6%) of 4-year undergraduate students graduated with a Bachelor's degree and some debt in 2007-08, and the average student loan debt among graduating seniors was $23,186 (excluding PLUS Loans but including Stafford, Perkins, state, college and private loans). Among graduating 4-year undergraduate students who applied for federal student aid, 86.3% borrowed to pay for their education and the average cumulative debt was $24,651. (For just federal student loan debt, excluding PLUS Loans, the figures are 61.6% and $17,878.) Average cumulative debt increased by 5.6% or $1,139 a year since 2003-04. When one includes PLUS loans in the total, 66.0% of 4-year undergraduate students graduated with some debt in 2007-08, and the average cumulative debt incurred was $27,803. (About two in fifteen (13.5%) of parents borrow PLUS loans for their children's college education, with a cumulative PLUS loan debt of $23,298.)

Modbert

Do you think the amount you have to pay in tuition is worth the price? Not in terms of potential future earnings, but in the quality of service you receive for your money

My daughter just finished her internship. Her review? If there wasn't a hiring freeze on they'd be making her a job offer. Of course she couldn't accept because she's still got another year of school left . . . but still -- not too shabby, eh? She's looking to do another internship there in a different department next Spring and (fingers crossed) the hiring freeze will be lifted and she'll get a job offer. :D

What's wrong with college grads moving back home for a bit before they go out on their own? I moved out when I was 23 and never looked back. A few years at home post graduation to save some bucks to build a healthy emergency fund is a good idea.

Modbert

Do you think the amount you have to pay in tuition is worth the price? Not in terms of potential future earnings, but in the quality of service you receive for your money

Do I think plenty of schools overcharge? You better believe it. But it's like I said earlier in the thread, state governments are cutting back on their contribution for education. It's not as if colleges want to price themselves out of students reach.

I pay about $7000 a year, not including books.

As for quality of service, it's a difficult thing to quantify. I mean, what kind of price can you put on a education? For me, I've taken some classes that were boring and useless to say the least. For others, I've learned material I may not of otherwise.

I'll give you an example:

This semester I took five classes.

Computers in Management, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Writing, Business Statistics I, and Introduction to Political Thought. As an Accounting major, four of those classes are directly tied into my major and the fifth is a general education course that was perhaps my most interesting course this semester. Were some of them ridiculously easy? I thought Computers in Management and Business Writing was. Some people, maybe not so much.

Do I think they all taught me something however? Most certainly. I also thought they all prepared me better for my future career path. This semester I also happened to have some of the best professors I've taken classes with at my school. I've had the luck of having for the exception of one or two, really great professors who want to help their students learn.

So that is my long answer. Shorter answer, yes I think I do. Do I wish I could pay less? You bet. If the tuition went up to say $20,000 though, I would have to really think about it. I suppose it's all about opportunity cost, etc.

I do think many students in this country are getting a bad deal to say the least. But I also think some students also put themselves in that situation. Though I would say that most of them do not put themselves there intentionally.

My daughter just finished her internship. Her review? If there wasn't a hiring freeze on they'd be making her a job offer. Of course she couldn't accept because she's still got another year of school left . . . but still -- not too shabby, eh? She's looking to do another internship there in a different department next Spring and (fingers crossed) the hiring freeze will be lifted and she'll get a job offer. :D

What's wrong with college grads moving back home for a bit before they go out on their own? I moved out when I was 23 and never looked back. A few years at home post graduation to save some bucks to build a healthy emergency fund is a good idea.

Well that's good your daughter is doing well there Zoom. I personally don't see a problem with college graduates moving back home for a bit before they go out on their own. Like you said, a good way to build a healthy emergency fund. On top of that, I see in a lot of cases where people just can't wait to leave home, and then end up regretting it in the long run for a multitude of reasons. And it's not just a laziness factor either.

Modbert

Do I think plenty of schools overcharge? You better believe it. But it's like I said earlier in the thread, state governments are cutting back on their contribution for education. It's not as if colleges want to price themselves out of students reach.

I pay about $7000 a year, not including books.

As for quality of service, it's a difficult thing to quantify. I mean, what kind of price can you put on a education? For me, I've taken some classes that were boring and useless to say the least. For others, I've learned material I may not of otherwise.

I'll give you an example:

This semester I took five classes.

Computers in Management, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Writing, Business Statistics I, and Introduction to Political Thought. As an Accounting major, four of those classes are directly tied into my major and the fifth is a general education course that was perhaps my most interesting course this semester. Were some of them ridiculously easy? I thought Computers in Management and Business Writing was. Some people, maybe not so much.

Do I think they all taught me something however? Most certainly. I also thought they all prepared me better for my future career path. This semester I also happened to have some of the best professors I've taken classes with at my school. I've had the luck of having for the exception of one or two, really great professors who want to help their students learn.

