whats your personal stake in education?

What category are you in?

• I have children, and I favor cutting education.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I have no children, and I favor cutting education.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have children, and I don't want to cut funding.

• I have no children, and I don't want to cut funding.

• I'm a grandparent and I favor cutting funding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a grandparent and I don't want to cut funding

• My kids / grandkids are not in the system so cut away

• My kids / grandkids are not in the system but don't cut

• Other and I'll explain

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
There seems to be alot of people who are all for cutting education money per student. There seems to be alot of people who are all for going after the teachers union. College education also seems to be under attack financially. My son is graduating this year and will be attending U of M in the fall. I now have to rethink my position on all of the education spending that goes on in my state and how I will vote when it comes to millages. So this is what I was wondering...

How many people out there are in favor of cutting education that have children in public schools?

Are the people who are in favor of severly cutting education the ones who don't have children in the system?

I favor cutting education but not on the college level, because my son is no longer in highschool but in college. This is an eye opening self realization. This is a selfish position and I'm supprised I feel this way. I think I might be becoming more of a conservative than I thought, "I got mine and screw everyone else". There are just so many rationalizations I can use to make me feel better about this descision, but really none of them hold up. This is our country and our children, not just mine, and they are the future leaders of this country. But then I think, "I'll be dead by the time they get into power" so it doesn't really matter anyway. I got to think on this one.

Take a look at the classes offered by schools, then ask yourself; Why the hell is this even a class.

If you find yourself doing that often, then you know there is tons of waste.

The main reason college cost so damn much is that they know many students will get money from the government. About 1/2 will be covered with grants and the other 1/2 covered by, now, government loans. They have 0 reasons to reign in cost since they know that anyone that dares call them on it will be told they hate children, hate education, hate hate hate.

conservatives are not selfish, we just know that liberals are to dumb to know they are fucking things up.

Take a look at the classes offered by schools, then ask yourself; Why the hell is this even a class.

The main reason college cost so damn much is that they know many students will get money from the government. About 1/2 will be covered with grants and the other 1/2 covered by, now, government loans. They have 0 reasons to reign in cost since they know that anyone that dares call them on it will be told they hate children, hate education, hate hate hate.

conservatives are not selfish, we just know that liberals are to dumb to know they are fucking things up.

Your observation on college costs is right and I agree with your POV on that. When it comes to K-12 there are no government loans, grants or anything else, unless we move to a voucher system and then the government will then be footing the bill to private schools. This will create a college pay system in the K-12 private schools, and that can't be good.

I've got an interesting situation.

Both my kids graduated from the high school in which I teach. I have since moved to a neighboring county. This county just raised property taxes to build a new library which I will never use and to give teachers a pay raise. My employer has not given us a step or COLA increase in two years.

So, am I in favor of throwing more money at my county's schools? No
Would I like to get a pay raise? Yes

My daughter graduated from a state university and my son will graduate from one in a few days. The cost of education is huge and throwing more money at the system is not always the answer. To answer your question of cutting education: cutting funding to education is being done across the country without having to actually cut education.

I'm in favor of government agency belt tightening at all levels including DOD. With one exception of course. My military retirement benefits are not an entitlement. They are promises kept from a grateful nation so the bureaucrats need to keep their paws off.

Your observation on college costs is right and I agree with your POV on that. When it comes to K-12 there are no government loans, grants or anything else, unless we move to a voucher system and then the government will then be footing the bill to private schools. This will create a college pay system in the K-12 private schools, and that can't be good.

Just this morning on FOX they reported that the Fed will spend ~$2 million to veiw what our kids are eating and how much they throw away. And I think that is just the cost to install the cameras. [I was on my way out]

The Fed needs to get uninvolved in education and let the states take care of thier own children.

States should be free to teach kids what the population wants, not what poloticians want.

Our kids are now adults and we don't yet have grandchildren.

In my opinion our educational system is broken and has been forever. We teach almost every kid the same way, and yet they are all different. We label kids as "gifted" or "delayed" or "challenged" but rarely look at why they excel or fail. It's so easy to say "ain't it awful" and blame others for what is in fact a systemic failure.

Every kid has a unique learning style; some kids need to touch, manipulate and explore yet are expected to sit quietly and "don't touch". Adults, parents, educators and policy makers too often make learning not fun.