So that is my long answer. Shorter answer, yes I think I do. Do I wish I could pay less? You bet. If the tuition went up to say $20,000 though, I would have to really think about it. I suppose it's all about opportunity cost, etc.

I do think many students in this country are getting a bad deal to say the least. But I also think some students also put themselves in that situation. Though I would say that most of them do not put themselves there intentionally.

I just don't see where the money goes. College professors do not make that much money especially associate professors. Those 30 -100 students in each class are collectively paying a lot of money for a little bit of face time.

I just don't see where the money goes. College professors do not make that much money especially associate professors. Those 30 -100 students in each class are collectively paying a lot of money for a little bit of face time.

For me, its a different experience then what many other college students have to go through. I've only had one class where there was more than 30 kids, and that was for a Biology class in a lecture hall And even then, the professor was always open to helping students. Most of my classes have tops 22-25 students. By the end of the semester, it usually dwindles down to between 10-18. I know in two of my classes this semester, there was about ten people a class by the end of the semester.

Plus, I'm a bit of a overachiever to say the least. So I may not be the best source to ask either. But that's my perspective of things. :lol:

Massive debt, no jobs, high cost of housing

What other choice is there?

Entry level jobs pay shit

Blame everyone and everything else first as always right, righty? Maybe what parents and prospective students need to do is objectively question whether college is going to set you on the right path to financial success in the first place. Most will quickly find that it doesn't. There is no lack of jobs out there. I receive e-mails for literally dozenzs of job openings on a daily basis from career websites like monster and career builder. What there is, is a lack of people with the skill sets to fill those openings.

Kids today go into college with the completely the wrong mind set. They go to college to study what they WANT to study, sometime to prepare them for a career, sometimes not. And I guess they just assume that theres gonna be job available that pays well regardless of the skills they learned in college. Well that simply isn't so. Before going to college you either have to decide if you want to make money afterward or just do whatever makes you happy. Those two goals aren't always going to line up. It's fine if you under water basket weaving really waves your flag and that's what you want to study, just don't have the unreasonable expectation that there's going to be a six figure job waiting for you after college.

I know this because in hindsight, my college tuition was a colossal waste of investment. Everyone here gets that I like politics otherwise I wouldn't hang out here, so in college I was a poli-sci major cause it was what I liked. Are the poli-sci skills in real demand in the labor market? No. If a person is smart they will study labor trends BEFORE choosing where to go to college or what to study and major in what is paying.

For me, its a different experience then what many other college students have to go through. I've only had one class where there was more than 30 kids, and that was for a Biology class in a lecture hall And even then, the professor was always open to helping students. Most of my classes have tops 22-25 students. By the end of the semester, it usually dwindles down to between 10-18. I know in two of my classes this semester, there was about ten people a class by the end of the semester.

Plus, I'm a bit of a overachiever to say the least. So I may not be the best source to ask either. But that's my perspective of things. :lol:

In a lot of cases you get what you pay for. Class sizes at the college i went to were small also. Less than 30 generally. These are traditionally private schools. That's one reason some places cost more because there is deemed value in smaller teacher to student ratios, which is why state schools cost less.

Blame everyone and everything else first as always right, righty? Maybe what parents and prospective students need to do is objectively question whether college is going to set you on the right path to financial success in the first place. Most will quickly find that it doesn't. There is no lack of jobs out there. I receive e-mails for literally dozenzs of job openings on a daily basis from career websites like monster and career builder. What there is, is a lack of people with the skill sets to fill those openings.

Kids today go into college with the completely the wrong mind set. They go to college to study what they WANT to study, sometime to prepare them for a career, sometimes not. And I guess they just assume that theres gonna be job available that pays well regardless of the skills they learned in college. Well that simply isn't so. Before going to college you either have to decide if you want to make money afterward or just do whatever makes you happy. Those two goals aren't always going to line up. It's fine if you under water basket weaving really waves your flag and that's what you want to study, just don't have the unreasonable expectation that there's going to be a six figure job waiting for you after college.

I know this because in hindsight, my college tuition was a colossal waste of investment. Everyone here gets that I like politics otherwise I wouldn't hang out here, so in college I was a poli-sci major cause it was what I liked. Are the poli-sci skills in real demand in the labor market? No. If a person is smart they will study labor trends BEFORE choosing where to go to college or what to study and major in what is paying.

That works to a point. Many times the hot careers when you were a freshman have dried up by the time you graduate. The larger problem is that there is a lack of entry level jobs in most fields

Last edited:

That works to a point. Many times the hot careers when you were a freshman have dried up by the time you graduate. The larger problem is that there is a lack of entry level jobs in most fields

It's simply not true. There may be a lack of jobs in what people majored in. Law school is a big issue now for example. But areas like customer service have tons of entry level openings.

Forum List

Back