Every child needs to be able to read and comprehend, express themselves verbally and in writing and compute. Not every child has the ability and/or motivation to learn abstractly but nearly every child wants to understand how things work. For the parents reading this, remember the "What's that?" period of your pre-schooler? How did that natural curiosity become extinguised by the seond or third grade for too many kids?

In my opinion because they were stuck in a seat and denied the opportunity to explore the world. I remember being stuck in a seat, not listening to whatever the teacher was saying and my eyes wandered to the world map hanging over the black (actually green) chalk board. I remember looking at Africa and the Gulf of Mexico and 'seeing' out they might fit together. When I raised my hand and pointed this out, my (third grade?) teacher's only comment was for me to listen to the lesson.

In my opinion our educational system is broken and has been forever. We teach almost every kid the same way, and yet they are all different. We label kids as "gifted" or "delayed" or "challenged" but rarely look at why they excel or fail. It's so easy to say "ain't it awful" and blame others for what is in fact a systemic failure.

Every kid has a unique learning style; some kids need to touch, manipulate and explore yet are expected to sit quietly and "don't touch". Adults, parents, educators and policy makers too often make learning not fun.

Every child needs to be able to read and comprehend, express themselves verbally and in writing and compute. Not every child has the ability and/or motivation to learn abstractly but nearly every child wants to understand how things work. For the parents reading this, remember the "What's that?" period of your pre-schooler? How did that natural curiosity become extinguised by the seond or third grade for too many kids?

In my opinion because they were stuck in a seat and denied the opportunity to explore the world. I remember being stuck in a seat, not listening to whatever the teacher was saying and my eyes wandered to the world map hanging over the black (actually green) chalk board. I remember looking at Africa and the Gulf of Mexico and 'seeing' out they might fit together. When I raised my hand and pointed this out, my (third grade?) teacher's only comment was for me to listen to the lesson.

Ever notice you rarely see an honor student in shop class?

Other.

I support defederalizing education and returning control to parents via vouchers.

It's not a coincidence that the more power over public education has been concentrated at the Federal Level, the quality of education has deteriorated.

Ever notice you rarely see a shop class?

Other.

I support defederalizing education and returning control to parents via vouchers.

It's not a coincidence that the more power over public education has been concentrated at the Federal Level, the quality of education has deteriorated.

Yes, defederalize eduaction and return control to the parents, but no vouchers. All that will do is turn K-12 into a college like funding mess. Costs will rise because it will still be the federal govt supplying the money just like student loans. Private schools will then just keep raising their fees because they know the government will give them the money.

I have no children, nor will I ever. My two nephews and my niece will be homeschooled by their parents. Both of my parents and quite a few of my other relatives are or have been teachers in either public or parochial school settings and I am MOST DEFINITELY FOR CUTTING EDUCATIONAL SPENDING.

There was a time in this country where the "extras" at school (gym, art, tech ed, etc...) were just that... EXTRAS. They were the reward for doing well in the core curriculum. Now they've become expected, and in many cases mandated parts of the curriculum. Why the hell are we spending money on these extras when these kids can't even read, write, speak proper English, or have the vaguest notion of this country's history?

No. It's offered at the middle school level here in PA, so I have all my kids take at least one of them.

Secondary education seems to put the most focus on moving kids onto 'higher' education, but define higher education as only achieved only at a university. Every community ought to have a polytechnical high school for those gifted with the talent to take apart and put back together today's machines and those of the future.

Of course tactial learners need to be able to read and comprehend, compute and reason. Yet we lose too many by putting them in a seat to read Shakespeare or other classics when they these skills can be learned by structuring 'academic' course work within the context of building, repairing or improving the machines of the 21st Century.

A polytechnical school can provide academic classes in the sciences and math, history and government, Grammar and literature - all structured to make sense to a tactial learner who is made to see the connection between such study and the hands on work they enjoy.

My father taught Industrial Arts (Wood Shop, Metal Shop, Drafting, Small Engine Repair) on the High School and Jr High level for eight and a half years in the late 70's and early 80's. My experience in the early 1990's as a student was similar to his as a teacher.... IA is where they sent the kids who coldn't or wouldn't sit still in regular classes. Then, instead of teaching the kids who did want to be there how to use things they might actually benefit from in their real world adult lives, the instructors were pressed to utilize the larger machinery while de-emphasizing the hand tools that these kids might actually own themselves some day.

Forum List

Back